Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

26 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

Next gig is mid November when I should have recovered

Take it very gently - heart surgery can leave you very weak & should not be stressed by heavy lifting, it can cause an internal rupture.

On that happy note, good luck, hope it all goes well !

😎

• Like 3

First outing for our new punk band, 'last gang in town', last night. Actually just a warm up gig at the guitarist house warming but quite a good audience. First proper outing this Thursday with my new 'Hendrix' band Purple Haze in support. Thursdays gig should be fun as it's at the Canadian dip bar and lots of oldies like us who feel like teenagers again when we play the punk stuff. Will post pics from that one. Punk not normally my thing but I can't believe how much fun it was to play! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

I did the gig last night as a duo that I had thought we would have to cancel due to my impending surgery, but that has changed to next week. So a nice bar down by the sea we’ve played before. Good crowd singing along which is always encouraging, proves we picked a good set. I got to drive the HX Stomp live, recently bought from @maidens97 of this parish.  It works a treat, makes me play a lot better. Well probably only in my head so thanks again. My wife acted as my roady as I’m not supposed to lift anything over the weight of a bag sugar. Ridiculous as I spent the two and half hour gig, without a break, with a 10 pound Stingray round my neck. Anyway a member of the bar staff helped her load out and even insisted on loading up the car, under my supervision. Nice people. Next gig is mid November when I should have recovered

All the best for a speedy recovery from surgery. My wife also helps both bands i'm in with loading and unloading gear more so at the end of the night. She doesn't drink and is able to take over the driving on longer hauls. She loves winding up cables at the end of the night and that is seriously a godsend for me. Wives are definitely a good thing. :laugh1:

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Boodang said:

First outing for our new punk band, 'last gang in town', last night. Actually just a warm up gig at the guitarist house warming but quite a good audience. First proper outing this Thursday with my new 'Hendrix' band Purple Haze in support. Thursdays gig should be fun as it's at the Canadian dip bar and lots of oldies like us who feel like teenagers again when we play the punk stuff. Will post pics from that one. Punk not normally my thing but I can't believe how much fun it was to play! 

100% on playing punk. Wasn't my thing either but when i started doing the songs i realised how much fun it is and requires a fair bit of finger stamina. 

"Long-haired punk isnae right" is a comment i've heard a few times now. Yep that would be me but usually all in good fun.

Dave

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Take it very gently - heart surgery can leave you very weak & should not be stressed by heavy lifting, it can cause an internal rupture.

On that happy note, good luck, hope it all goes well !

😎

Thanks for the good wishes. I’ve had all the take it easy stuff from the cardiac nurses at Brighton, as well as the surgeon. And my wife polices me incessantly so I am doing my best to behave. I suspect that will be even more intense after the surgery and I’m actually looking forward to a relaxing build up to Christmas. Although I suspect I will get very bored. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We played a charity night for a good cause I'm Cullercoats on Friday. Sarah's Stars are a little charity that help people with terminal diagnoses. The singer and I are both NHS so we were happy to help. It was nice to have another good gig under our belts, this project has been struggling to find its feet since we started. 

Our guitarist's son recorded the medley of songs at the end of our set and edited it into a nice little video, shame there's no bass on the phone mic but rest assured it was sufficiently pumping in the room. Hey, I'm the soundman. Bass all round. Sorry about the song choice, the medley is specifically for songs that were kind of feel obliged to play as a party band, but that we don't want to do full renditions of. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Gig last night at Whittles - Tokyo in Oldham with Sons of Nirvana. It was mighty!!!! The RD Artist is an amazing beast, even managed the 2 hours no bother with the incredible Pinegrove strap. The Ripper was a standby and is equally awesome, I do own 4! The Hiwatt and Barefaced 610 combination is just sublime!

IMG_2459.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bluewine said:

OMG!

Private Party today. Tough spot for me. I always brag about my short commutes to gigs compared to some of the commutes you guys make. We're providing sound & lights  so there's no room in the van for me. I have to drive. 

It's an hour and a half one way. I know nothing about this private party. We don't usually book gigs this far away unless it pays well.

We're all going to a Brewers Game at . American Family Field ( formerly Miller Park) on Sunday. The Brewers are already in the playoffs. 

Daryl

FB_IMG_1727541445748.jpg

It was a long drive. We were way out in the country. It was very dark when I left and almost got hit by a car I didn't see when turning onto the highway.  The car was moving at approximately 70 miles an hour.

We have a nighttime gig coming up in the city of Milwaukee in a neighborhood I don't care to be in late at night at my age. I'm going to tell the band leader that I won't be able to drive to that gig.

As for the gig,our dep drummer struggled the whole night. He was unable to keep time and almost crashed several songs.Very nice guy, however he doesn't have sufficient skills to perform with us in my opinion. 

Outside of walking away with $200.00 for myself it was a disastrous gig.

I haven't discussed what happened with the dep drummer with our band leader and I probably won't. If I do I'll end up being labeled as the

" bad guy". They're from a different generation and are much more tolerant than me.

Daryl

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I haven't discussed what happened with the dep drummer with our band leader and I probably won't. If I do I'll end up being labeled as the

" bad guy". They're from a different generation and are much more tolerant than me.

Talk to us, plenty of old farts here to sympathise with you :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A familiar venue for us in Crawley on Friday. One new experience, one regular. New - drunk woman wanted to sing one her songs with us and had a chord chart ready! It didn't happen. Regular - drummer messes up anything with a rall at the end, just doesn't listen or watch 😡

• Like 2

1 hour ago, walshy said:

Gig last night at Whittles - Tokyo in Oldham with Sons of Nirvana. It was mighty!!!! The RD Artist is an amazing beast, even managed the 2 hours no bother with the incredible Pinegrove strap. The Ripper was a standby and is equally awesome, I do own 4! The Hiwatt and Barefaced 610 combination is just sublime!

IMG_2459.jpeg

Love your choice of gear. Those basses and that rig must pretty thunderous.

Dave

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

It was a long drive. We were way out in the country. It was very dark when I left and almost got hit by a car I didn't see when turning onto the highway.  The car was moving at approximately 70 miles an hour.

We have a nighttime gig coming up in the city of Milwaukee in a neighborhood I don't care to be in late at night at my age. I'm going to tell the band leader that I won't be able to drive to that gig.

As for the gig,our dep drummer struggled the whole night. He was unable to keep time and almost crashed several songs.Very nice guy, however he doesn't have sufficient skills to perform with us in my opinion. 

Outside of walking away with $200.00 for myself it was a disastrous gig.

Daryl

Yep i agree with you on the drummer issue, best let that one alone. I'm sure the others in the band will have noticed the same issues but with age comes less tolerance for good old fashioned hard work and experience.

Yep i'm not so keen on the late night driving but our roads are very quiet after a gig. I usually arrive at venues when its still daylight so that's not so bad. I do love a Sun afternoon gig with the Glam band. Start 2pm home by 7pm. 

Take care with that late night driving Daryl. We like you too much on here. Get the youngsters to drive, probably doesn't faze them at all. :biggrin:

Dave