Why become a member? ×

Anyone Using A Wah AND An Auto-Wah In Their FX Set-Up?

Phaedrus

Rather than using both together, I'm wondering if an auto-wah can do almost what a wah can do?

For You Oughta Know, I'd like to use an auto wah to accent those little fills & burps, and of course, that big slap, but for Cochise, I'd like to use the wah.

Could an auto-wah give me the type and amount of wah I'd need for Cochise (as an example)?

Mark

I don't think an Auto-Wah can pull off Cochise to be honest. I have the Subdecay Prometheus AND an MSD Earthquake Wah on my board for this very reason. The Cochise riff isn't just a straight forward Auto-Wah on a cycle, IMO you need the Manual to get the expression and phrasing of the Wah just right.

Cheers

[quote name='Higgie' post='781327' date='Mar 21 2010, 02:07 AM']I don't think an Auto-Wah can pull off Cochise to be honest. I have the Subdecay Prometheus AND an MSD Earthquake Wah on my board for this very reason. The Cochise riff isn't just a straight forward Auto-Wah on a cycle, IMO you need the Manual to get the expression and phrasing of the Wah just right.

Cheers[/quote]

Thats why I use both, I mostly use the GR (auto-wah) with fuzz and oc-2 for synthmania, I use the auto-wah when I want an auto-wah, i.e. when I want a filter sounds but it doesn't need to be controlled, I use the wha when I need to control it. Cochise is a good example, as the timing of the filter is a key aspect of the song (calm like a bomb is the best example methinks). I can pull of a decent calm like a bomb with the wha and groove regulator, both to give it an extra thick OTT sound (Tim Commerford uses 2 105q's at the same time), and the wha so I can time the filter sound properly.