Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I am bloody buzzing still after last night's gig - what a difference compared to Friday night's debacle.  Played with Nine Lives at Wilsons in Aberdeen.  Where to start?  There were people there for a start, a decent crowd and they were up for a good night out.  Loads of dancers, some decent singalongs, hearty chants of "ANGUS!" during the intro to "Whole Lotta Rosie", you could say this gig had it all. 

Even the ar$ehole who got thrown out by the bouncer couldn't dampen my spirits.  He was a total weapons grade idiot - came up to the singer and grabbed the mic to shout out to his mates - I mean it's never funny but OK, do it once, have your fun then p!ss off, but he got drunker and drunker and ended up doing it three times.  The third time, I stepped in and rapped his knuckles to try and get his hand off the mic, then as he relinquished his grip and stepped back he stepped on one of the guitarists pedals, to which the guitarist obviously objected, to which the guy started to square up to the guitarist, but by that time the bouncer was there and got him out of there.  Of course, the knobber fought against his removal and ended up brawling with the bouncer, knocking over an older lady in the process.  We had to stop the music while she was checked over.  Being wireless, I went over and enquired as to her wellbeing.  I heard she ended up with a lump on her head, they got some ice on it but apparently she said she'd rather just have more alcohol.  What a trooper!

Anyhoo, doofus ejected from the pub, we continued the gig, and it went great right up to the end.  I got up to no good being wireless and went for a walkabout round the whole pub :D

Fantastic night, despite someone's worst efforts to spoil it, and it's like Friday night never happened.  Now for a well deserved weekend off next week, then another Fri/Sat the weekend after.  Rock 'n' roll!

It was Sire night on the gear front - played my D5 then my Z7 into the usual Markbass tone cubes.

20241012Wilsonsgear.thumb.jpg.65d838bf9c42447f673be3e1ee821593.jpg 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Merton said:

Shit.

Blown tyre halfway to Wolverhampton. Tyre repair kits are f***ing useless.

4 hours from phoning roadside assistance to having the tyre fitted.

Missed the gig entirely.

Thankfully we had someone who knew the set at the gig who could stand in.

Missed this:

IMG_2920.jpeg.d25b5e7ef24813f7fb47e03e86327210.jpeg

Ouch that's a sore one.

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I am bloody buzzing still after last night's gig - what a difference compared to Friday night's debacle.  Played with Nine Lives at Wilsons in Aberdeen.  Where to start?  There were people there for a start, a decent crowd and they were up for a good night out.  Loads of dancers, some decent singalongs, hearty chants of "ANGUS!" during the intro to "Whole Lotta Rosie", you could say this gig had it all. 

Even the ar$ehole who got thrown out by the bouncer couldn't dampen my spirits.  He was a total weapons grade idiot - came up to the singer and grabbed the mic to shout out to his mates - I mean it's never funny but OK, do it once, have your fun then p!ss off, but he got drunker and drunker and ended up doing it three times.  The third time, I stepped in and rapped his knuckles to try and get his hand off the mic, then as he relinquished his grip and stepped back he stepped on one of the guitarists pedals, to which the guitarist obviously objected, to which the guy started to square up to the guitarist, but by that time the bouncer was there and got him out of there.  Of course, the knobber fought against his removal and ended up brawling with the bouncer, knocking over an older lady in the process.  We had to stop the music while she was checked over.  Being wireless, I went over and enquired as to her wellbeing.  I heard she ended up with a lump on her head, they got some ice on it but apparently she said she'd rather just have more alcohol.  What a trooper!

Anyhoo, doofus ejected from the pub, we continued the gig, and it went great right up to the end.  I got up to no good being wireless and went for a walkabout round the whole pub :D

Fantastic night, despite someone's worst efforts to spoil it, and it's like Friday night never happened.  Now for a well deserved weekend off next week, then another Fri/Sat the weekend after.  Rock 'n' roll!

It was Sire night on the gear front - played my D5 then my Z7 into the usual Markbass tone cubes.

