Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 10/09/2024 at 01:31, dmccombe7 said:

Like you my small singles collection includes Teenage Rampage and Ballroom Blitz too. They were the first "proper" band i listened to and then Bowie took over until Station to Station. After that it was Thin Lizzy, Kiss, Alice Cooper and of course Rush in 76.

Dave

I love Thin Lizzy.

Daryl

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Good discussion Dave.

It's really a cool study on how some material will " kill " at some venues and bomb at another.

Daryl

I'm sure we all have a song in our set lists that either works or doesn't work.

I think we've agreed to keep Sat Nights Alright for rock venues rather than the clubs where dancing is more common.

Only other times is when we need to do the full 2.5 - 3 hrs worth but we are trying to keep it down to 2x1hr sets as much as possible now.

Dave

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Recording and playing at home with a particular bass is one thing, how did you find the Mustang live? I’ve found mine delivers everywhere so far.

I’m honestly delighted with it. Not only is it supremely comfortable to wear for long sessions, it has all the grunt I could ask for. It sits perfectly in the mix, especially important when we have a keys and synth player. The string to string evenness (is that a word?) is very easy to work with as notes all over the neck have a ‘weight’ to them. The bridge pickup gives a little extra clarity and opens up the top end. I have found it very easy to hear myself in a range of situations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ped said:

notes all over the neck have a ‘weight’ to them.

This is so true of my my Mustang too. It’s plainly a short scale thing. Time to upgrade the pickups on my HB ‘stangalike methinks (once I’ve got over my current Spector GAS).

• Like 3

20 hours ago, ped said:

No mate there’s a thread about it here: 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/471651-modding-a-66-mustang-really-really/

Basically it’s got a rock style bridge and a Tbird neck pickup

That was a brilliant thread @ped. What an amazing range of tones from your choice of pick ups. 

The Bridge pick up reminded me of an EB3 Andy Frazer sound and then you moved into a more mellow P sound and no actives to help.

Love it.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That was a brilliant thread @ped. What an amazing range of tones from your choice of pick ups. 

The Bridge pick up reminded me of an EB3 Andy Frazer sound and then you moved into a more mellow P sound and no actives to help.

Love it.

Dave

Thanks mate I did some with rounds here

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/499042-sunday-bassvideo-recording/#comment-5302019

It really is super versatile. I’ve never had a better P and J sound in one instrument before. 

• Thanks 1

Bit late on this again I'm afraid.

I mentioned about my 4 gig week last week - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And just had the Saturday and Sunday to report on.

Saturdays gig was a wedding with the function band. Converted barn in thr middle of nowhere. Arrived and apparently their old 'non cut out' limiter, had been replaced that week, with one set to 95db, but right above the stage - knocking out stage sockets, if the red light was solid for 9 seconds. Utterly ridiculous. The couple who run it were lovely, and gave us a long extension lead to another room. It was put in by the owner (farmer and landowner, and a more obnoxious bloke you'd struggle to meet anywhere else). He turned up two songs in and went ballistic, pulling the power out. 

We were already playing really quiet, and I mean really quiet.

A few , let me say discussions were had with the tw*t. We demonstrated that at the back of the venue, the smart phone apps of a few of the guests were reading mid 80's, and just outside, it was mid 60's. 

He wouldn't have it, as apparently he'd had an 'expert' to install it. It was eventually agreed that we'd carry on, as we'd started and a good night was had by all. 

He said he'd get it moved to end of the barn.

Ho hum

Sunday's gig was a pub with the Northern Soul band (exactly the same line up, but different drummer). This was an absolute belter of a gig. So it turned out, that out of the four gigs, the cheapest and least plush one, was the best.

I've got a Ska gig tomorrow (two of the members of the function and Northern Soul bands are in that too- sort of a big family of bands really). This will now be back up to a five piece, as the sax/guitar player who's dying, has said he'd very much like to carry on and gig as long as he can. I'll be surprised if he sees Christmas really. 

Many thanks for the comments about this on the previous page (my last post).

I'll try and get a picture of tomorrow's gig. Though any of you in East Anglia may recognise him, as he's been around for a bit. He's quite private, so he may not want anyone to know outside of our close knit group of three bands. 

Thanks again guys for the comments earlier - death and taxes eh?

Edited by E sharp
Spelling
  • Like 14

20 minutes ago, E sharp said:

Bit late on this again I'm afraid.

I mentioned about my 4 gig week last week - Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday. And just had the Saturday and Sunday to report on.

Saturdays gig was a wedding with the function band. Converted barn in thr middle of nowhere. Arrived and apparently their old 'non cut out' limiter, had been replaced that week, with one set to 95db, but right above the stage - knocking out stage sockets, if the red light was solid for 9 seconds. Utterly ridiculous. The couple who run it were lovely, and gave us a long extension lead to another room. It was put in by the owner (farmer and landowner, and a more obnoxious bloke you'd struggle to meet anywhere else). He turned up two songs in and went ballistic, pulling the power out. 

We were already playing really quiet, and I mean really quiet.

A few , let me say discussions were had with the tw*t. We demonstrated that at the back of the venue, the smart phone apps of a few of the guests were reading mid 80's, and just outside, it was mid 60's. 

He wouldn't have it, as apparently he'd had an 'expert' to install it. It was eventually agreed that we'd carry on, as we'd started and a good night was had by all. 

He said he'd get it moved to end of the barn.

