Why become a member? ×

Dave Marks MusicMan Masterclass in Essex

Davemarks

Hey guys - just posting a quick note about a masterclass that I'll be doing over in Colchester.

Thursday 15th April, in association with MusicManUK, I'll be hitting the Bass Merchant, Colchester to deliver a masterclass. (Time TBC)

The Bass Merchant,
Unit D1 Colchester Seedbed Centre,
Wyncolls Road,
Severalls Ind.Est,
Colchester,
Essex, UK,
CO4 9HT
Tel: 01206 751173

[url="http://www.bassmerchant.com"]http://www.bassmerchant.com[/url]

My masterclass will focus primarily on time, rhythm and feel, but I'm gonna leave it open to lots of Q & A, so if people want advice on something specific, they need just pipe up and steer things to the topic of their choice. :-)

I'll be asking people to jump and play things for / with me, so don't be totally suprised if you find yourself grooving on my Stingray.....

d

[url="http://www.davemarks.com"]http://www.davemarks.com[/url]

Edited by Davemarks

It will start at 7pm and go on until 9pm. There will be a large selection of Musicman basses there for you to have a play on.

Entry is free, but spaces are limited, so you need to call the Bass Merchant to reserve a seat!

Tel: 01206 751173

Here's the press for the event:

Musicman UK presents an exclusive Masterclass with Irish Bass extrordinaire Dave Marks.
Dave's playing credits include guitar Gods Larry Carlton, Albert Lee & Matthais Eklund, ex-Squeeze vocalists Paul Carrack and Chris Diffford, D:Ream, Gareth Gates, prog rock drum legend Carl Palmer (ELP), Saintsaviour (Groove Armada vocalist) and many more....

Dave is one of the UK's foremost players and educators, writing a very popular column in Bass Guitar Magazine and having taught at the London ICMP for the last 9 years.

He keeps a solid web presence with music and educational material on his own website and his Youtube channel has had nearly 2 1/2 million views!

His masterclass will focus on time, groove and note choice, but he'll be taking questions throughout, so feel free to come along and steer him into topics you want covered!

Also, don't be suprised if you find yourself onstage with him, playing some grooves on a delicious Musicman bass....

[quote name='Faithless' post='794654' date='Apr 2 2010, 09:26 PM']Hey, Dave,

I doubt, that I'll make masterclass, obviously.. :) but, I'm just curious - does it mean, that you're now 'oficially' playing MusicMan's, not Sei's anymore (as your main basses)?[/quote]

It depends on the gig... if the musicman is a good choice, i'll play it. If the gig is like a heavy jazz or fusion gig, the Seis come out.

I still use my Marcus Fender Jazz and my P bass...

I let the music decide for me.

It doesn't benefit anyone if I play at a gig or in a session with a bass that has the wrong sound for what I need to deliver :-)

d

I'll get around the country with Musicman in the rest of 2010. Just got details finalised for a masterclass in Poole, so dates up north should hopefully follow.

Re: Getting new basses.... it's hard to say - it depends what you already have, and what sort of stuff you want to play.....

I'll take a look at those models when I do the masterclass and might be able to give you a better idea....

d

• 2 weeks later...

Great. Dave fantastic as always (well, I've seen him twice, so 100% so far) - he gave me some really interesting things to think about and work on. I got shedding as soon as I got home.

Had loads of questions but mainly relatively obscure jazz/improv stuff and didn't want to alienate everyone else who was there!