Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, casapete said:

We returned to our favourite gig at The Sun Inn Beverley with our acoustic duo ‘Milestone’.

Just for a change I thought I’d try using an electric bass instead of an electro acoustic, and

was very pleased with the results. 
Took along my Precision-a-like ( no name replica with Japanese Fender pickup) into my

Rumble 100 combo with a touch of level into the PA too via the DI on the amp. Sounded

massive, with a few regulars commenting on it. 
As usual we took requests for the whole 3 sets, and did some great tunes - ‘Don’t fear

the reaper’ ‘Whole lotta Rosie’ and ‘Stayin alive’ ( yes really!) amongst many others.

The pub was rammed, and we did a couple of encores too. Next gig there is October

13th, so can’t wait! 
( Pic below shows we have finally made it into the pub’s ‘window of fame’. ) 😆

IMG_4078.jpeg

Do you have a link to the duo page?

The Zep tribute was back at one of our favourite gigs on Saturday - The Cluny in Newcastle. 

It was packed as usual with a great audience and treated as well as ever by the staff and tech crew. There were a few technical difficulties, mainly the singer's rack (see on the right in the picture below) containing the receivers for his IEM and mic falling off the two stools it was balanced on at the start of the encore, meaning that his mic stopped working and the sound engineer had to bound across the venue with a new mic so that we could start Misty Mountain Hop again! But apart from that, a brilliant night... 

cluny stage 31082024.jpg

Edited by peteb
  • Like 14

2 hours ago, casapete said:

We returned to our favourite gig at The Sun Inn Beverley with our acoustic duo ‘Milestone’.

Just for a change I thought I’d try using an electric bass instead of an electro acoustic, and

Took along my Precision-a-like ( no name replica with Japanese Fender pickup) into my

Rumble 100 combo with a touch of level into the PA too via the DI on the amp. Sounded

As usual we took requests for the whole 3 sets, and did some great tunes - ‘Don’t fear

the reaper’ ‘Whole lotta Rosie’ and ‘Stayin alive’ ( yes really!) amongst many others.

The pub was rammed, and we did a couple of encores too. Next gig there is October

13th, so can’t wait! 

IMG_4078.jpeg

I’ll have to try and catch you Pete when you’re localish. We’re having a little break in October so will have a few weekends free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

I’ll have to try and catch you Pete when you’re localish. We’re having a little break in October so will have a few weekends free. 

Be good to see you Mart, our next gig there is Sunday 13th October - we play

from around 5pm to approx 8pm. It’s a great pub! 

Sorry I missed your band again at Withernsea this weekend - I was just up

the coast in Scarborough so couldn’t make it. Will hopefully get to see you

soon though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Munurmunuh said:

Was it a bit like this....

....except more so?

I'd like to say yes but it was probably more like The Count from Sesame Street teaming up with the Banana Splits!?! This version is great, very 70s soul. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, casapete said:

13th, so can’t wait! 

IMG_4078.jpeg

Huge respect on the requests sets Pete. Amazes me how you can do that.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Huge respect on the requests sets Pete. Amazes me how you can do that.

Dave

Cheers Dave - it’s mainly smoke and mirrors though! 

My guitarist buddy is truly amazing - he can play anything from 30’s swing/jazz

to heavy rock and everything in between and does lead vocals too, all to a very

high standard. I just keep the bottom end nailed down and sing harmonies wherever

I think appropriate- ‘Don’t fear the reaper’ was interesting, especially without laughing! 

The audience love us having a go at some stuff that is challenging - if we manage it

then great, if we don’t then they laugh along with us. The main thing is to be creative

with song keys - for example we did ‘Maggie May’ in ‘A’, ( with the guitar capoed up

to play in a D shape) as my mate’s vocal range is nowhere near Rod Stewart’s! 

• Like 5

We had a decent night at The Sarah Moore pub in Leigh-on-Sea on Saturday. I quite like this one as it's so close enough for me to walk to—well, I would if I didn't have to carry two basses, Helix, and a bag of "stuff." Load-in is dead easy in this place, and the landlord had kindly reserved the space for us so nobody was sitting there. He also moved the pool table, which had been in the way the last couple of times.  The only downside is that it's a rather cramped space for larger bands like ourselves, so I ended up standing at the back directly behind one of the guitarists. It makes me glad the guitars and bass are all direct to FOH with IEMs - I wouldn't have had any space to stand otherwise, and I would have struggled to hear properly as well.

We played well, and had a decent turnout. Aside from the regulars, its the sort of pub people tend to go on their way to somewhere else, but we must have done something right and most of them stayed for the evening. Not to mention my wife rustled up a healthy crown of friends too.

It was also our super-sub Sophie's last one with us for the foreseeable future, and she did us proud and sung her socks off.

