Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 minute ago, 3below said:

And there I was playing at the Kerry Lamb on Sunday, outdoors on a lorry trailer, cold and wet plus the other Kerry pub also had a band on.  I am told people enjoyed it and we will be back.  

I'd have come down to see you if I'd known!  Let me know when your next gig is and I'll drop in.

50 minutes ago, 3below said:

<self promo>The  Hanging Gardens, Llanidloes - no2 band.  Prog jazz rock originals, Friday 6th September, 8pm.  </self promo>

There's an upcoming gigs thread for that sort of thing 

• Like 2

Saturday saw us playing at a wedding, the bride is our drummer George's cousin so it was a pro bono job. It went well and we had lots of compliments. We had Danny, George's Uncle sit in on vocals for a song called 'I loved her first' which is a family favourite and was performed in memory of the brides' father. There were a few moist eyes after that one and we were chuffed we didn't farp it up. The nosh was decent.... especially the corned beef salad sarnies, which me and our 6-string maestro Phil (yep, 2 Phil's in our band) wolfed down with aplomb post performance.

IMG-20240825-WA0010.thumb.jpg.da889aea0f97e074a49cbb9aaccefa96.jpg

Sunday we were at O'Neill's in Leicester to a middle-sized crowd who seemed to enjoy our sets. Here's the pre-gig pic with the atmospheric images on the TVs...

IMG_20240825_203014.thumb.jpg.a07c3312bfb872cb747bd40d8e10ac61.jpg

Used my go to gig set up of Mike Lull P4 through the Handbox R400 with matching cab.

2 gigs this coming weekend too, so no rest for this weekend warrior 

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 14

On 26/08/2024 at 08:46, dmccombe7 said:

Over the years i've found that i can ad-lib more with a very technical or busy drummer but with my current bands i just learned my bass parts and play them but we do sometimes coincide on some bass and drum runs which is always fun.

With some bands i seem to lead on the rhythm section and others i'm happy to follow the drummer.

Swings and roundabouts. Don't think i have any great preference just different.

Maybe i just do an auto-sync with the drummer without realising it and don't spend a lot of time analysing how a band works. If it works leave well alone :laugh1:

Dave

Dave,

At least for the material we do. I'm no longer a fan of technical drumming with fancy riffs and fills. Just keep the beat and tempo consistent and I'm good. Most of the time our drummer is only on the snare, high hat and the kick drum and I love it. Example attached. It's a recycled video clip of " Ohio " Crosby, Stills and Nash.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/jZ21spbRNUPMAvU3/?mibextid=qi2Omg

Now, when we're talking about fusion or more progressive genres that's a different discussion. 

Blue

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Y'know, I love reading this thread.  Even though I don't know any of you in real life, and haven't seen your bands play, I still get a real kick out of hearing about all the great gigs that have happened for everyone (and commiserate with the disasters).  There are so many styles, genres, line-ups, methodologies, countries etc on show but the diversity of it always gives me a real lift.  It's a joy to know that so many people are out there playing and bringing music in all its' forms to appreciative (mostly!) audiences.

Cheers all.

JRK

I know what you mean. I've been a member of Bass Chat so long I feel like I do know some of you.

The gig stories are fantastic. Most of the stories I can say " been there, done that".

But nobody can top my Baraboo Blues Fest story when I forgot to bring my bass. Lol

Daryl

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

I know what you mean. I've been a member of Bass Chat so long I feel like I do know some of you.

The gig stories are fantastic. Most of the stories I can say " been there, done that".

But nobody can top my Baraboo Blues Fest story when I forgot to bring my bass. Lol

Daryl

A Classic on BC Daryl

Dave

• Thanks 1

I'm gigging so much this year, but don't tend to post much on this thread.

Had a Saturday night with the function band at a holiday camp, which was pretty good, but Monday Bank Holiday's afternoon gig at a local pub (mini beer festival was great). Do it every year, and weather was perfect, and it was rammed full. 

A little picture of some ol' middle aged man fumbling away on bass..... ho hum

FB_IMG_1724835800077.jpg.7b06ab0a226b3d9b03c796844324c7ba.jpg

• Like 14

30 minutes ago, E sharp said:

I'm gigging so much this year, but don't tend to post much on this thread.

Had a Saturday night with the function band at a holiday camp, which was pretty good, but Monday Bank Holiday's afternoon gig at a local pub (mini beer festival was great). Do it every year, and weather was perfect, and it was rammed full. 

A little picture of some ol' middle aged man fumbling away on bass..... ho hum

FB_IMG_1724835800077.jpg.7b06ab0a226b3d9b03c796844324c7ba.jpg

That looks like a decent bass rig. What are you using here ?

Dave

25 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That looks like a decent bass rig. What are you using here ?

Dave

Aguilar DB750 that I bought off Mike (Chimike) on here, into two Bergantino 212s. Sounds really nice

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played Victorious Festival in Portsmouth with my rock/indie band WOOED on Saturday just gone.

Absolutely bucketed it down from 6am onwards until our set at 3.30pm, and was dreading all my gear getting soaked on stage. 😬

However someone was smiling upon us from above and it started to clear up from 3pm onwards - so much so that I had to wear shades during the set. Felt very sorry for those who played earlier, especially as this fest is right on the seaside - the wind was howling.

The festival backline was a lovely 810 powered by a OB1-300, it was very very loud, no problems there at all.

