Why become a member? ×

Celinder Custom 6

eubassix

From a(nother) recent trade deal:-
Rare Celinder Custom 6 (Denmark).
Mahogany Body
Koa Top w/matching Headstock veneer, rear and trussrod covers.
Maple + Purpleheart Neck with Ebony Board
36" scale (but very comfortable - also contributes to the crisp, clean tone and well-defined 'B'. I haven't noticed the stretch much, and the fundamentals of the E and B string are great. Tone is described as a previous owner as 'somewhere between and Smith and an Alembic' .. which can't be bad)
Nut: 2.125"; f24: 3.25" String-spacings: 9mm (nut); 16.5mm (f24); 19mm (bridge). Weighs 11lbs.
Glockenklang 3 band preamp (The original Greengrove preamp was, apparently, damaged and replaced with Aguilar, then later by the current GlockenKlang). The G-Klang Circuit diagram is included: it's one aspect of the bass which, IMHO, could be improved. There is Vol., Pan, Mid(s) and stacked Bass/Treble .. But the circuit doesn't work as clearly as I would have expected [been playing it with Bass on max, a little treble and about 55% Mids - the mid section is very powerful. Finding that with the SC's switched-in the volume is quieter in the centre position, like the old SC circuits; with HB's switched-in, the volume is quietest in the centre and gradually boosts when a single pickup is selected]
Celinder (Kent Armstrong) radiused dual coil pickups (coil tap with small Fodera coil tap switch)
Black hardware.
Near mint (a small nick at the headstock and upper horn) / all original other than the EQ and Bridge (original included)
Excellent build quality (as always), exceptional playability and a pretty rare find - there don't seem to be many Celinder 6's about ... (although I did find one here on BC:-)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19741&hl=celinder"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=celinder[/url]
This is not the Aura model; it is a Custom 6.
TKL hardcase.
I'm not a 6-string player and don't have the time to dedicate in progressing with this bass, so keep a look-out for this in the Classifieds section (!!). I have managed to take a lot of photos, including the GKlang Circuit (diagram + actual internal workings)

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='776488' date='Mar 16 2010, 05:57 PM']Looks quite Overwater-like. Which is no bad thing.

It is quite beautiful. Me likes :)[/quote]

Thanks! ... I think some of the newer OW's do have a similar body-shape (?) as do a few other makes, including the old PV Rudy Sarzo / BB / TL models, with the slim, extended upper-horn: reminds me of the Alembic ROGUE (.. don't see many of those about!...) body; but the headstock is quite unique (?).....

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='776524' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:21 PM']Chris told me he designed these basses because he liked Ken Smith's instruments.[/quote]

Ahhh .. so, it's like one of the Ken Smith models (?) .. I thought these were more symmetrical in terms of the body shape, although the smooth lines and laminate construction is like the Smith(s).

Re. the Rogue (Alembic) - I had to check the site as I couldn't recall the model/name: so, out of interest, checked the price of a Rogue 6 with Koa top etc. and case (although, of course, the Alembc is a NT not b/o bass) .... comes to $US$10950 (about £7000) !!! ... do they sell their basses at these prices, or is there a massive discount within the USA ?!!

Edited by eubassix

[quote name='eubassix' post='776563' date='Mar 16 2010, 06:42 PM']... do they sell their basses at these prices, or is there a massive discount within the USA ?!![/quote]
There's a massive dealer discount - often around 30%. Alembics are still very expensive basses (moreso in Europe with VAT and duty)!

I have an Alembic and a Celinder - there's very little in it in terms of quality of work - both instruments/builders are absolutely stellar. The Celinder is a more 'simple' construction (and has less sophisticated electronics), however, fit, finish, playability and attention to detail are, IMO, very similar across Celinders and Alembics. That said, Chris' basses certainly aren't cheap - as far as I can ascertain, a new update/vintage (P or J) is going to cost well over €4k - and there's no dealer discount (and frequently a bit of hassle in securing the instrument in a reasonable timeframe...if customer reports are to be believed).

• 3 weeks later...