20241012Wilsonsgear.thumb.jpg.65d838bf9c42447f673be3e1ee821593.jpg 

Told you it would be a belter. Always have a little faith :laugh1:

Good to see you're back to normal cheery self again.

Dave

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

Great sold out home town gig at the Capitol theatre in Horsham tonight ( ok last night now🤣) with the Phil Collins tribute. My set up really inspires my confidence, my trusty Wal, Tecamp puma 900 and and the fabulous LFsys monza cab, an amazing little monitor. Thought we may be a bit rusty as it’s been a while since the last one but pleased to say everyone was’on it ‘

an the audience were amazing! We collect money for a homeless charity by selling t shirts etc. we don’t put a price on things, we just ask people to give what they feel is manageable for them and tonight we collected over a £1000 for the bridge house trust, based in Tunbridge wells. Peoples generosity is very humbling sometimes x 

IMG_9539.jpeg

Ah, if I'd known about this (and I wasn't in Tenerife 😄) I would have made the short trip from Burgess Hill to see you. Plus I've a passion for work with the homeless and I spent 18 years working in Horsham. Next time. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, neepheid said:

And a video of me on my walkabout...

You're not what i was expecting to see for some odd reason @neepheid plus when i saw you in the vid i was expecting some ZZTop. :biggrin:

Always good fun going for a walkabout.

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

You're not what i was expecting to see for some odd reason @neepheid plus when i saw you in the vid i was expecting some ZZTop. :biggrin:

Always good fun going for a walkabout.

Dave

That reminds me - one of the few high points from Friday night was a table of lads in the second half chanting "Sunty, sunty, gie's a tune, sunty gie's a tune"

(for the sassenachs - "sunty" is a NE Scottish colloquial pronounciation of "santa" as in Santa Claus)

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

That reminds me - one of the few high points from Friday night was a table of lads in the second half chanting "Sunty, sunty, gie's a tune, sunty gie's a tune"

(for the sassenachs - "sunty" is a Scottish colloquial pronounciation of "santa" as in Santa Claus)

I'm Scottish and didn't know that. Is that not one of those weird Aberdonian words. Do you not have your own language up there ? Can't remember what its called. Might just be an accent i'm thinking of. Her from River City does it (Is it Roisin she's called ?)

Dave

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm Scottish and didn't know that. Is that not one of those weird Aberdonian words. Do you not have your own language up there ? Can't remember what its called. Might just be an accent i'm thinking of. Her from River City does it (Is it Roisin she's called ?)

Dave

Doric, min.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We played a lovely little venue in Leeds last night. Crank Studios - it’s kind of a music school with a venue/bar. The whole venture is great - set up by a pair of musicians, they do music lessons and dance classes, and even a ‘rock school’ where a cohort of kids between 6-16 get out into bands and after twelve weeks they do a gig. I think that’s amazing and if I lived nearer I’d love to support that. 

We played as part of a ‘showcase’ to help promote the new venue and only had 30 mins, and a 7 piece band in a small area - but we had fun and the sound was OK. I bought my full rig but ended up only using the 2x10 because I felt a bit silly having the 15 as well. I wish I did though just to raise the 2x10 because it was pointing at my ankles but it sounded good out front. 

I don’t think I played particularly well, partly because I couldn’t hear myself that well, but nobody noticed and we had some great feedback after our brief set. 

Next gig is in 2 weeks at ‘platform 1’ in Bedlington, looks like a good venue and we are headlining so we can do our full set. 

Pics of sound check - we had an audience of about 30, place was pretty full, which was nice. 

So a small but fun and relatively local gig. Mustang sounded spot on again. Got home quite early and had three Crunch Corner yogs. 

IMG_9888.jpeg

IMG_9887.jpeg

• Like 17

Friday night at the magnificent Trillians Rock Bar in Newcastle with Sons of Nirvana. Packed out and a great night was had by all. What a rig this is, the Hiwatt is outstanding and through the Barefaced 610 its mighty! Gibson basses rule too 💙

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

Edited by walshy
  • Like 20

We had an afternoon gig that kind of turned into an early evening gig. The last spot went in a flash, but was actually over an hour and a half. It's a great pub and sounded fantastic. The landlord has spent a lot of time and effort setting up a proper stage, and it really makes a difference.

