Why become a member? ×

Early/mid-'70s Ibanez Precision-alike fretless; sunburst/tort

Clarky

I bought this a week or so ago from Pentode (it has done the rounds on BC, having previously been owned by Happy Jack, Beedster and aj5string as well). Its [s]a '72 [/s] an early/mid '70s fretless Ibanez in Jamerson livery, ie, three-tone sunburst, tortoiseshell scratchplate and rosewood board. Its USP is that it has fret-lines and dots on the edge of the board which give the impression to the player of it being a fretted bass and so help massively with intonation - but to the audience it looks like an unlined rosewood board for full fretless credibility! Thus it is is ideal for a fretless newbie (which is why I got it).

I am only selling as I have played it non-stop since I got it and have since decided that I want to take the plunge into fretless in a serious way (I am trying to track down a vintage 70s Fender fretless or a Tony Franklin fretless)

For some reason my work PC will not upload photos this morning (even though my attachment area has plenty of memory free). However there is a photo in the link below in my sig, courtesy of Happy Jack (nice shrubbery!). Also here is a previous FS thread (hope that's OK aj5string?) with links to other photos [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75964&hl=Ibanez+fretless"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...Ibanez+fretless[/url]. For some reason between Jack owning it and it arriving with me the chrome bridge cover and white plastic truss rod cover have gone AWOL - obviously this does not affect the playability but I thought best to mention it.

I paid £295 including hard case and delivery and am offering for the same - after all its only been a week! If collected from me in Central London its £275

Edited by Clarky

Lovely bass this. I thought it was a '72 but was corrected by Mr Bassassin who pointed out it's not possible to state that with certainty with Ibbys of this era. I think the upshot was it's 'early to mid-70's'.

This is a great fretless for a beginner. Why? Because although there are fret markers on the side of the neck - and unlike most FLs at each fret - you still have to place the finger on the board using a combination of visual correction and hearing. Whilst you're learning, the lines are a huge asset, once you've learned, they no longer get in the way. It also prepares you for what happens when you play lined fretless on a poorly lit stage!

For those of you who think a fretless Precision wouldn't work (i.e., would prefer a Jazz), think about sticking one of John East's new P-Retros in this and you'd have an extremely versatile and vintage fretless bass for under £500.

Clarky, any decisions yet? You know my views.....

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='768926' date='Mar 9 2010, 09:56 AM']Clarky, any decisions yet? You know my views.....[/quote]
I have made an offer on a mid-70s fretless - subject to the seller confirming the provenance (ie, age/serial #, not a re-fin, all-original etc) - and await their response :)

Thanks for the comments on the Ibby too, Chris. FWIW, I think it has a decent thick Precision sound without a pre-amp but it would undoubtedly have a much greater variety of sounds if the J-Retro was added

This is what it looked like before all these crazy Basschat people got their mitts on it:

[url="http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3[/url]

This is a seriously good P-bass, a bit heavy but a great player and superb tone. Above all, it's ideal for a fretless newbie looking to learn how to play fretless with confidence.

As a direct result of owning this bass for six months, I converted my Lakland Duck Dunn to fretless using the same fret-end system as on the Ibby.

Clarky is a faster mover than me ... it took him six days. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='769019' date='Mar 9 2010, 11:30 AM']....a bit heavy....[/quote]

I didn't think so Jack. I used a fretted Stingray in the same session at which I recorded it, and the 'ray was far heavier (and it wasn't pre-EB either). I guess weight is always relative, but I've played far heavier basses.

C