Why become a member? ×

The Real Book is now available for the iPhone/iPod

derrenleepoole

Don't know if this has been covered, but there is now a [url="http://irealbook.net/iReal_Book/Home/Home.html"]Real Book[/url] available on the iPod etc. It's chord charts only, but you can transpose them to any key and even download new charts from the user forum. Priced at 5 quid it's a steal and has been really useful for me... check it out :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='784909' date='Mar 24 2010, 05:24 PM']I was thinking about this the other day...... this would be kool on the new ipad..... saves carrying loads of sheet music around with you.[/quote]

That would be cool... and when you've got a break in a song or set you can check BC or Facebook :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='784909' date='Mar 24 2010, 05:24 PM']I was thinking about this the other day...... this would be kool on the new ipad..... saves carrying loads of sheet music around with you.[/quote]
Have you seen these?

[url="http://corporate.freehandmusic.com/products-musicpadpro.php"]http://corporate.freehandmusic.com/products-musicpadpro.php[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

I was playing a pick up gig last night. Bass and Piano behind a girl singer, plus her hubby a pro trumpet player, in an Oxford pub. Most of ther stuff was 'the usual' but trumpet wanted to feature on a couple of tunes that I don't usually play. So he handed me his iphone loaded with the chords. It was so easy to use and easy to read on my music stand.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='798486' date='Apr 7 2010, 10:47 AM']With my eyesight? Better off putting the £5 towards a new pair of specs![/quote]

My eyesight is not too good but with my 'computer specs' I had no difficulty. I was pleasantly surprised. The app is also good for settling band room arguments -as I found out last Saturday. Guitarists really are a bunch of trainspotters when it comes to chords.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='784888' date='Mar 24 2010, 05:57 PM']It is rather good, and while the screen is small for some chord charts, it's usability and ease of use make it an essential tool for the gigging musician. Perhaps there should be a sticky for really useful apps, this being one of them?[/quote]

The Peterson iPhone app is awesome - [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=150&page=1"]iStroboSoft[/url] - turns your iPhone into a Peterson strobe tuner. I love it.
:)

It's an electronic real/fake book, just with chord charts though. Most official fake books don't have the melodies for copyright reasons and this is the same. Each chart can be transposed to any key too making it more useful than a paper version. You can search by title, composer, genre etc. There's also a user forum were users can add their own charts and you can download more that aren't featured in the original app. A very useful tool for the gigging bassist when knowing the melody isn't important.

Edited by derrenleepoole

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='800212' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:56 PM']It's an electronic real/fake book, just with chord charts though. Most official fake books don't have the melodies for copyright reasons and this is the same. Each chart can be transposed to any key too making it more useful than a paper version. You can search by title, composer, genre etc. There's also a user forum were users can add their own charts and you can download more that aren't featured in the original app. A very useful tool for the gigging bassist when knowing the melody isn't important.[/quote]

ah right,, i just read the website again there....it does seem awesome,,,apart from none of the songs on it are on my setlist haha

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='800216' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:58 PM']ah right,, i just read the website again there....it does seem awesome,,,apart from none of the songs on it are on my setlist haha[/quote]

Well, that would help I guess :) Have a look on the forum, some of them might be featured for download. Or, do your own and add them to the app yourself!

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='800205' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:52 PM']so what does this do exactly,,,,does it have the chord structure of songs in it or is it a programme for ou to do it yourself?[/quote]

It's basically about 900 chord charts taken from the real books. There are no melodies written,but as a bass player you'll mostly be walking over the changes anyway,so the charts are really useful. It also allows you to transpose them into other keys.
I think there is a function to write your own charts,but I've not looked into it.

It's a really useful app,and is so much easier to carry around than a massive great stack of books.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='800216' date='Apr 8 2010, 08:58 PM']ah right,, i just read the website again there....it does seem awesome,,,apart from none of the songs on it are on my setlist haha[/quote]

So you're not a jazzer then? :)

Yes this is mainly for jazzers, I suppose. In all the freelance work I do most of the time I am 'busking'. But as a backup I carry a fat ring binder stuffed with charts extracted from eight Real/Fake books. Most of the time I can rely on my ear or memory to get through a tune without having recourse to the dots but sometimes someone will call a tune that isn't in the book at all, or wants to play in a different key from the 'written' one - often the singer to suit his/her range. In such a circumstance an iPod would be very useful. Mostly I work without a set list and the numbers are called on the fly so the iPod would need to be a nifty thing to get the numbers up between tunes especially if a transposition is called for.

[quote name='bassace' post='800900' date='Apr 9 2010, 02:33 PM']Yes this is mainly for jazzers, I suppose. In all the freelance work I do most of the time I am 'busking'. But as a backup I carry a fat ring binder stuffed with charts extracted from eight Real/Fake books. Most of the time I can rely on my ear or memory to get through a tune without having recourse to the dots but sometimes someone will call a tune that isn't in the book at all, or wants to play in a different key from the 'written' one - often the singer to suit his/her range. In such a circumstance an iPod would be very useful. Mostly I work without a set list and the numbers are called on the fly so the iPod would need to be a nifty thing to get the numbers up between tunes especially if a transposition is called for.[/quote]

You can create your own setlists within the app... so creating an order for each gig etc, with all the appropriate transpositions saved. Also, the app seems to override any sleep functions you have set on the iPod, so won't switch off part way through a tune :)