17 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Friday 8/30

Maple Road

The Old Village Beer Depot

Menomonee Falls WI.

6:00-9:00

Daryl

IMG_20231015_125014.jpg

Looks like your front row audience have been out in the sun too long Daryl :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Looks like your front row audience have been out in the sun too long Daryl :laugh1:

Dave

Lol, Old Pic from last October.

I don't know what to expect tomorrow night. We did this gig last year but it was backed up by some sort of WWII camp reenactment event. It's on the original Davidson home grounds.

It's a big stage and I'm struggling with who would come out to see us in Menomonee Falls. I'm looking forward to our fall gigs.

Daryl

IMG_20231015_124854.jpg

• Like 4

On 28/08/2024 at 06:35, dirgefornovember said:

Played Victorious Festival in Portsmouth with my rock/indie band WOOED on Saturday just gone.

Absolutely bucketed it down from 6am onwards until our set at 3.30pm, and was dreading all my gear getting soaked on stage. 😬

However someone was smiling upon us from above and it started to clear up from 3pm onwards - so much so that I had to wear shades during the set. Felt very sorry for those who played earlier, especially as this fest is right on the seaside - the wind was howling.

The festival backline was a lovely 810 powered by a OB1-300, it was very very loud, no problems there at all.

Had my trusty anniversary Squier for the event, been with me the last few shows and it sounds absolutely brilliant. I did have the tone knob rolled all the way up by accident and had to turn it down by half during the show, but that's user error...and I've had worse things happen!

We clashed with CMAT and Frankie Boyle which meant there weren't too many stragglers, but very grateful to those who did come and see us - and still by far the most amount of people we've played to, on by far the biggest stage!

I wish I could do it all again.

A few pics from soundcheck...

Screenshot_20240825-140434.png

PXL_20240824_142055245.MP.jpg

PXL_20240824_150008072.MP.jpg

Love the pics!

Daryl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I don't know what to expect 

It's a big stage and I'm struggling with who would come out to see us in Menomonee Falls. I'm looking forward to our fall gigs.

Daryl

IMG_20231015_124854.jpg

Maybe being Friday night , beer and it's free will help.

I think we're bringing the heavy artillery,  sound and lights tomorrow night. I'm struggling with why a gig like this didn't hire out sound & lights?

Daryl

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Maybe being Friday night , beer and it's free will help.

I think we're bringing the heavy artillery,  sound and lights tomorrow night. I'm struggling with why a gig like this didn't hire out sound & lights?

Daryl

Is it a multi band event. ? Over here venues generally only hire a PA and lighting themselves when its a multi band event to save swap over time.

We've been asked a few times with the punk band to do a support slot for well known bands and after we agree a fee the organiser comes out with the "can you bring your PA and the headline band can use it too". At that point we say NO THANKS. We're not giving a free PA hire for another headliner band meaning we need to hang around all night and do the Sound Engineering bit until they finish. I have no issues if we are headlining and on last and support band wants to use our PA.

It just comes across as a very sneaky manoeuvre. 

Dave

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We've been asked a few times with the punk band to do a support slot for well known bands and after we agree a fee the organiser comes out with the "can you bring your PA and the headline band can use it too". At that point we say NO THANKS. We're not giving a free PA hire for another headliner band meaning we need to hang around all night and do the Sound Engineering bit until they finish. I have no issues if we are headlining and on last and support band wants to use our PA.

Yeah, that.  Years ago I roadied for a reasonably popular death metal band (semantics, semantics!) and we played at a popular and now-defunct venue in Brum, with a big Swedish band headlining.  We turned up with all our gear, got set up etc etc.  No sign of the headliners yet, but no bother, early enough in the day.  Eventually they turned up and said "We use your gear".  I wasn't happy about this, as a) we hadn't been asked about this by anyone prior to the event, and b) they didn't even say please.  I asked the band what they wanted to do, and they agreed to lend their gear (I wouldn't have done this, but they were in awe of the Swedes).  When I say their gear, I mean all of it.  This band hadn't brought any equipment with them at all, other than plectrums and drumsticks.

