Why become a member? ×

Fretless fears subsided

niceguyhomer

I bought a Gary Willis fretless just a week ago and used it for the first time yesterday with the band at rehearsal. I was quaking a bit TBH - we have a top class violinist in our band and he'd been ribbing me a bit about it but I was surprised how I got on with it with very few cock-ups.

The band loved the sound with a bit of chorus in there, dunno why I was so nervous about fretless in the past, I had a lot of fun with it and it brought a new dimension to the band's sound.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='774970' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:50 AM']I actually look at my fretless far less than I do on my ftretted.You just have to learn to trust your ears.

G.[/quote]

+1, odd but true, I look when i play fretted and listen when I play fretless. The thing with fretless is that if you cock up you can slide into the note without the obvious semitone pitch change, it's not the all-or-nothing intonation of fretted.

When I play gigs fretless I always have a far better idea of who's in the crowd!

C

[quote name='Bilbo' post='774948' date='Mar 15 2010, 09:19 AM']Don't let violinists rib you abot intonation, ngh. They have no right to point that particular finger. :)

Definition of a minor ninth? A violin and fretless bass playing unison lines!!![/quote]
:rolleyes: