Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

That bass and rig must have sounded amazing. 

Dave

Ah mate it was epic! Can’t beat a Ripper, I mean I have 4 😂 That Hiwatt Custom is superb too

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Obrienp said:

I must learn to let the amp do the work, as I have blisters on my picking fingers this morning: 2 1/2 hours of playing north of 140 BPM (a lot North of 160). 

Amen to that. Yesterday I realised I was digging in too much to keep up with two guitars. Turned up the volume and finger plucked quite softly for the rest of the set until Born to be Wild. Then I dug in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Your drummer listens to bass?  Sometimes I wonder how important bass is to the rest of the band. It seems like they're focusing for the most part on their own individual performance. 

Ours does, in fact we often syncronise rhythms for fun, no planning it happened organically. Rhythm guitarist however must lock into som other-wordly rhythm

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Amen to that. Yesterday I realised I was digging in too much to keep up with two guitars. Turned up the volume and finger plucked quite softly for the rest of the set until Born to be Wild. Then I dug in.

Some songs just need that little bit of edge. 

That's the way i've gone. I now only dig in for 4-5 songs in the Glam set and the rest i play a bit softer. 

I've done similar with the Punk band but so many raunchy songs its difficult to curb my enthusiasm.

Dave

• Like 1

Our second last Sunday jam in the old dive , the bar will be moving after next Sunday. I’ve been in the house band for 28 years , hard to believe how the time has gone. I’m the longest there , the drummer has been there for about 26 years. I’m going to miss the old dive , it’s a classic , but am optimistic about the new digs. It will be closed for a week or two during the transition. They will be moving the bar itself.

We had a wonderful bunch up to jam , trumpet , two trombones , bari sax , two altos , keyboards , a pile of guitar players , two other bassists , three drummers … a great night.

• Like 12

18 hours ago, lozkerr said:

Played our first Fringe gig last night with the punk band. Well, it was in a Fringe venue although not an official show. But it does mean we can be economic with the actualité and casually say that 'when we played the Fringe...' Fake it 'til you make it and all that.

The Stingray had its second outing and acquitted itself very well. The bass amp was an old Laney box - no idea of the model - but the Stingray sounded really good through it.

We supported The Futureheads last summer.*

* We played a pub that is owned by one of The Futureheads and after we finished he came on stage, said thanks to the band over the microphone, and then switched the jukebox on. So technically that was a DJ set from a member of The Futureheads, so we did absolutely, unequivocally support them last summer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Saturday was my newish pop punk band playing a birthday party at a tiny bar in the wilds of County Durham. Good gig, and a real trial by fire for our hastily-recruited new drummer who outdid himself. Very happy all around. This project is struggling to find its feet a little and so it was really nice to have a good gig. We have a medley in C that seems to get longer every gig. It's for songs that we have tried to turn into pop punk versions but they haven't quite worked, if there are any salvageable bits that do work we add them to a medley. The crowd simply would not let us transition out of 'Country Roads' to the point where I was able to just tap the root notes and pick up my phone. Oh well, if they're happy... Joke's on them though, it's 'Mysterious Girl' next in line, much better song. Rig was my Fender P, into a HX Stomp, into my IEMs.

Sunday was a farewell gig to my indie rock band after 6 years of being my main project. Mostly family and friends of our two guitarists in attendance. They're the full on mods with the scooters and the haircuts to prove it, so we packed the tiny tiny pub when you put all of them lot on top of the locals. Rig was, funnily enough, my Fender P into a HX Stomp (well the car was already packed) but GET THIS, no IEMs for this band so I used my QSC K12.2 behind me as backline. Sore throat from the night before meant my dodgy backing vocals weren't needed and also we've already sold our subwoofer so I felt a little more ooomph wouldn't go amiss.

PXL_20240825_210845221_MP.thumb.jpg.ff581d8809fb21269298c1a4861dd619.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:
11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Ours does, in fact we often syncronise rhythms for fun, no planning it happened organically

I thought that was what drummers and bass players were meant to do? Either synch up or play complementary patterns. I usually play off the kick or the snare, depending on the song.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 2

Over the years i've found that i can ad-lib more with a very technical or busy drummer but with my current bands i just learned my bass parts and play them but we do sometimes coincide on some bass and drum runs which is always fun.

With some bands i seem to lead on the rhythm section and others i'm happy to follow the drummer.

Swings and roundabouts. Don't think i have any great preference just different.

Maybe i just do an auto-sync with the drummer without realising it and don't spend a lot of time analysing how a band works. If it works leave well alone :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

Not my favourite show… at all. A gig at a festival in Northwich. I rented possibly the worst hotel en route (didn’t spot the shared bathroom bit and there wasn’t even a curtain over the window of my room!). I contemplated sleeping in the car but pressed on to the show after a mixed night’s sleep.

Just a line check, which was fine, but when we came on, someone had knocked my bass and the A string was significantly out. I tried tuning it but it was difficult to do discreetly. Sorted it out and then it sounded like the house cab had blown. The sound engineer just kinda left me hanging. Upon reflection, I think my wireless was the issue letting me down. Annoyed at myself for not overcoming the issue. I tried to put on a good show (& the audience said it sounded fine out front) but I think if you knew, you knew. 

I’ll be more on it in future but yeah, not my favourite set. I got sent a couple of nice pictures which I am sure would look nice on my mother in law’s mantelpiece!?! 

IMG_1538.thumb.jpeg.6fb6c364fc0cf0178aab46a2f08ac4cf.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Sorry Daryl i was commenting on you and your grandson pic there.:laugh1:

Dave

Lol, I thought so Dave. It's a girl, baby Sora. She says she doesn't care about my bass playing or my band. Lol

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Not my favourite show… at all. A gig at a festival in Northwich. I rented possibly the worst hotel en route (didn’t spot the shared bathroom bit and there wasn’t even a curtain over the window of my room!). I contemplated sleeping in the car but pressed on to the show after a mixed night’s sleep.

Just a line check, which was fine, but when we came on, someone had knocked my bass and the A string was significantly out. I tried tuning it but it was difficult to do discreetly. Sorted it out and then it sounded like the house cab had blown. The sound engineer just kinda left me hanging. Upon reflection, I think my wireless was the issue letting me down. Annoyed at myself for not overcoming the issue. I tried to put on a good show (& the audience said it sounded fine out front) but I think if you knew, you knew. 

I’ll be more on it in future but yeah, not my favourite set. I got sent a couple of nice pictures which I am sure would look nice on my mother in law’s mantelpiece!?! 

IMG_1538.thumb.jpeg.6fb6c364fc0cf0178aab46a2f08ac4cf.jpeg

Whereabouts in Northwich was it?

56 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Lol, I thought so Dave. It's a girl, baby Sora. She says she doesn't care about my bass playing or my band. Lol

Daryl

Apologies there, Grand-daughter. Just being there for her is all she needs from her Papa. Great pic Daryl.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night's rehearsal became a gig at short notice when we played in the local RNLI lifeboat station as our usual hall was the venue for an art exhibition. The Station Manager and one of the helms are in the band so it was all above board. Despite the rain earlier in the day, we played to people coming off the beach and a family who were staying in a holiday cottage a few yards away. Surprisingly for the boat house, the acoustics were good and we had a lot of fun. I played my Hohner 'The Jack' through a Zoom B1Four DI'd into the desk.

EDIT: YouTube link to a short video from this 'gig'.

DSCG3178.jpg.718f89f4c6ea835c01bea6cef9c3b1f4.jpg

DSCG3183.thumb.jpg.e6b220e4d9ac9556f7e363266461674c.jpg

DSCG3187.jpg.1c778fdf7c973b338e9f0b99027c7880.jpg

DSCG3190.jpg.6e98b9096a97933c963436287290936a.jpg

DSCG3195.thumb.jpg.53969ee930c605d72df8eaac7a373a24.jpg

DSCG3210.thumb.jpg.531280ecace5a576b771b4c615192dba.jpg

This is one of the helmsmen, our band leader.