Had my trusty anniversary Squier for the event, been with me the last few shows and it sounds absolutely brilliant. I did have the tone knob rolled all the way up by accident and had to turn it down by half during the show, but that's user error...and I've had worse things happen!

We clashed with CMAT and Frankie Boyle which meant there weren't too many stragglers, but very grateful to those who did come and see us - and still by far the most amount of people we've played to, on by far the biggest stage!

I wish I could do it all again.

A few pics from soundcheck...

Screenshot_20240825-140434.png

PXL_20240824_142055245.MP.jpg

PXL_20240824_150008072.MP.jpg

Edited by dirgefornovember
  • Like 14

23 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

A Classic on BC Daryl

Dave

We rented a big econo line van that day. I remember being halfway to the gig and announcing to the band I left my bass behind. Jenny was driving and and she looked at me and said ;

" Well, we're not turning around and going back to get it." Lol

Daryl

IMG_20240814_033330~4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Last weekend was a two-gigger (would've been more but the BL also goes out solo, so he had four), started with the monthly place, where there were no serious assaults and the Polis didn't show up (which was a bonus...tho I do question my musical choices when I'm typing that at this stage in my part-time career), we had a guest singer, a really talented girl who myself and a couple of other guys had tried to get a band off the ground with not so long ago: she's very very good, but ultimately not committed enough for a regular gigging band, but the occasional gig with her is a lot of fun, because it means a different setlist. Surprisingly lively in there (perhaps the reduced threat of being knocked unconscious had boosted the crowd...yeah, I know), and we had the second-choice drummer, who's so loud we don't need to mic his kit (a slight issue with the whole inears hoohah, but I can still hear him, it's just not as defined as through mics), and he and I had some fun with the older bits of the set; near the end, the BL seemed unable or unwilling to end Go Your Own Way, and stuck in a soloing loop, so the drummer and I gradually sped the thing up to about 200bpm until he couldn't keep up, and we ended it... I shot off at the end (one of the joys of bass, Stomp and inears; I was done and on the road in about four minutes) to go and pick the Lad up from Manchester Pride (he'd gone down on his own, didn't want him trying to get a taxi/bus/tram back solo; much of Manchester was faaaabulous, but there's still dickheads everywhere looking for trouble on the fringes), all was well.

Satdy was a pub local to my mother-in-law, and my Lad stopped at hers, and he, his Gran and his Gran's bessie mate (the latter two have been going in there for 67 years) came to see us. It was nice to see them there, a 19-year old and two 85-year olds up and dancing for a good chunk of both sets 🙂  Fourth choice drummer, tho, so I spent a lot of the time doing my best Border Collie impression keeping him in time and on the starts, changes and ends. It's draining...

This weekend it's the second choice slammer and an additional keys player (no percussionist) who've never played together before; they're both good semi-pros, but one's RHCP and the other's very much Steely Dan, it'll be...interesting...

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 14

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

The band is sounding great and looking great Dave.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl, according to my wife the first set had something not quite right for us but she couldn't say what it was. She goes to every gig. On hearing some other clips from the organiser it sounded like we were too quiet. With the venue filling up a lot more than we expected we more or less set our normal volume. On 2nd set we turned up and it brought the sound to life. 

The Mesa rig hits a sweet spot at a certain volume and the speakers just seem to sing. More depth, clarity as if they've just come alive.

She said this happened at this venue last time we played there. We use their PA for vocals and we got the DJ / SE to raise the vocals for 2nd set too. We had 2nd thoughts about this particular gig as its like a huge marquee and we have no control over the main PA. 

The holiday park is taken over by Hot Rods in the Borders group with some amazing US cars on show.

Dave

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We rented a big econo line van that day. I remember being halfway to the gig and announcing to the band I left my bass behind. Jenny was driving and and she looked at me and said ;

" Well, we're not turning around and going back to get it." Lol

Daryl

IMG_20240814_033330~4.jpg

I'm guessing you did go back then :laugh1:

Dave

A great Soul Destroyers gig on Saturday at the Phoenix Festival in Cirencester. Small crowd at our stage when we started but by the third song there were loads. Some great pics from the official lensman.

And yes, the trombonist really is wearing a lollipop-man jacket. This is because he is, errm, a lollipop man.

The stage backline was a TC combo of some sort, think it was a BG250-115... did the job fine.

My lovely Shuker 5 sounded glorious, as usual. 🤎🧡

phoenixband1.thumb.jpg.2071d1d277e0a5d459e5cd2f86df71a6.jpg

phoenixcrowd1.thumb.jpg.e396c83668a7d9fb8413c0498ae7acd7.jpg

phoenixme1.thumb.jpg.81fcac977bbe663f38f8ed3cb780a34b.jpg

Edited by Rich
  • Like 17

30 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

You don't look much like your avatar...

Yes, it's a cunning disguise isn't it? :lol: 

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that's not you in your avatar either. Or is it..? 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

Satdy was a pub local to my mother-in-law, and my Lad stopped at hers, and he, his Gran and his Gran's bessie mate (the latter two have been going in there for 67 years) came to see us. It was nice to see them there, a 19-year old and two 85-year olds up and dancing for a good chunk of both sets 🙂  Fourth choice drummer, tho, so I spent a lot of the time doing my best Border Collie impression keeping him in time and on the starts, changes and ends. It's draining...

Love this ^

• Like 1