Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Funny how some years a venue becomes one you’re at loads and the next it drops off the gig list completely. So for the nth time this year we were at Lyde Court, all the usual perks, park the van right by the stage, big area to play in, loads of plugs and an enormous flown house FBT PA. The happy couple wanted 3 40 minute sets which made the evening a bit stop start and the whole band was one click off the pace after holidays etc, but the clients were happy. Finally started to get some good sounds out my Stomp too, definitely a learning curve that toy. 

IMG_4620.jpeg

Nice room!

Daryl

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 03:13, dmccombe7 said:

Is it a multi band event. ? Over here venues generally only hire a PA and lighting themselves when its a multi band event to save swap over time.

We've been asked a few times with the punk band to do a support slot for well known bands and after we agree a fee the organiser comes out with the "can you bring your PA and the headline band can use it too". At that point we say NO THANKS. We're not giving a free PA hire for another headliner band meaning we need to hang around all night and do the Sound Engineering bit until they finish. I have no issues if we are headlining and on last and support band wants to use our PA.

It just comes across as a very sneaky manoeuvre. 

Dave

Dave, I found out we billed them separately for sound & lights.

Daryl

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WalMan said:

Definitely run a separate router. Our sound guy runs an XR16. He wasn’t available last night so we took the rig from him and ran it ourselves mixing from stage on iPad.

Otherwise it works well. We have in the past had issues getting connected but not recently - the issue I had last night was only for me as the guitarist was able to connect with no problem. Got mine sorted in the end but it seemed to be something between my iPad and iPhone and the former trying to connect to the latters hotspot instead of the router on the XR16.

Looks like the XR12 only has two aux outs so might be an issue getting individual monitor mixes if you were using IEM depending how many of you there are. I sometimes wish we had the 18 and option to use Ultranet.

I have used the X-RAY and also Soundcraft units on two different deps. Either seems fine.

Appreciate the info! 

We’re only a duo so will only ever need 2 monitor mixes.

They look really good. I was actually recommended it by the guy that helped us out buying our IEM’s and he had only good things to say too so it’s nice to have an additional opinion!

We currently use the Jmix8’s built in mixer which sounds fantastic but only has 1 aux out. And, that also has issues sometimes with the remote mixer connection but unlike the Behringer, there’s no way to boost the signal. 

Thanks again! 
Alex 

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 03:13, dmccombe7 said:

It just comes across as a very sneaky manoeuvre. 

Dave

Yes very much so. Live and learn, back in 2007 when Maple Road formed I think we got taken advantage of allot. We finally learned how to say " no". 

Daryl

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Dave, I found out we billed them separately for sound & lights.

Daryl

Nice one. I like it. :hi:

That's how we do it with the Glam band. We bring a standard PA but if we need lighting and a full PA then its a van hire as well so we add on a bit more to the fee to cover it all.

The way we look at it is if we can get in our cars its a standard fee. Anything more is extra.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Odd one last night at the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  Weird ebb and flow to the crowd, not busy, busy, not busy, busy then really unbusy at the end.  Tales of fights outside the bar involving 6 folk and pint glasses being thrown around.  Thankfully if true, it stayed outside.

On the whole, pleased with the night though - 5 new (to us) songs thrown into the set and they all were played with minimal oopsies and went down pretty well ("Don't Believe a Word" was especially appreciated by a rabid Thin Lizzy fan).  I got up to some wireless shenanigans, wandering off into the crowd during Highway to Hell and high fiving folk during the quiet (for me) bits.  Some sound issues (chiefly singist mic feedback) but we managed to get on top of it.  Good to be back in the saddle after 5ish weeks off for holidays etc.  

Gear was the Reverend Triad then the Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard into the usual Markbass tone cubes (Mini CMD 121P IV + NY121)

20240830Balaclavagear1.thumb.jpg.53bcec5eb68de6f9dd7b30ac7df1cfe7.jpg20240830Balaclavagear2jpg.thumb.jpg.9292ba90292299bb628a760c085f3389.jpg

• Like 17

30 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Odd one last night at the Balaclava in Fraserburgh.  Weird ebb and flow to the crowd, not busy, busy, not busy, busy then really unbusy at the end.  Tales of fights outside the bar involving 6 folk and pint glasses being thrown around.  Thankfully if true, it stayed outside.

