Why become a member? ×

vox standard build (the green machine)

LukeFRC

actually on my Warmoth the body came with the bridge holes pre-drilled-
but the body wood was so tough, and the screws supplied with the Badass so soft that 2 of them sheared off (one came out with pliers, the other I had to drill out), with not that much force applied- I then sourced decent screws which went in okay.

Edited by SJA

yeah i just layed the first layer of varnish on her today. Then sprayed green, then more varnish sprayed on.
Also just ripped the frets out the neck and took the edge off the fingerboard.

Its an unbranded pup i bought off someone on here. Sounded ok when i wired it starght in

• 2 weeks later...

So here we go

A LIST OF MISTAKES

body stripped and sanded down. I then started to spray on polyurethane varnish. Except As the wood wasn't sealed or anything it was taking a lot of varnish for very little effect. Then I spied the nice tin of ronseal diamond hard varnish i had and started slapping that on.At this point i learned two things. One painting the bottom will cause drips to form on the front.
And two it does do exactly what it says on the tin and is almost impossible to sand back!
So the front finish isnt perfect as has the remains of these drips on it.
Then sprayed with good acrylic spray paint. It's water bassed paint intended for graphiti artists. Bassed on car paints its pretty good stuff (and super cheap)
One can worth has gone on, ive sanded it back a wee bit and another canwill go on before gloss varnish is sprayed on.
At the moment i am spraying it hung on our washing line and have to dodge rainshowers!
You can see the finish isnt perfect!

the neck was defretted and the gaps filled. Dark wood on all frets and light maple type wood on 5th 12th and 17th.
washed with white spirit and then coated with the ronseal. All went wrong as i forgot about the radius and it all bunched up at the edges but sanding while not dry and magic remedied that. Again not flawless finsih but pretty good. The ronseal stuff doesnt sand back well but you can get a pretty good gloss if you leave it to dry itself. Needs a bit of a polish but im worried about taking the gloss shine off.
Looks the dogs testes

more paint and varnish and making a scratchplate is next

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='mathewsanchez' post='286138' date='Sep 17 2008, 06:45 PM']Yeah, the grain of the fingerboard looks amazing. And the dark and light wood to fill the fret gaps is pretty sweet too. Ok, the finish isn't perfect, but as a whole it's coming along quite nicely.[/quote]

+1 that neck is really nice

• 2 weeks later...

well ive been busy with other things but getting back to this.

I have a mm pup with 4 wires coming out.
I have a wee 3 way toggle switch with six contacts out the bottom and it is On On On. The middle contack on wone side possibly labled E
Series/paralell wiring help anyone?

EDIT Im looking at [url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/basslines/501040-110.pdf"]this[/url] and wondering if my switch is comparable to the blade one

Edited by LukeFRC

well was silly and got newspaper stuck to the varnish, took most of it off andthen thought it dinnae matter, can just respray. paint on varnish means crazing.
so sand it down and re spray paint. All ok. Then like a numpty dont let the pait fullydry before putting varnsish back on. meaning i get this lovely mottled effect. sand it back and repaint now. Fed up of painting the bugger, should have just left it black.

any one with advice on switch would be me friend! :)