Why become a member? ×

So what are USA Laklands like?

NJE

Hello,

I may have an opportunity to aquire a Lakland 55-94 and I was just wondering what Basschatters thoughts were. How do they compare to the skylines in terms of playability, and do the necks differ at all?

I have played a few 55-02 Skylines in the past and quite like them although the necks just didn't really do it for me. To me the necks just felt a bit cheap and I found them quite chunky and angular if that doesnt sound too odd.

If I take it any further I will get the chance to try before I buy but I just want to get an idea of what to expect. Has anyone owned or played both USA and Skyline? Is there a real difference?

Any help gratefully received.

Nathan

Edited by NJE

I have a us jo osbourne and i still have a skyline scheff, and have previously owned a 55-02, 44-02, and a skyline jo.

the best description on the old dudepit was you get 80% of the bass for half the money and its probably not far off. The us production is flawless, great finish, great action set up, and controlled weight.

The electrics are the same for both, but the us jo has a graphite reinforced neck and two dual contric pots which i prefer.

Of the skylines I have had, there is not the same attention to detail, the little things, the soldering, they are made to a price, and some of the early ones were heavy.

It depends how much you are prepared to pay extra for that certain little something. I love my jo but its not always the first one i would pick up.

I think if I had the choice all over again, and the weighs were ok, i would probably have a skyline jo and a skyline glaub rather than a us jo.

[quote name='Faithless' post='762200' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:29 PM']we had it somewhere here..

Try searching 'difference between Lakland', something like that..

That was my question there, actually..[/quote]

Looks like it was this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62821"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=62821[/url]

[quote name='NJE' post='762182' date='Mar 2 2010, 08:14 PM']I have played a few 55-02 Skylines in the past and quite like them although the necks just didn't really do it for me. To me the necks just felt a bit cheap and I found them quite chunky and angular if that doesnt sound too odd.[/quote]

You won't like the USA models either - they square off the fingerboards rather than rounding off the edges, that's what makes them feel cheap and mechanical. I don't like them either.

I also think Lakland are responsible for stupid bollocks ideas like through-body stringing and 35" scale being beneficial in some appreciable way.

Thanks for the links, I did a pre post search but must have bypassed one of those threads because it was about the Glaub, intersting now I have read it though.

I think the posts I have read seem to confirm my thoughts that the Skyline is not far off the USA and that the woods and build are slightly better but they are quite similar. If the necks and feel of the instrument are similar then I think I might have to leave it. I was slightly reluctant about the satin neck (I hate them) and if the USA models still have a similar feel with angular fretboard but just with nicer neck woods, then maybe its not for me.

I might still try and give it ago but just trying to get an informed idea of what it will be like beforehand.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I must say my US Glaub is amazing, it really is up there with the best of 'em for sound, playability, looks, etc. I did try a Skyline Glaub first and wasn't impressed much with the instrument all round, compared to my US Fender P.

Hope that helps,
JTB

For me Lakland basses are what Fender could have been if they hadn't got lazy! I've never played a Skyline, they didn't exist when I bought my 55-94, but that was over 10 years ago so you could guess what I think about Lakland. Try them, you’ll either love them or not, and don’t get hung up about satin finish necks, they feel great and play fast.

I also agree about the satin necks seeming cheap and unfinished.
My first Lakland was a 55-01 and i never really liked the look of it. Played like a dream though and thats the most important thing to me.
Then again, it was only £699 so i guess it was cheap.
My other Skylines have had better finished necks.

Ive never played a USA Lakland but i know i could find something that i love at a much cheaper price, thats more a budget thing than a quality thing for me.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='762502' date='Mar 3 2010, 05:56 AM']I also think Lakland are responsible for stupid bollocks ideas like through-body stringing and 35" scale being beneficial in some appreciable way.[/quote]
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't go there - the argument will last for all eternity :)

I think the general consensus that I found out was that a GOOD Skyline is very near a USA. But...Ive yet to find a really good Skyline that I wanted...apart from a Sunburst one in Bass Merchant. They all sound amazing to me, but like Ive mentioned before, recently their QC is worse than ive experience with Fender! I blame it on them becoming popular and the fact they are basically almost 2 years old before they get here to be sold. Thats my experience anyway.

If I lived in the US, Id have a few Skylines without a doubt....Id be really picky but Id find them. Dave seems to have had some absolute belters.

I recently looked at a 55-02...must admit it looked brilliant, but a little too modern for me. Price tag was also astronomical for a non-US built instrument.

[quote name='henry norton' post='762709' date='Mar 3 2010, 10:49 AM']NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't go there - the argument will last for all eternity :)[/quote]

When i got my Fender P5 i still had had my 55-01 and i thought the B sting on the 34" Fender was just as good as the 55-01. No problems at all with it.
I dont think i even noticed the scale difference when playing each.

Could that extra 1" just be snake oil :rolleyes:

Over the past few years I've had 5 different Skylines. The were all good but the DJ4, DJ5 and the current Duck Dunn have all been superb. I cannot fault the build quality or the neck finish. Now I just have the DD and it sounds awesome however it is a tad heavy, perhaps that why it sounds so good.

Thanks again for the feedback.

The more I hear that the Skylines are reasonablty close to the US in terms of feel, the more I am put off even trying one. I don't like the neck profile on the Skyline 55-02 or the satin feel so I doubt the 55-94 is what I am after, Think I will stick with the Overwater after all.

Off topic slightly but another thing I literally just found out is that Lakland don't actually make their own bodies and necks even for the USA models. Now I know there has been some talk of other companies having another party make the basic parts (Sadowsky NYC models to name one) and I know they do amazing finishing work and produce amazing instruments, but it takes away a bit of the romance for me when the bass is not actually made by the company. I suppose a small requirement for me at that price point would be a handmade instrument.

You take Overwater, Sei, Shuker, MTD they all make their own stuff and thats what makes them special to me. Sorry off topic and not meant to insult any companies or owners, I am just slightly suprised.

[quote name='NJE' post='762853' date='Mar 3 2010, 12:38 PM']Thanks again for the feedback.

The more I hear that the Skylines are reasonablty close to the US in terms of feel, the more I am put off even trying one. I don't like the neck profile on the Skyline 55-02 or the satin feel so I doubt the 55-94 is what I am after, Think I will stick with the Overwater after all.

Off topic slightly but another thing I literally just found out is that Lakland don't actually make their own bodies and necks even for the USA models. Now I know there has been some talk of other companies having another party make the basic parts (Sadowsky NYC models to name one) and I know they do amazing finishing work and produce amazing instruments, but it takes away a bit of the romance for me when the bass is not actually made by the company. I suppose a small requirement for me at that price point would be a handmade instrument.

You take Overwater, Sei, Shuker, MTD they all make their own stuff and thats what makes them special to me. Sorry off topic and not meant to insult any companies or owners, I am just slightly suprised.[/quote]

I am also tempted by Overwater and Sei at the moment!