Ho hum

Sunday's gig was a pub with the Northern Soul band (exactly the same line up, but different drummer). This was an absolute belter of a gig. So it turned out, that out of the four gigs, the cheapest and least plush one, was the best.

I've got a Ska gig tomorrow (two of the members of the function and Northern Soul bands are in that too- sort of a big family of bands really). This will now be back up to a five piece, as the sax/guitar player who's dying, has said he'd very much like to carry on and gig as long as he can. I'll be surprised if he sees Christmas really. 

Many thanks for the comments about this on the previous page (my last post).

I'll try and get a picture of tomorrow's gig. Though any of you in East Anglia may recognise him, as he's been around for a bit. He's quite private, so he may not want anyone to know outside of our close knit group of three bands. 

Thanks again guys for the comments earlier - death and taxes eh?

4 gigs on a trot must be hard on the wee fingers. I'd really struggle with that. I struggle 2 days in a row.

All credit to you.

Dave

I was at the other end of the telescope tonight, meeting of a new entertainments/promotions committee for the club I do all the posters for.

Chap I hadn't met before but who is in an originals band and recently promoted a successful four-band night commented that lots of venues are suddenly demanding Oasis tributes. He added that a covers band could quickly learn a load of Oasis songs and charge tribute rates.

I replied "That will take them a few hours!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 hours ago, BigRedX said:

And a photo of the table in our dressing room - there was also a fridge full of beer and water plus cow's milk and oat milk.
IMG-1191.jpg

Blimey, that's been properly done, like it was years ago when people gave a sod about the bands they booked!

9 hours ago, Jackroadkill said:

Blimey, that's been properly done, like it was years ago when people gave a sod about the bands they booked!

Both bands I'm in have been well treated when we have played DHP venues here in Nottingham. Also most of the Goth/Post-Punk promotors make an effort to look after the bands that they book for gigs.

Having said that, the "support band dressing room" at the Bodega is tiny. While all three members of Hurtsfall could have fitted in simultaneously (just) it is doubtful that there would have also been room to get changed with more than one other person in the room. Still it's much better than having to use the toilets.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I was at the other end of the telescope tonight, meeting of a new entertainments/promotions committee for the club I do all the posters for.

Chap I hadn't met before but who is in an originals band and recently promoted a successful four-band night commented that lots of venues are suddenly demanding Oasis tributes. He added that a covers band could quickly learn a load of Oasis songs and charge tribute rates.

I replied "That will take them a few hours!"

We've added (even) more Oasis songs to the three/four we have in the set, if we weren't all so good-looking we could think about a Trib act... 😐🙂

Playing (mostly) in the North West it really is a no-brainer for Oasis stuff; like it or not, the punters love it - they did even before those Gallagher boys became the topic of conversation again...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

We've added (even) more Oasis songs to the three/four we have in the set, if we weren't all so good-looking we could think about a Trib act... 😐🙂

Playing (mostly) in the North West it really is a no-brainer for Oasis stuff; like it or not, the punters love it - they did even before those Gallagher boys became the topic of conversation again...

They've always been popular with audiences of all ages. People are so sniffy about them but I clearly remember how refreshing they sounded when they burst onto the scene. 

Just what music needed at the time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

They've always been popular with audiences of all ages. People are so sniffy about them but I clearly remember how refreshing they sounded when they burst onto the scene. 

Just what music needed at the time.

Few catchy hits for me but just not my kind of music. No doubting their popularity tho. Same with Blur.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

Really good night at a Supernova event at Poplar Union in London last night, we were one of four bands on, really nice vibe to the whole thing. The other bands were excellent and really friendly which  made it a very cool evening.

We gave really good account of ourselves and got a lot of positive comments from the crowd.

The Ibanez EHB continues to wow me in terms of sound and playability - I'm really enjoying playing it, and my back loves me for it :)

IMG-20240913-WA0037.jpg

Edited by ahpook
  • Like 12

Played at The Pheasant as part of Worcester Music Festival last night...

We were told to bring minimum stuff as it's a long narrow venue, so I brought the ACG and Helix to go into the supplied Ashdown 600 and 2 Laney cabs.

And I couldn't get any sort of clean sound! Whatever I did it was distorted, and not in a familiar Ashdown growl sort of way; with my usual BBE/Crown set up, or my Marshall Jubilee, I get an almost creamy but meaty slap sound until I hit the Helix drive button when it's growl-time. So after quite a while of fiddling with eq I discovered it sounded less-bad with Helix growl also engaged.

And it sort of worked for a bit - 1st couple of songs, OK, then an old mate who'd come up from London especially to see us signalled I should be louder. I turned up a bit and it was too loud, and not only that but there was a horrible crackling every time I moved and was too loud - had to play extra-light-touch so as not to drown everyone out. So unplugged both ends while our singer did some bants, and all was absolutely fine. All sounded great - our drummer said afterwards how good the bass sound was.

However, there was a decent crowd (100ish, which was pretty full - twas difficult getting our our bass player's cab out!), and I don't think any of them noticed my bass-centric woes as they stood there stroking their chins. Though my London mate jigged wildly, and there were some young folks (they exist!) also having a wiggle, which was nice. Not only that, but we were all collared individually on the way out and told never to come to Worcester again or there'd be trouble. And that they were looking forward to seeing us on 2nd November...

No pix yet, but as most of the band are doing holiday stuff till then we do have our gardening leave photo.

ChokedGardening.thumb.jpg.94faf5d25d00d813081aa2ab8c138462.jpg

• Like 16