Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I love that drum beat in the intro.

Daryl

Our drummer knew the Sweet and had a few lessons from Mick Tucker when he was a teenager. Apparently Mick and Ian Paice were best of friends and used to trade drum secrets with each other so Mick picked up a few things from Ian who was a lefty drummer so he was able to start a drum part with either left or right hand which makes copying his drum parts difficult at times.

Mick was a terrific drummer and also an amazing backing vocalist.

Dave

• Like 1

Bands like the Sweet and to some extent Slade were looked on as "Pop" bands in the UK and somewhat looked down on by snooty rock fans. It is only recently that Planet Rock have started playing Slade rather than cover versions by famous US bands. You also reminded me that we used to play Ballroom Blitz in one of my early bands and the singer could never get through the intro without laughing.

• Haha 2

Just played at Nene Valley rock festival. It’s a fantastically organised and well attended setup, volunteer run and not for profit. This year it was in the grounds of Grimatone Castle. Three stages, lots of food and drink and the weather was perfect. 

We had a 45 minute set, my second gig with the band (Genius The Fool). For some reason we didnt get a sound check so we jumped right in, and I couldn’t hear the keys very well. It sounded like why applied reverb to the whole mix or something. Anyway it sounded ok out front and the other bands I watched on that stage were great (Especially Haze who were amazing… bassist had a twin neck Shergold (bass and 12 string guitar) and a Sei five string). 

I was really pleased with how we played overall. I made a couple of errors but stuff only I would probably notice. I don’t gig that much so whenever I consciously thought to myself ‘smile and look at the crowd’ it threw me a bit but by the end it was feeling really natural. I think we had about 70 people in the audience, probably one of the better crowds of the night (I think the band have a bit of a following, I’ve only joined recently). 

d48779b8-c3c1-47ac-a7fa-7d498a2a929c.jpeg

• Like 20

An all day punk lineup at Whitehaven Civic Hall on Saturday. We were on at 5pm. I didn't realise but this clashed with a football game. It could have been that, or our reputation, but the crowd really thinned out for our set. That was a little embarrassing as I'd taken my partner to see me play for the first time. She seemed impressed but I think that might have been because she'd helped herself to most of our rider 🤣. Anyway, it's a nice venue with a great stage. The sound was absolutely terrible, as was the provided drum kit, but we just roll with it. I was staying in Whitehaven so the band took all of my gear back for me. A 5 minute walk to the hotel had me feeling pretty smug. Apparently we sold some merch to new people so that'll do :)

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Bands like the Sweet and to some extent Slade were looked on as "Pop" bands in the UK and somewhat looked down on by snooty rock fans. It is only recently that Planet Rock have started playing Slade rather than cover versions by famous US bands. You also reminded me that we used to play Ballroom Blitz in one of my early bands and the singer could never get through the intro without laughing.

I posted the following after seeing the Sweet at Northern Kin festival last year: "the Sweet who said they would finish at 8, so they didn't overlap with Jethro Tull, but they got such a huge reception they ended up doing their full set to a huge and rapturous audience, most of who fled towards Tull's big top afterwards. Ian Anderson must have been wondering why he had only half a tentful to start!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Most people and certainly the younger generation have no idea the work, effort and time bands like Sweet put in touring. These guys learned their trade thru live work before and during The Sweet years. All competent musicians and all excellent trained vocalists hence the amazing backing vocals. Their B side singles were usually a heavy rock song of their own while the A side was written by Chinn & Chapman. If you listen to some of their heavier songs its very much in line with earlier Deep Purple style of music.

Very under-rated band and possibly why they never really did much after Sweet. They weren't taken seriously. Anyone of those guys could have stepped into DP and easily covered the set list of songs. Quite a sad story when you follow them.

Dave

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Most people and certainly the younger generation have no idea the work, effort and time bands like Sweet put in touring. These guys learned their trade thru live work before and during The Sweet years. All competent musicians and all excellent trained vocalists hence the amazing backing vocals. Their B side singles were usually a heavy rock song of their own while the A side was written by Chinn & Chapman. If you listen to some of their heavier songs its very much in line with earlier Deep Purple style of music.

Very under-rated band and possibly why they never really did much after Sweet. They weren't taken seriously. Anyone of those guys could have stepped into DP and easily covered the set list of songs. Quite a sad story when you follow them.

Dave

Great band, Sweet. On those TOTP performances they absolutely nailed the glammed-up bricklayer look. I depped for a band a couple of years ago who did Ballroom Blitz. Really a lot of fun to play and the fact they had a female singer seemed to make the intro even camper. 
I remember that donkey’s ears ago John Peel played a Sweet B side on his show and challenged listeners to ring in with who they thought it was. Very few got it right, most callers thinking it was one of the well-know heavy rock giants of the day.

• Like 3

Gig at the BL's local (and the place I did the Jam Night Band residency for a year or more a while back) Satdy night, it had been booked for a 30th with public walk-ins allowed, too. Small bar, very full, tiny stage with five people on it so no room and boiling hot. It sounded OK through my inears, tho we were on the 4th choice drummer which meant a busy night for me, but the guest singer is very good, so she made up for it (sort of).

