Why become a member? ×

Fretless '72 Ibanez P-bass

Clarky

I am venturing into the world of fretless. No idea if it will work out but I am giving myself the best possible chance with this lovely vintage Ibanez (previously owned by several BC'ers including Pentode, Happy Jack and Beedster) as it has incredibly user-friendly fret markings on the edge of the neck. These are largely invisible to the audience but - to the player - give the appearance of a fretted neck. I have swapped over the rounds for TI Flats and it plays really nicely. So far, so good ....

[attachment=44051:2128v9t.jpg]

Pic is courtesy of Happy Jack from his FS ad (hope thats OK Jack?)

[quote name='yorick' post='763648' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:56 AM']very nice... are we to see any Claypool-isms with Kismetik? :rolleyes:[/quote]
Funnily enough I have never heard anything by Claypool or Primus other than the SpongeBob Squarepants theme tune!

It may be a little while before I bring this a long to a band practice :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='763638' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:39 AM'][attachment=44051:2128v9t.jpg]

Pic is courtesy of Happy Jack from his FS ad (hope thats OK Jack?)[/quote]

No worries, Clarky. It's nice to be reminded what my garden looked like before three months of frost killed everything. :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='763651' date='Mar 4 2010, 08:58 AM']It may be a little while before I bring this a long to a band practice :)[/quote]

But that's the best way to learn fretless mate, keeps you honest and stops you turining into a poncy slide and vibrato merchant in your bedroom

[quote name='Beedster' post='763737' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:22 AM']But that's the best way to learn fretless mate, keeps you honest and stops you turining into a poncy slide and vibrato merchant in your bedroom[/quote]
But I thought the whole idea was to slide up or down at least a tone and a half on every note? :)

PS, Chris (or Jack or Pentode), did you ever try adjusting the truss rod on this bass? I had a quick go yesterday, having swapped for lower tension strings, and it seems absolutely unmoveable. Its not a serious issue as it plays well and I was just trying to tweak slightly.

[quote name='Clarky' post='763755' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:39 AM']But I thought the whole idea was to slide up or down at least a tone and a half on every note? :)

PS, Chris (or Jack or Pentode), did you ever try adjusting the truss rod on this bass? I had a quick go yesterday, having swapped for lower tension strings, and it seems absolutely unmoveable. Its not a serious issue as it plays well and I was just trying to tweak slightly.[/quote]

I didn't Clarky, sorry. Put some La Bellas on there, that'll sort things!

[quote name='Beedster' post='763758' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:43 AM']I didn't Clarky, sorry. Put some La Bellas on there, that'll sort things![/quote]
If you mean your beloved Jamersons, that will make it worse, I was trying to lower the action and they would cause a bigger bow!

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='763692' date='Mar 4 2010, 09:40 AM']No worries, Clarky. It's nice to be reminded what my garden looked like before three months of frost killed everything. :)[/quote]
Jack has a shrubbery!

“First you must find... another shrubbery! Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forrest... with... a herring!”

[quote name='Clarky' post='763759' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:45 AM']If you mean your beloved Jamersons, that will make it worse, I was trying to lower the action and they would cause a bigger bow![/quote]

Mmmm, if you put on lower tension strings without moving anything else, you will have reduced relief and lower, if not all over the place, action. If you have too little relief due to low tension strings and a locked truss rod, you need higher tension strings surely?

[quote name='Beedster' post='763764' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:53 AM']Mmmm, if you put on lower tension strings without moving anything else, you will have reduced relief and lower, if not all over the place, action. If you have too little relief due to low tension strings and a locked truss rod, you need higher tension strings surely?[/quote]
The action did lower slightly with the TI Flats (due to reduced relief) but I would ideally like the action 1mm or so lower (its about 3-4mm at the 12th fret for example). It will probably affect the tone (I know you like medium/high action) but I like it low and fast!

[quote name='Clarky' post='763767' date='Mar 4 2010, 10:58 AM']The action did lower slightly with the TI Flats (due to reduced relief) but I would ideally like the action 1mm or so lower (its about 3-4mm at the 12th fret for example). It will probably affect the tone (I know you like medium/high action) but I like it low and fast![/quote]

Ah, I see. IIRC that neck was pretty straight anyway, is there nothing left at the saddles to lower?

[quote name='Beedster' post='763771' date='Mar 4 2010, 11:00 AM']Ah, I see. IIRC that neck was pretty straight anyway, is there nothing left at the saddles to lower?[/quote]
Nope they are all very low (3 as low as they will go).

As I said its not a biggie as it plays nicely already but if the action could go that little bit lower it would make life easier for me.

Edited by Clarky