Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

15 hours ago, scalpy said:

Long day doing a fundraiser for a theatre company I’ve played loads with. It was a pick up band, so one rehearsal on the day, matinee gig and then evening. It was a community do so the musical calibre was of variable calibre and the inexperienced md, despite working very hard on the charts doesn’t have the technical chops to write with the correct musical grammar, which is a proper headache when songs in Bb minor are written in A# for example. The occasion was a 60s singalong- let’s see if any takers can recognise these two groovy classics.

Anyways, lots of discussion and teamwork and we managed to put a show together, did about as well as I could do gluing tempos together between a lower section brass band drummer and an enthusiast dancer with a tambourine, off for a lie down and looking forward to a regular gig next weekend. 

IMG_4634.jpeg

IMG_4636.jpeg

IMG_4635.jpeg

Some mad rhythmic groupings on those charts - makes reading semi-quaver grooves ‘fun’ that’s for sure!

• Haha 1

The gig with dep drummer went ok. Interesting using house pa but Nick used his desk to eq it out with white noise which was impressive.

Often the Ex's doesn't start to fill up until 9 (the Alley being a rather sterile box with the lights on), but we had punters arriving from 8 which was a good sign. In the end it was rammed and our second set got much dancing. We used their lights plus ours so although pretty basic stuff it looked good in a Christmas Tree sort of way!

Obviously a few Interesting endings etc with a dep, but aside from almost everything being a bit fast to groove well, it went really well. The band WhatsApp is buzzing after two really good gigs 😎 feels like we've caught our stride now.

• Like 12

6 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Last nights gig with Emergency Exit punk covers was at The Riverside in Dumfries. The band has been playing this venue for 7yrs now (3yrs with me) but unfortunately due to noise complaints from locals that moved in recently the venue has suffered from noise complaints and the owner Ann has finally had enough and has decided to retire so i think that will be the end of live bands in this venue.

She retires next week so we were privileged to be asked to play for her. Sad moment but she had been to court so many times in past 2 yrs with it and won because she was putting live music on before these people moved in.

Decent turn out and very enthusiastic dancing around the bar and conservatory areas. 

1hr drive home so that was easy too.

Guitarist had a senior moment when he started Teenage Kicks in Db instead of D and he just couldn't get out of it and it was a disaster moment but we just made a joke of it and the audience appreciated its live music and sometimes we have senior moments. We did cut it short tho. :biggrin:

Band has a meeting this Thursday to see if we want to continue doing the punk covers band as venues that will accept punk are becoming less and less and the audiences are dwindling from 3 yrs ago. Its odd because any time we play we get a great response from all generations and age groups. Original member from 78 is doing a Ramones tribute too and is thinking its maybe time to call it a day. I'm 50/50 on it mainly because i like the people in the band and i really quite enjoy playing the songs. They have a lot of energy especially the SLF songs which have become my fav songs in the set.

Will see how it goes.

Dave

image.thumb.png.f322d8c2e3ce897ce982076e7697487e.png

Very nice.

Daryl

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thanks, even deeper on this! 🙂

Especially for Daryl!

What amp are you using with the Aggie cabs ?

Have to say that's about the speed we play it too altho originally we did it faster but guitarists were having trouble doing the solos. Think this is about the correct tempo tho. I always feel its dragging a little when playing it.

Dave 

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Much deeper than when I am playing it as I am an octave higher than that at that point (and ours is way faster!)

That's approx where i play Sat Night altho i do it all on the lower end of the neck up to 5th fret apart from first intro riff but basically the same. I do tend to throw in a few more 8ths during the chorus and especially the solos to fill it out a bit with just having one guitarist and no keys.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Undoubtedly, if it feels a little too slow it is probably right, last time we played it it went stupidly fast!

I remember ours used to do that and we spent a bit of time slowing it down to correct tempo. Its so easy to let it run fast on you. Great for the bass when it does. I found it easier to play at a slightly faster speed.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was going to say I play it the way I originally did it by watching @TJH3113 on YouTube, but seems I have more notes than that now!

Just had a wee look at the link and that's a great version he does. I think i'm pretty close to what he's doing altho playing down the neck a bit. Love the tone he has in that clip. Maybe i need a Ric bass :biggrin:

Dave

14 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's approx where i play Sat Night altho i do it all on the lower end of the neck up to 5th fret apart from first intro riff but basically the same. I do tend to throw in a few more 8ths during the chorus and especially the solos to fill it out a bit with just having one guitarist and no keys.

Dave

I try and stick to Dee Murray's original, it's my favourite 'test a bass' line 🙂

10 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I was going to say I play it the way I originally did it by watching @TJH3113 on YouTube, but seems I have more notes than that now!

Troy's videos are excellent.

10 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I remember ours used to do that and we spent a bit of time slowing it down to correct tempo. Its so easy to let it run fast on you. Great for the bass when it does. I found it easier to play at a slightly faster speed.

Dave

Our dep drummer was running a bit fast all night and it took away some of the groove.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Wee vid appeared from punk gig last night. First song of the night. Thought i'd give the old Geddy Jazz a wee airing for a few songs.

Dave

http://www.facebook.com/marion.harris.10/videos/1043943584404803/?notif_id=1726348665427037&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic_tagged&ref=notif

Is it set to 'private' or 'friends only'?

• Sad 1

Played some punky ska at some seaside pub in Dawlish for a music festival. Went down really well. Backline was interesting, Orange guitar valve head into some Ashdown combo speaker and 2 x10”, actually worked well and sounded quite nice. Also the first outing for my 6.4lb Spector…no back ache today, hoorah! 
IMG_9256.thumb.jpeg.eae213680297f8f27e0dfe15abc75833.jpeg

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Raslee said:

Played some punky ska at some seaside pub in Dawlish for a music festival. Went down really well. Backline was interesting, Orange guitar valve head into some Ashdown combo speaker and 2 x10”, actually worked well and sounded quite nice. Also the first outing for my 6.4lb Spector…no back ache today, hoorah! 
IMG_9256.thumb.jpeg.eae213680297f8f27e0dfe15abc75833.jpeg

That is an odd bass set up right enough.

Dave