Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

A little late, but we played a multi-band gig at Legends in Edinburgh on Saturday for a fundraiser for Gazan families. Great atmos and a seriously pumped crowd. My friendly and approachable stage persona was in full swing.

me_pointing.thumb.jpg.8e4b50fef4ebf34346f59967937d9050.jpg

Edited by lozkerr
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lozkerr said:

A little late, but we played a multi-band gig at Legends in Edinburgh on Saturday for a fundraiser for Gazan families. Great atmos and a seriously pumped crowd. My friendly and approachable stage persona was in full swing.

I do like a sparkly bass 🤩

• Like 3

Deadlight Dance did a quick turn at one of the local open mic nights, as we have been a bit light on bookings. We played two off of our new EP, one of the singles off of the debut album and ended on Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart. I got a genuine laugh for describing us as "Wiltshire's darkest boy band". The low point was a very drunken lady congratulating me on my Halloween costume that I had to explain was actually just how I look. A good standard of acts last night and we are both experienced enough to pay the other acts the courtesy of watching and supporting them. 

25e58c3d-d9e7-4472-94e0-135c1a3adb85.thumb.jpg.a62ce2f108d6dea1bbf0bd16e58f9412.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Deadlight Dance did a quick turn at one of the local open mic nights, ...

We did similar, doing a few numbers at Bargoed folk club - the high points being my partner, usually our band's percussionist, singing lead vocal on "Help Me Make it through the Night", and (having forgotten my treble recorder) me playing a bit of John Playford melody on octave mandolin. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I do get irritated by those who turn up and agitate to get on early then disappear as soon as they have played.

Must admit that if i'm supporting i usually pack up and head home mainly because i have to drive minimum of 1hr to any gig and its good to get home early from a gig for a change.

Dave

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Must admit that if i'm supporting i usually pack up and head home mainly because i have to drive minimum of 1hr to any gig and its good to get home early from a gig for a change.

Dave

This tends to be me too. It’s not like I’m in a mad panic to get away, that might seem rude, but I’ll probably be off part way through the next set. That said, my next support is only 40mins down the road, so I might stay for a bit longer. Our BL tends to stay on for any other bands, so there is a band representative there, but he’s more local.

36 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I do get irritated by those who turn up and agitate to get on early then disappear as soon as they have played.

I do like to try and watch the other bands if I don't have a long journey back. I'll always try and say to the other bands if I have to leave, so I'm not just disappearing. Try and be a bit more polite.

• Like 1

I'm not completely heartless but I usually don't know the other band at all and if i don't see them watching us then i have no probs leaving as soon as i've finished.

Had some very stand offish and unhelpful bands i've been on same gig. On the other hand i've occasionally come across a really helpful group of guys that can't do enough and i'll always make a point of either staying for a bit or at the very least thanking them and/or explain we have a 2-3 hr drive ahead of us and wish them a good gig.

Dave

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm not completely heartless but I usually don't know the other band at all and if i don't see them watching us then i have no probs leaving as soon as i've finished.

Had some very stand offish and unhelpful bands i've been on same gig. On the other hand i've occasionally come across a really helpful group of guys that can't do enough and i'll always make a point of either staying for a bit or at the very least thanking them and/or explain we have a 2-3 hr drive ahead of us and wish them a good gig.

Dave

Actually, I have had those too. I've found in the doom scene, bands seem to be nicer than they were in the post-rock scene from that perspective. Might be the high (pun intended) number of stoners the genre attracts?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Actually, I have had those too. I've found in the doom scene, bands seem to be nicer than they were in the post-rock scene from that perspective. Might be the high (pun intended) number of stoners the genre attracts?

Aye, they had actually started to leave, but it took them the length of your set to make it to the door...

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

Support gigs are a bit different to open mics/jam nights, which is what I was meaning.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lozkerr said:

I love this.

Edited by Jackroadkill
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2024 at 12:16, Wilson_51_ said:

Nice action shots, we played this too (last band on Erronaut), we got there about halfway through your set and it was a great watch . luckily you didn't have the downpour that we has when we played. Ha! 

Ah awesome! Cheers! Sorry to hear about the weather, it was iffy all day. Will keep an eye out for ya, hopefully our paths will cross again :) 

• Like 3

Just to echo @AndyTravis's comments above... Saturday was great: afternoon gigs might be the way forward.

Fiasco Jam were phenomenal - great songs, great arrangements and everyone locked in. As I've already said to him, Andy might be my favourite bassist: despite his immense technical and sonic range, he always serves the song and never puts a foot wrong.

We were a bit rusty in comparison but acquitted ourselves acceptably. Very grateful to FJ for taking us along!

IMG-20241012-WA0004.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2024 at 08:56, Stub Mandrel said:

This. Very recently we had a gig and a young girl was doing some solo vocal work before my band played, nice mood setting etc, we helped her setup, soundcheck, used our gear, she sang (very well tbf), but then when she was done packed her bits up and left without saying a word of thanks or watching us play. :(! 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2