Why become a member? ×

Advice Needed

absolutpepper

Hi

This may seem odd - and maybe even obvious to someone but i am looking for some advice.

I've got a 2008 Ric 4003 (see pic in Sig) and I recently stuck on a set of 45 - 105 DR High Beams. The bass is in standard tuning and while everything worked out fine with the re-stringing there is a problem with the A string. When tuned up all of the strings have that nice 'zing' of a new roundwound string and sound bright and clear, however the A string is making a vibrating sound which seems to be dampening the string somewhat and preventing it ringing true.

Id be surprised if it was a set-up issue and the string is making no contact with anything other than the bridge and the nut - I was wondering if I've perhaps been overly hasty with the cutting and maybe cut too much away meaning there is less around the winder at the tuner which could affect tension.

Any advice????

Ta

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='767791' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:14 PM']Sounds like a dud string to me? Happens quite often.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply but damn, that's annoying. Ah well if its the case that it costs me a string as opposed to taking it into the shop and having a setup done I suppose its not so bad.

Does anyone know where you can pick up individual DR strings online in UK?

btw Breedster enjoyed the posts on the Micro Ampeg rig. Very intriguing.

Chris

[quote name='absolutpepper' post='767850' date='Mar 8 2010, 12:47 PM']Thanks for the quick reply but damn, that's annoying. Ah well if its the case that it costs me a string as opposed to taking it into the shop and having a setup done I suppose its not so bad.

Does anyone know where you can pick up individual DR strings online in UK?

btw Breedster enjoyed the posts on the Micro Ampeg rig. Very intriguing.

Chris[/quote]

Do you have more than one bass? If yes, then you can check if it's the string. If it is, and it's new, simply contact the seller and ask for a replacement. I've had several dud strings (La Bella are quite famous for it), and never has any problem returning them. A decent/experienced retailer will likely expect to get a certain amount of returns.

Glad you like the stuff on the Ampeg, it's a great piece of kit

Chris

Yeah I have too many basses, I'll swap one out of my Classic Vibe Jazz to get a better idea. Sadly the strings were from a friend who bought them and never used them so I cant return...ah well fingers crossed it gets sorted easily.

Defo gonna look at those cool little ampegs now.

Chris