We had to hang around until the wee small hours before we could load out and we didn't even get paid for the gig, let alone the hire.

From that day onward I've insisted on knowing the exact crack with everything to do with the stage and gear before committing.  I don't mind helping out when there's a crisis but I'm buggered if my band is going to be used as a fee-free rentals service whilst someone else takes the bunce and skips merrily off into the sunset.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Yeah, that.  Years ago I roadied for a reasonably popular death metal band (semantics, semantics!) and we played at a popular and now-defunct venue in Brum, with a big Swedish band headlining.  We turned up with all our gear, got set up etc etc.  No sign of the headliners yet, but no bother, early enough in the day.  Eventually they turned up and said "We use your gear".  I wasn't happy about this, as a) we hadn't been asked about this by anyone prior to the event, and b) they didn't even say please.  I asked the band what they wanted to do, and they agreed to lend their gear (I wouldn't have done this, but they were in awe of the Swedes).  When I say their gear, I mean all of it.  This band hadn't brought any equipment with them at all, other than plectrums and drumsticks.

We had to hang around until the wee small hours before we could load out and we didn't even get paid for the gig, let alone the hire.

From that day onward I've insisted on knowing the exact crack with everything to do with the stage and gear before committing.  I don't mind helping out when there's a crisis but I'm buggered if my band is going to be used as a fee-free rentals service whilst someone else takes the bunce and skips merrily off into the sunset.

Luckily our drummer is very savvy on all of this stuff having played stadium venues when he was younger. He tends to spot all the sneakiness of organisers / promoters. Also its all his PA so he is very careful with it.

Dave

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is it a multi band event. ? Over here venues generally only hire a PA and lighting themselves when its a multi band event to save swap over time.

Dave

F that.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

F that.

That was my response when i found out. They offered us £300 to play the gig and then wanted us to supply a full PA and lighting for the main band XSLF.

Forget to mention they wanted to use all our backline. 

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

That was my response when i found out. They offered us £300 to play the gig and then wanted us to supply a full PA and lighting for the main band XSLF.

Dave

Google "free PA hire" and see how many (actual) results you get...

• Haha 4

51 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Henry & the boys do travel light. Played with them a few times, great chaps but aside from guitars & plectrums they don’t bring anything, in my current they played with them and were even asked for drumsticks!

• Haha 2

Had the gear borrowing issue several times but in less exalted company. I have no objection if I/we are asked in advance but when an act just turns up and expects to use your gear, that is taking the widdle. The worst I experienced was doing a New Year’s Eve gig with a band (I was depping). It was a shared billing with one of those vocalists who sings along to backing tracks. She just turned up and said where do I plug my phone and mic in. To make matters worse, we finished our second set and then the landlord was expecting her to go on for another hour or so after midnight. Band leader said, well we are packing up, so it’s going to be unaccompanied acoustic. Landlord said he wouldn’t pay us, if we did that. I left it to the BL to sort out but in the meantime an exchange of views ensued between said singer and BL’s Mrs (also a band member) who was a pretty direct Brummie. Midlands game, set and match in that encounter!

I think we might have been more amenable, if we hadn’t had to pay for all our drinks and some rubbish food. Karma struck the landlord later when he went bust and the pub was closed for several years. Come to think of it, so did the BL when the band broke up. I’m still waiting for my full share of a wedding gig I did with them about 8 years ago. Pretended there was something wrong with the bank details I gave him. Palmed me off with a few notes.

• Sad 1

On 29/08/2024 at 17:28, Bluewine said:

I don't know what to expect tomorrow night. We did this gig last year but it was backed up by some sort of WWII camp reenactment event. It's on the original Davidson home grounds.

Daryl

HeIMG_20231015_124854.jpg

The Old Village Beer Depot Gig was pretty good. We had around 100 people show up. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1725077236663.jpg

20240830_195809.jpg

20240830_195805.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Hi Dave,

I wasn't a multi band event. Just Maple Road 6-9.