Edited by Franticsmurf
Video link added
  • Like 16

A double-header again this weekend (Sat/Sun) for Mustang Sally, once again with a fluid line-up (dep guitarist #1) due to ongoing holidays and stuff. Saturday saw us setting up in the function hall at the Mere Social Club (line-up was D/B+sax/G/KB/Vox+guitar) for a private 70th birthday bash, very well attended by a great audience who seemed to appreciate our medium-octane pop playlist. This list is very much in contrast to the AVGAS-strength guitar fireworks numbers we used to play before our genuine rock-star walked out in May. It does make adding new numbers much easier with virtual rehearsals (and sometimes no rehearsals except the gig!) for simple numbers like ‘Walking on Sunshine’ and ‘2-4-6-8 Motorway’. Compared with, say, ‘Hotel California’ or ‘Echo Beach’ these new numbers are a doddle and the punters do like something really catchy for jumping about to. Pix are from this gig, including one that proves I actually DO play bass!

Sunday we played at the George Inn Castle Cary, a gig organised by its enterprising landlady to compensate for the local council cancelling the town’s annual ‘Party in the Park’ on cost grounds – line-up (dep #1 and dep#2 guitarists as KB man away) was D/B+sax/G1+B/G2/Vox+guitar. This pub is a rabbit’s warren of interconnecting bars and rooms so the headbangers can jump around in the hub where we’d set up, while others could eat and drink in relative peace and quiet around the edges! We started at 18:30 and finished at 21:10, so home for an early cocoa; it rained hard during the evening so if the gig had been in the Park, everyone would have been well-drenched…

It was another really enjoyable gig with a lovely crowd, resulting in that lovely landlady booking us for NYE – result!

vlcsnap-2024-08-26-21h43m26s967.png

Mere_MMsax.jpg

Edited by Gasman
more info added
  • Like 15

Y'know, I love reading this thread.  Even though I don't know any of you in real life, and haven't seen your bands play, I still get a real kick out of hearing about all the great gigs that have happened for everyone (and commiserate with the disasters).  There are so many styles, genres, line-ups, methodologies, countries etc on show but the diversity of it always gives me a real lift.  It's a joy to know that so many people are out there playing and bringing music in all its' forms to appreciative (mostly!) audiences.

Cheers all.

JRK

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

We had an outdoor gig in Walsall - there was cover over the band, but no chance of moving indoors into the tiny pub if it rained, and it did seem rather ominous (it pissed down in the morning, and briefly in the early afternoon). There was a singer on before us, who finished at 5:15, and we were due on at 6. Working round him as he knocked down, we managed to get completely set up and ready to go by about 5:55, brief soundcheck and we were off. Due to the failure of the woofer on my combo, I was using a Tecamp Puma 900 and BC 112 Mk3 cab, and I noticed that on low notes on a dirty patch I had, it was making rather horrible noises, so I stopped using the dirty patch and all was well again.

I did ask Mrs Zero to take some photos, but almost all of them she took while the two guitarists were playing "Time of your life" and the drummer and I were doing nothing. Well, I was doing the traditional "waving of the candle".

time_of_your_life.thumb.jpg.aca68ad6844b9254a68c33973b6bd456.jpg

However, we did have a stage invasion.

stage_invasion.thumb.jpg.9931e224d8356fcac9169ad7723a919b.jpg

• Like 19

11 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Great basses. I have had a B2 since the late '80s and have a Jack V as well.

P.S. Mumbles?

My first 'proper' bass was a Jack - I got it as I landed the bass duties in a band I was to be with for 20+years and still occasionally dep for (ironically, on guitar). I sold it years ago but recently found a fantastic example for sale in this very parish.

Horton, near Port Eynon. As you can see its an inshore station. They're usually quite busy rescuing people from Worm's Head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Y'know, I love reading this thread.  Even though I don't know any of you in real life, and haven't seen your bands play, I still get a real kick out of hearing about all the great gigs that have happened for everyone (and commiserate with the disasters).  There are so many styles, genres, line-ups, methodologies, countries etc on show but the diversity of it always gives me a real lift.  It's a joy to know that so many people are out there playing and bringing music in all its' forms to appreciative (mostly!) audiences.

Cheers all.

JRK

And there I was playing at the Kerry Lamb on Sunday, outdoors on a lorry trailer, cold and wet plus the other Kerry pub also had a band on.  I am told people enjoyed it and we will be back.  

Edited by 3below
  • Like 6