On the whole, pleased with the night though - 5 new (to us) songs thrown into the set and they all were played with minimal oopsies and went down pretty well ("Don't Believe a Word" was especially appreciated by a rabid Thin Lizzy fan).  I got up to some wireless shenanigans, wandering off into the crowd during Highway to Hell and high fiving folk during the quiet (for me) bits.  Some sound issues (chiefly singist mic feedback) but we managed to get on top of it.  Good to be back in the saddle after 5ish weeks off for holidays etc.  

Gear was the Reverend Triad then the Epiphone Les Paul (not so) Standard into the usual Markbass tone cubes (Mini CMD 121P IV + NY121)

20240830Balaclavagear1.thumb.jpg.53bcec5eb68de6f9dd7b30ac7df1cfe7.jpg20240830Balaclavagear2jpg.thumb.jpg.9292ba90292299bb628a760c085f3389.jpg

I had to post a Pic of mine.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1724275957968.jpg

• Like 12

First time at a pub in Chippenham last night. Bandeoke band supporting the usual suspects (tone deaf karaoke kings, drunken shouters,  nervous silent types and over enthusiastic hen parties).

It went well, no one hit me and I got paid. Happy days.

• Like 16

Nice message in from the dep last week

"Hi Al, thanks again for depping. Listening back you put a spark back in to the band. My playing was a bit shonky at times but the fun was back and it was relaxed. Here's a link to the recording. I hope you bass sounds a bit better on this one Chris"

The final sentence was a reference to my bemoaning my playing on a previous dep a month or so back.

The recording was stems straight off the Soundcraft stage box.

I can still hear the odd flub, but they'd have been gone in the moment so I doubt anyone in the club picked up on them and I notice only because I am listening back. Bass sounds good though possibly needed a bit more bottom but it sits well - Status S2 -> Boss TU3 -> Boss CE20 -> Trondheim Audio SkarBassOne -> sfx Microthumpinator  -> TwoNotes Bass Revolt (green channel)

Edited by WalMan
Turn quote into text
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, WalMan said:

Nice message in from the dep last week

The final sentence was a reference to my bemoaning my playing on a previous dep a month or so back.

The recording was stems straight off the Soundcraft stage box.

I can still hear the odd flub, but they'd have been gone in the moment so I doubt anyone in the club picked up on them and I notice only because I am listening back. Bass sounds good though possibly needed a bit more bottom but it sits well - Status S2 -> Boss TU3 -> Boss CE20 -> Trondheim Audio SkarBassOne -> sfx Microthumpinator  -> TwoNotes Bass Revolt (green channel)

We are our own worst critics.  I'm all for self improvement, but not self flagellation.  Live performance will always have wee fluffs, they are but fleeting moments in time.  Save the "perfection" for the recording studio, I say.

• Like 9

Just got in from the second gig in a week with the prog/math-rockish band.

Another jamboree bag of various acts at a bar in Farringdon. Dismal onstage sound, but we soldiered on...not the first time, not the last etc. I was pleased with my singing and playing, so overall not too bad.

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 11

Played the BrewBeat festival in Leicester city centre on Saturday afternoon. V interesting band on the bill before us called NFQ - sort of mix of jazz and breakbeats etc with some tasty upright and fretless bass playing too. 

We (the Andy Wales Band) were on mid afternoon - decent sized crowd, lots of people saying nice things afterwards. 

I took my Ashdown ABM, my two Markbass 2x10 cabs and my Yamaha BB604. Had it properly cranked too and it sounded good. Managed to dodge the rain too.  

ps I nicked the pic below off social media - no idea who originally took it but it’s a good shot!