Got paid, but motorway closure meant my journey home was twice as long as it usually is. No setup or breakdown, as the BL had been there during the day setting up, and left the gear (PA, lights, etc) to pack up Sunday. Bonus.

£150 Squier (modded) P, Stomp, inears. Packed down in 4 minutes. Boom.

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Does that bloke in the bright orange hat and the camo jacket actually want to be seen or not? 😐🙂

I believe it's a hunting thing, where the bright orange is a strong indicator to other hunters that you're there and would really rather not be shot, as it's an unnatural colour for the environment that can easily be seen even in low light. Deer and other animals can't see it though so it's not a giveaway of your location to your prey.

• Like 1

Beer festival held at the Shirley British Legion, which is where the open mic I attend is held. Every year the organisers get the open miccers to provide the entertainment. This year I was providing bass accompaniment for three others (one of them is a blind 13 year old guitarist, very good, who plays plenty of assorted blues), as well as playing guitar for Mrs Zero to sing to. We like to stretch ourselves a bit, so we did Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad as one of our numbers.

The final act of the night, though, was Space Monkey. We haven't played together for three years and didn't have any rehearsal, our glorious leader just sent out a song list which was vaguely adhered to. I'd got my notes, then right at the end for the last encore he called for Gold. Slight moment of panic then I remembered I'd got my full cribsheet in Dropbox, quickly pulled it up and got in just in time.

There was a really enthusiastic reception - we built up quite a fanbase in the year or two we were together, and quite a few people said they were looking forwards to us. We had almost everyone up and dancing, which was pretty good.

PXL_20240907_2030597563.thumb.jpg.3d7d6c75b01d10ee441a202a42006616.jpg

• Like 18

5 hours ago, asingardenof said:

I believe it's a hunting thing, where the bright orange is a strong indicator to other hunters that you're there and would really rather not be shot, as it's an unnatural colour for the environment that can easily be seen even in low light. Deer and other animals can't see it though so it's not a giveaway of your location to your prey.

This.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I remember that donkey’s ears ago John Peel played a Sweet B side on his show and challenged listeners to ring in with who they thought it was. Very few got it right, most callers thinking it was one of the well-know heavy rock giants of the day.

I just went through my small collection of singles as I thought I had a copy of Ballroom Blitz.

Still I found something interesting, can anyone name the song that had 'Teddy the Dink" as a b-side. Googling verboten!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ped said:

Just played at Nene Valley rock festival. It’s a fantastically organised and well attended setup, volunteer run and not for profit. This year it was in the grounds of Grimatone Castle. Three stages, lots of food and drink and the weather was perfect. 

We had a 45 minute set, my second gig with the band (Genius The Fool). For some reason we didnt get a sound check so we jumped right in, and I couldn’t hear the keys very well. It sounded like why applied reverb to the whole mix or something. Anyway it sounded ok out front and the other bands I watched on that stage were great (Especially Haze who were amazing… bassist had a twin neck Shergold (bass and 12 string guitar) and a Sei five string). 

I was really pleased with how we played overall. I made a couple of errors but stuff only I would probably notice. I don’t gig that much so whenever I consciously thought to myself ‘smile and look at the crowd’ it threw me a bit but by the end it was feeling really natural. I think we had about 70 people in the audience, probably one of the better crowds of the night (I think the band have a bit of a following, I’ve only joined recently). 

Fantastic gig and a Fantastic photo.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Muzz said:

Does that bloke in the bright orange hat and the camo jacket actually want to be seen or not? 😐🙂

A shuttle bus arrived and they all were wearing orange & camo.

Fun, but very strange gig. I was surprised we could entertain such a young demographic.  However, keep in mind there was a lot of booze flowing.And you guys know what can happen with free unlimited alcohol and youngsters.

Daryl

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I just went through my small collection of singles as I thought I had a copy of Ballroom Blitz.

Still I found something interesting, can anyone name the song that had 'Teddy the Dink" as a b-side. Googling verboten!

Like you my small singles collection includes Teenage Rampage and Ballroom Blitz too. They were the first "proper" band i listened to and then Bowie took over until Station to Station. After that it was Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Alice Cooper and of course Rush in 76.

Dave

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I can see that. It's really like an anthem. 

Daryl

Some venues it fills the dance floor but others (most) it can clear the floor altho people will sit and record us on their phones when we play it. Its not really much of a dancing type song IMO.

Good to play tho.

Dave 

• Like 1

On 09/09/2024 at 09:17, ped said:

Recording and playing at home with a particular bass is one thing, how did you find the Mustang live? I’ve found mine delivers everywhere so far.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2024 at 01:33, dmccombe7 said:

Some venues it fills the dance floor but others (most) it can clear the floor altho people will sit and record us on their phones when we play it. Its not really much of a dancing type song IMO.

Good to play tho.

Dave 

Good discussion Dave.

It's really a cool study on how some material will " kill " at some venues and bomb at another.

Daryl

• Like 1