Why become a member? ×

TF Fretless Fender Precision

Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='773869' date='Mar 13 2010, 09:50 PM']I think its just that the TF ticks all the boxes, and despite the fact I could get one made, Id probably not have the good resale value the TF seems to hold. I am unfortunately a Fender fanboy haha.
The finish is nitro I do believe, and the spec is different from the standards, plus it has that lovely ebony board. This is what attracts me.
The overall look of the instrument is great. How does the nitro wear?
The J pup sounds massive on your vids and the TF demo vids. I know the selector is a bit odd, but the tone is bloomin spot on.

Basically, I want to be able to have a Precision/Ebony fretless, but with the nice j pickup....so I think this might be a good choice.[/quote]
Yeah you're probably right about resale values etc. although it's all relative so you usually won't lose as much in real cash terms if you didn't pay as much in the first place. But having a real US Fender does make a big difference to some people, and if it fits your brief then go for it. A cellulose finish generally mellows with age rather than looking 'beaten up' like the thicker, modern finishes tend to. It's thinner and more easily scratched/worn though.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='774278' date='Mar 14 2010, 01:32 PM']Thanks :)[/quote]
Ahh, now relaxing after a long day of jobs that had to be done...

Well, having read the thread again I'm not really sure what you are asking :rolleyes:

Personally I love my TF, the ebony board is perfect allowing me to use rounds without any worries (plus I like the sound). The fit and finish is good, but I think like a lot of Fenders these days that can vary anyway but I seem to have a good one. I actually like the selector switch for its simplicity, my favourite by far is the P/J setting, otherwise its usually P, rarely just the J.

A couple of times now I've come close to selling it but changed my mind. I'm very glad about that, as I'm sure I would be missing it already.

I think the only factor to be really sure of is - do you want a fretless? will you gig it and use it? if it becomes a bedroom only toy you might well be selling it on in a month or 2 as its not getting used. I've tried to use mine a lot more live lately which has presented the odd problem (like being in the dark and not able to see anything!)

Basically if you like P's, like Fenders, and want a fretless - get a TF :lol:

J

[quote name='Legion' post='774634' date='Mar 14 2010, 08:13 PM']Ahh, now relaxing after a long day of jobs that had to be done...

Well, having read the thread again I'm not really sure what you are asking :)

Personally I love my TF, the ebony board is perfect allowing me to use rounds without any worries (plus I like the sound). The fit and finish is good, but I think like a lot of Fenders these days that can vary anyway but I seem to have a good one. I actually like the selector switch for its simplicity, my favourite by far is the P/J setting, otherwise its usually P, rarely just the J.

A couple of times now I've come close to selling it but changed my mind. I'm very glad about that, as I'm sure I would be missing it already.

[b]I think the only factor to be really sure of is - do you want a fretless? will you gig it and use it? if it becomes a bedroom only toy you might well be selling it on in a month or 2 as its not getting used. [/b]I've tried to use mine a lot more live lately which has presented the odd problem (like being in the dark and not able to see anything!)

Basically if you like P's, like Fenders, and want a fretless - get a TF :rolleyes:

J[/quote]
+1 on all of this (excluding the bit about rounds and including the bit about the dark).

... and the part I've highlighted I agree with strongly. I'm gigging my TF more than any of my others basses at the moment but if that band were to fold and I was playing more material that wanted a fretted, then I would be wondering what such an expensive bass was doing only being noodled on when I was gassing for something else. However, at the moment, I can't conceive of ever selling it.

I think my moto with purchases is basically if I want a bass that Im not used to (5 sting, or fretless for example) id rather not go 'halfway' and buy a cheaper model to what Im ultimately after. In the end I just lose time and money upgrading. Ive learnt from this in the past.

Basses to me arent just for gigging...I really enjoy owning them even if I just record and play them at home, although my new function band will definitely bring me better and more professional gig sitiuations. Id like to be able to play most types of bass so I can cover more and more requirements and never feel 'restricted'.

Thanks for all the views, I think this might be the fretless for me!

[quote name='bass5' post='780991' date='Mar 20 2010, 06:06 PM']Forgive my ignorance on the matter but what does TF means in TF Fretless Fender Precision?

I know it must be something very silly I just can't place what TF is short for...

muchas...[/quote]
Tony Franklin ...

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190085800"]http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190085800[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Musicman20' post='780902' date='Mar 20 2010, 04:33 PM']Can I just confirm these are Nitro? How does the finish last with a few plays a week or so?[/quote]
Spec says that it's nitro.

Mine is holding up fine so far after about twenty gigs and probably twice as many rehearsals in about 12 months. No marks or wear at all really and I am at least the third owner - serial number date is 2006.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='780902' date='Mar 20 2010, 05:33 PM']Can I just confirm these are Nitro? How does the finish last with a few plays a week or so?[/quote]
+1 on EssentialTension's post - There's a huge amount of bullsh#t regards NITROcellulose, POLYester, POLYurethane etc. My 20 or more years Precision is cellulose finished and still looks good despite being my everyday (money making) bass for at least half of that. If the bass suits you then don't worry about the finish! All I'd say is if you're going to spend 1,300 quid, take a look at the other options first. You could put together a similar spec bass for half that (I'll build you one for 1,200! :) ), but at the end of the day, it won't have "Fender, Made In the good 'ol USofA" written on it.