Daryl

20240830_195809.jpg

• Like 5

Funny how some years a venue becomes one you’re at loads and the next it drops off the gig list completely. So for the nth time this year we were at Lyde Court, all the usual perks, park the van right by the stage, big area to play in, loads of plugs and an enormous flown house FBT PA. The happy couple wanted 3 40 minute sets which made the evening a bit stop start and the whole band was one click off the pace after holidays etc, but the clients were happy. Finally started to get some good sounds out my Stomp too, definitely a learning curve that toy. 

IMG_4620.jpeg

• Like 16

Hard work to a small crowd of punters and a load of technicals for me last night. 

Took forever to get to the venue for me, then a rushed set up (the others were already there and set up). Issues with vocalists mic, then I couldn’t get my IEM’s running and never did all night so sound was odd for me. It seemed to be a combination of a dodgy lead for him and positioning of the router for me.

My iPad wouldn’t connect to run xair until I moved my IEM transmitter further away on the end of a lead and I still got nothing even after the move. Turned out despite checking the transmitter and receiver had got onto different channels 🤦🏼‍♂️

Despite all that the sound out front was really good apparently and the landlord was pleased and put three in the diary for next year so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by WalMan
Spelling grammar and basic English
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

The Old Village Beer Depot Gig was pretty good. We had around 100 people show up. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1725077236663.jpg

20240830_195809.jpg

20240830_195805.jpg

Looks like a great venue and location Daryl. Plenty of space on the stage area too.

Good to see you had around 100 folks there. I always find i play better with a decent crowd.

Dave.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WalMan said:

Hard work to a small crowd of punters and a load of technicals for me last night. 

Took forever to get to the venue for me, then a rushed set up (the others were already there and set up). Issues with vocalists mic, the I couldn’t get my IEM’s running and never did all night so sound was odd for me and I was having. It seemed to be a combination of a dodgy lead for him and positioning of the router for me.

My iPad wouldn’t connect to run xair until I moved my IEM transmitter further away on the end of a lead and I still got nothing even after the move. Turned out despite checking the transmitter and receiver had got onto different channels 🤦🏼‍♂️

Despite all that the sound out front was really good apparently and the landlord was pleased and put three in the diary for next year so 🤷🏼‍♂️

Interesting read this! It’s funny how much a rushed set up can affect the gig. 

We’ll perform all day at weddings. Finish the drinks reception and then sit around for 4 hours waiting to get access to the evening area, only to be told we’ve got 45 mins to set up the complete set up including DJ rig! 

We’re looking at buying an Xair 12 this week in order to give us separate monitor mixes… 

I’ve been advised that I’ll need a seperate router. 

Without hijacking the thread, other than the issue last night that you mentioned, do you find the Xair to be relatively reliable? 

Alex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexDelores said:

Interesting read this! It’s funny how much a rushed set up can affect the gig. 

We’ll perform all day at weddings. Finish the drinks reception and then sit around for 4 hours waiting to get access to the evening area, only to be told we’ve got 45 mins to set up the complete set up including DJ rig! 

We’re looking at buying an Xair 12 this week in order to give us separate monitor mixes… 

I’ve been advised that I’ll need a seperate router. 

Without hijacking the thread, other than the issue last night that you mentioned, do you find the Xair to be relatively reliable? 

Alex

Definitely run a separate router. Our sound guy runs an XR16. He wasn’t available last night so we took the rig from him and ran it ourselves mixing from stage on iPad.

Otherwise it works well. We have in the past had issues getting connected but not recently - the issue I had last night was only for me as the guitarist was able to connect with no problem. Got mine sorted in the end but it seemed to be something between my iPad and iPhone and the former trying to connect to the latters hotspot instead of the router on the XR16.

Looks like the XR12 only has two aux outs so might be an issue getting individual monitor mixes if you were using IEM depending how many of you there are. I sometimes wish we had the 18 and option to use Ultranet.

I have used the XR16 and also Soundcraft units on two different deps. Either seems fine.

Edited by WalMan
  • Like 1