Why become a member? ×

What Patch Cables Are You Using For Your FX?

Phaedrus

Hi,

I guess the most common cables I see on guy's FX boards are those 6-in-a-pack multi-coloured ones. I'm sure they do the job, but would spending a little more be worth it?

Thomann & MusicStore seem to carry mostly Klotz, Cordial, Monster & Planet Waves (for pretty hefty prices), along with the cheap & cheerful own-brand stuff.

If the connectors in the PW DIY kit weren't so fat, I'd consider those, but even before I have my new board & some pedals, I think I want slimmer/neater connectors.

I have Klotz TM Stevens instrument cables, but TBH, they fail way too easy, so I don't want those.

I like the look of some of Ibanez's patch cables (not an obvious player in the cable market?) - have any of you guys come across them anywhere online? No local dealers carry them.

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html[/url]

Thanks,

Mark

have you considered making your own? Ive made some pretty killer patch cables for an ok price. You can get the parts pretty easy on ebay and make them all to your spec.

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='772968' date='Mar 12 2010, 05:11 PM']Hi,

I guess the most common cables I see on guy's FX boards are those 6-in-a-pack multi-coloured ones. I'm sure they do the job, but would spending a little more be worth it?

Thomann & MusicStore seem to carry mostly Klotz, Cordial, Monster & Planet Waves (for pretty hefty prices), along with the cheap & cheerful own-brand stuff.

If the connectors in the PW DIY kit weren't so fat, I'd consider those, but even before I have my new board & some pedals, I think I want slimmer/neater connectors.

I have Klotz TM Stevens instrument cables, but TBH, they fail way too easy, so I don't want those.

I like the look of some of Ibanez's patch cables (not an obvious player in the cable market?) - have any of you guys come across them anywhere online? No local dealers carry them.

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_uk.html[/url]

Thanks,

Mark[/quote]

I've got a bunch of George L's but that's mostly because I've got a Boss LS-2 and the jacks on that make routing all the cables a pain with normal plugs. Get cheap patch cables if they'll work for you - if you've got your pedals set up on a board then it's not like you'll be plugging/unplugging them often, they should be reliable enough.

I'm getting rid of all my Geoge L's like 24 jacks and loads of canere cabling in the misc for sale section.

These are the best if you have a big board that might have an odd signal chain as you wanted to fit as many effects on the board as possible.

I've reduced to a few fx now so getting some fixed cabling from OBBM, but like I say only do this if you don't plan on changing your board much, else George L's or another brand of solderless make them yourself cables are the best way.

[quote name='throwoff' post='776990' date='Mar 17 2010, 08:54 AM']All my cabling is Warwick RockCable.

It's never done me wrong and the patches are great quality.
Plus for the price its easy to buy a few spares.[/quote]

+1

I'm using Warwick patch cables, basically Neutrik copies. Very good quality and silly cheap

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='776996' date='Mar 17 2010, 09:57 AM']+1

I'm using Warwick patch cables, basically Neutrik copies. Very good quality and silly cheap[/quote]

Yeh they are great for the money and tonewise easilly cut it, admitedly im using wireless so im losing something anyway.