IMG_6168.jpeg

• Like 15

Great gig at a local pub last night (The Monument, Hereford), it's really feeling great with the new band members! Loads of new songs in the set tonight, which was a bit nerve wracking at times, but we did well, the punters and ourselves thoroughly enjoyed it! 🥳👌

Bit of video here:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/pb6bQLYfHM8vyfpp/

IMG-20240831-WA0002.jpg

20240831_231433-COLLAGE.jpg

Edited by TRBboy
  • Like 15

Just back from an amazing evening gig at the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells, my last as stand in for a local funk/soul band. Brilliant atmosphere/audience and we were pretty much ‘bang on it’

playing wise.job well done I think as everyone was very complimentary about my performance tonight and the two I done with them last week, it makes you feel good doesn’t it 😊.lovely bunch of people and players too. X

IMG_9105.jpeg

• Like 16

9 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Great gig at a local pub last night (The Monument, Hereford), it's really feeling great with the new band members! Loads of new songs in the set tonight, which was a bit nerve wracking at times, but we did well, the punters and ourselves thoroughly enjoyed it! 🥳👌

Bit of video here:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/pb6bQLYfHM8vyfpp/

IMG-20240831-WA0002.jpg

20240831_231433-COLLAGE.jpg

Band is sounding great in the vid.

Curious what bass it is ? 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Just back from an amazing evening gig at the Pantiles in Tunbridge Wells, my last as stand in for a local funk/soul band. Brilliant atmosphere/audience and we were pretty much ‘bang on it’

playing wise.job well done I think as everyone was very complimentary about my performance tonight and the two I done with them last week, it makes you feel good doesn’t it 😊.lovely bunch of people and players too. X

IMG_9105.jpeg

That really is a gorgeous bass. Thanks for sharing again.

Dave

• Like 1

Played at a pub in Scarborough last night with The Alligators.

The Tap and Spile is an old pub with two rooms, neither that large but probably around 30 or

40 punters in each. Set up at the end of the lounge with our small PA which was more than adequate.

Unusually 3 sets is what they wanted so we obliged, playing around 30 to 40 mins per

set. Used my passive P-Lyte into the wonderful Rumble 500 which is my ‘go to’ set up

with this band. I’m still new to the band so a few missed turnarounds etc but definitely

getting better each gig. We’ve even talked of organising my first rehearsal soon!
Finished around 11.30, 50 mile drive on deserted country roads so home around 1pm. 

• Like 15

10 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

IMG_9105.jpeg

Got to say it again: amazing rig. I feel myself working up to a second Monza. Just a question of getting the dosh together.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Obrienp said:

Got to say it again: amazing rig. I feel myself working up to a second Monza. Just a question of getting the dosh together.

Thanks obrianp, yeah I’m really pleased with it, to be honest one cab would have been fine last night as , in the end I was put through the PA aswell but going to the gig I wasn’t sure of the situation so took both just in case and seeing as it was a very short lug to the bandstand was another factor in me deciding to use both. Ta x 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Band is sounding great in the vid.

Curious what bass it is ? 

Dave

Thanks Dave! 😊

That's the bass I built from scratch last year, definitely my number one! 😊👌

• Like 5

How was my gig? Bloody marvellous thank you. Last night our little southern rock tribute played main stage at Stormin the Castle bike rally in Witton-le-Wear County Durham. This annual bike rally is probably one of the largest, and features two live music tents, both equipped with professional sound and light. We were second up on the main stage and technically supporting Phil Campbell and the Bastard Sons (Phil Campbell of Motörhead fame). The PA was a massive RCF Line Array and both the FOH and monitor desks were Digico (for any fellow PA gear sluts). I decided that as we had a pro engineer mixing monitors that I would use my IEM’s and I am so pleased I did. I could wander around the rather large stage without suffering any loss of sound quality and also I’m not suffering the post-gig tinnitus this morning despite it being rather loud. Highlight of the gig, well there were many. The tent was full of enthusiastic bikers from the off and stayed full to the end with lots of dancers and singing along. We played rather well even if I say so myself, but the ultimate highlight was when the FOH engineer came up to me after the gig and said he loved working with us and that we were the highlight of the weekend for him😎

There were a number of pro photographers snapping away in the pit so I’ll update this post later with some better action shots but for now here’s a quick shot from the pit as we arrived on site.

IMG_8602.jpeg

Edited by JPJ
  • Like 21