Why become a member? ×

The Silverdogs

witterth

Ive followed our own niceguyhomer on his band (the silverdogs) after originally following his "audition" thread and then him getting the gig....

well.. I followed the myspace link and listened to the material there and have to say, I for one have become a Fan and would reccomend a few more BCers give it a listen.

Its essentially "folky" type of music but with the twist of a sh*t hot drummer, a fiddle player who is inventive and avoids the (obvious jigs/reels route) to be exciting,an equally inventive/ talented piano player who can really play keyboards, if you understand the distinction(?) a lady singer who is REALLY Superb (not to mention a guy who can hack vox too) a guitar player who reminds me (at least) of both Alan(s) Holdsworth&(late lamented) Murphy....enough said. last and most definetley not least our own homer who plays some lovely, perfectly stated, thought out, tight,and intelligent bass...lovely sound to boot ,all Great musicians. and slick/polished recording

I know this all sounds a bit "gushing" or, like something from a cheap press release, but its really a genuine opinion from me (nowt to do with the band) who is basically a bit of a fan....(odd to be a fan of anything other than sanatogen & coronation street at my age!!)

I know "folk" isnt the cup of tea for all BCers and I like ALL sorts of stuff myself,but I dont think any one, what ever you're into, can deny this is well done and gets in my book the ultimate endorsement that can be applied to ANY sort of playing that good - "Pro"

as I say Im a "fan"...
but more power to 'em

Hope you dont mind my "public" comments Homer
ATB
W

Edited by witterth

Many thanks for your kind comments John - hope you're enjoying the CDs. The band's been described - amongst other things as "Pink Floyd meets Fairport Convention" - whatever pigeon hole people want to put us in, I've really landed on my feet with this band. TBH I wasn't really into folk/rock before I joined them but now I'm really into it and it's a joy to play with musicians of this calibre - dunno WTF I'm doing there but they seem to like what I do.

BTW - the violinist is Richard Curran, he's an amazing musician and he's played for some big names. He's also done work for the BBC and played at Wembley / V Festival etc. He's a nice bloke too - if I was that good, I'd be a right tw*t :)

I think the present fiddle player Richard was the original and he was replaced by The Mad Fiddler when he moved on to other things. When the band reformed last September, they asked Richard to come back and I'm really happy he did. Listening to him warm up on the violin before a gig brings tears to your eyes, he's also a great Mandolin player.

The mad fiddler as in Mark Knight?

If so, it's a small world, I played a gig with him in January. Can't remember the name of his band now, but they were damn good.

I'd also echo the sentiments about not really being into folk rock then joining a folk rock band and loving it! (though JWP is far more rocky than Homer's now).

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='789234' date='Mar 29 2010, 10:59 AM']Many thanks for your kind comments John - hope you're enjoying the CDs. The band's been described - amongst other things as "Pink Floyd meets Fairport Convention" - whatever pigeon hole people want to put us in, I've really landed on my feet with this band. TBH I wasn't really into folk/rock before I joined them but now I'm really into it and it's a joy to play with musicians of this calibre - dunno WTF I'm doing there but they seem to like what I do.

BTW - the violinist is Richard Curran, he's an amazing musician and he's played for some big names. He's also done work for the BBC and played at Wembley / V Festival etc. He's a nice bloke too - if I was that good, I'd be a right tw*t :)[/quote]
Put in some extra shifts at work this week so just catching up!!
loving the cds NGH, really liking it....bass playing gig thats really up my street.I'm jealous in all honesty!!
hope to come and see you live soon.
keep letting us all know when and where, as my saturdays are taken up with a bit of playing again ( at last!!) but would hate to miss and would love to come down to see it for real
top turn
witterth
Ps did you ask about those players I mentioned in pm BTW?