Next week Birchanger Social Club

• Like 13

It was the last night in the old dive , and it closed with the Sunday jam. We had sixty people up to play. It’s moving to a new location so we’ll be back at it when the new one opens. It will be several weeks , there’s still a lot to do there. I’ve been doing the jam for 28 years , and have been gigging in the old place even longer. Bittersweet night , hard to believe it will be gone. Lineup outside , packed house. Wonderful night.

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, casapete said:

Cheers Dave - it’s mainly smoke and mirrors though! 

My guitarist buddy is truly amazing - he can play anything from 30’s swing/jazz

to heavy rock and everything in between and does lead vocals too, all to a very

high standard. I just keep the bottom end nailed down and sing harmonies wherever

I think appropriate- ‘Don’t fear the reaper’ was interesting, especially without laughing! 

The audience love us having a go at some stuff that is challenging - if we manage it

then great, if we don’t then they laugh along with us. The main thing is to be creative

with song keys - for example we did ‘Maggie May’ in ‘A’, ( with the guitar capoed up

to play in a D shape) as my mate’s vocal range is nowhere near Rod Stewart’s! 

I see where your coming from now. There's an element of fun involved. Sounds like it would be a great day/night out to see that.

Love the idea of it but as you say it takes a lot of skill and knowledge from your guitarist to pull it off plus you need to be pretty competent on bass to follow him. Don't underestimate your own abilities there Pete.

Dave

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, msb said:

It was the last night in the old dive , and it closed with the Sunday jam. We had sixty people up to play. It’s moving to a new location so we’ll be back at it when the new one opens. It will be several weeks , there’s still a lot to do there. I’ve been doing the jam for 28 years , and have been gigging in the old place even longer. Bittersweet night , hard to believe it will be gone. Lineup outside , packed house. Wonderful night.

IMG_1856.jpeg

IMG_1867.jpeg

IMG_1845.jpeg

Superb stuff @msb Great crowd and at least its moving to another venue rather than "the end" of a great gig.

Dave

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Nearly forgot, we had a young audience member who was a BIG fan of 'pinky' on Friday night, and asked if she could hold it. 😊 I'm pretty sure she was sober so was happy to oblige! 😅

PXL_20240830_192341400.jpg

Excellent!  That's one more of us, and one less of them!

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thomson, Snell and Passmore.

I can see them supporting Greenslade.

Now there was a fascinating blast from the past. Tony Reeves bassist i met at a Burns bass tour.

Dave

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I have run out of TLRTs (reactions) after trying to catch up after a weekend away.

492514413_TLRTEmpty.JPG.9d635a87a2ab715dcc9760ecc051d60b.JPG

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now there was a fascinating blast from the past. Tony Reeves bassist i met at a Burns bass tour.

Dave

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Unfortunately, I have run out of TLRTs (reactions) after trying to catch up after a weekend away.

492514413_TLRTEmpty.JPG.9d635a87a2ab715dcc9760ecc051d60b.JPG

You youngsters need to learn how to pace yourselves :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 1

A weekend of two halves. Saturday night took us to a pub that I am not fond of playing in. It is very crowded, always feels like it is on the edge of something kicking off and has the acoustics of a swimming pool. Turned up, not very crowded, set up, still the acoustics of a swimming pool. Hit on a revolutionary idea I managed to get the band to go along with of 'turning the volume down'. It worked really well, and the sound was fairly balanced (for the venue - only so much you can do with wooden floors, shiney walls, massive tv behind the band and reflective ceiling). Started off and it was notable that there weren't many people there. Turns out that the put has fallen out of favour with the sort of people that are almost kicking off all the time, and instead of 100 people ignoring us, we had 25 people who were really listening. 

As a result, it turned out that although probably good for business, I enjoyed it a lot more than I ever have there.

On packing up, some guy came up positively gushing as how good we were, and finding out where we were playing later.  He had danced to pretty well everything since linkin park.

Sunday was a club in a local village, I was having a problem with this as I didn't remember the venue at all, but had been assured by everyone we had played it, obviously they were right. A bit of a tricky decide as to how to set up - it was a long narrow shed, open to the sports field on the side, but it was also raining, so noone was going to be out there, so we faced down the room. The first half was pretty dire - loads of people, and there was a TV on the opposite wall we were facing with a load of blokes with their backs to us watching the football. There were people dotted around sort of moving and singing though, so not completely wasted. Then the game finished and the blokes wandered off, and we hit our 'you should be dancing' - 'does your mother know' combo and some women appeared from nowhere and did dance, and then basically carried on the for the rest of the gig, so in the end it went really well. 

They wanted to pay us extra at the end to go on for another hour, but I don't like doing that, it sounds sloppy and I am already tired, plus it was an afternoon gig, I could be home by 8, so I did and I was :)

• Like 19