It was a little disturbing to hear that they only had 19 people in on Friday though. That sort of thing makes it really hard to keep putting on bands 3 times a week. Luckily we managed to draw a decent crowd, so played for a bit longer than we normally would (to keep them spending over the bar - that's what it's all about)

At the end of the gig it took me about 20 minutes to make my way to the back of the pub to where the loos are, because it seemed that everyone wanted to stop and talk about how great it sounded, how well we played, etc. It's not easy to tear yourself away even with a full bladder when you're being showered with compliments 😁. Anyway it continued while we packed up meaning that we took ages.

We have next weekend off, but are going to have an "extraordinary general rehearsal" next week (we very rarely rehearse) to polish up a few songs for the Donkey the week after - probably our last there ☹️

• Like 13

Had three gigs with the acoustic duo this week. 

First was at the local pub in my village, which we do a couple of times a year. Despite

advertising it well, not quite as many punters in as usual. It’s been Hull Fair week though,

which is a big event around here so maybe some people were there instead. Anyway, the

gig went okay with the bonus of home being only 2 mins away.

Last night we played at a nice hotel just outside Scarborough. The event was for a 60th birthday

and there were about 80 guests who unfortunately were spread out over 3 rooms, making it hard

to connect with them collectively. We set up in a conservatory which ran alongside the bar and

the dining areas, and just tried our best to entertain them. Didn’t help having a few kids running

around , and even a couple of dogs too! Played all their requests, but had to concede defeat at

really winning them over. Turned out many were doctors, who just wanted to talk shop I think.

Finished by 10.15, quick pack down and home by 11.30pm. 

Complete contrast today though - a return to The Sun Inn in Beverley. Arrived at 4.30pm and by

the time we’d set up the PA it was full of punters all out for a good time. Inundated with requests,

notable ones being ‘Crazy horses’ , ‘Dead flowers’ and ‘Babylon’. Had to skip some stuff by Eminem

and Beastie Boys for obvious reasons, but overall a cracking afternoon/ early evening session to a

rammed pub. Next visit there is December 22nd when as well as our usual request format we are

asking a few local singers to come in and maybe do a few festive classics with us. Got four lined

up already, and Paul the landlord is also keen too so should be great fun. 
(No pics taken today but the pub is opposite Beverley Minster which looked incredible tonight.)

IMG_4150.jpeg

• Like 20

On 07/10/2024 at 23:14, Bluewine said:

Full Maple Road band at The Baaree this Sunday 3-7.

I would have preferred a Friday or Saturday night but Sunday afternoons can be good .

Cool venue;

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/UCMsAEB5T855roHb/

FB_IMG_1728359167137.jpg

The Sunday 4-7 Maple Road gig at The Baaree turned out pretty good. 

Decent size engaged crowd, low stage volume and we were good.

Not much for pictures.  Check out the guidelines for bands. I'd say it's pretty fair.

Daryl

FB_IMG_1728682571667.jpg

20241013_191828.jpg

20241013_181751.jpg

20241013_150703.jpg

20241013_181810.jpg

20241013_191853.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TheStarsmith said:

Played a 60th Birthday Party at the Shooters Arms in Burnley last night. Rammed.

Debuted my new (to me) 69 Precision Bass.  Sounded perfect in some of the Jam / Clash numbers we play 👍

IMG_5208.jpeg

Bet that was a wonderful tone. A P bass thru an Orange valve rig has to sound great.

Dave

• Like 1

On 13/10/2024 at 13:07, SuperSeagull said:

Ah, if I'd known about this (and I wasn't in Tenerife 😄) I would have made the short trip from Burgess Hill to see you. Plus I've a passion for work with the homeless and I spent 18 years working in Horsham. Next time. 

Hi, we’re playing at the factory in Worthing soon if you’re interested, can’t remember the exact date off hand but think early November 😊

• Like 1