Why become a member? ×

1977/78 Fender Musicmaster SOLD

I've now sold this bass. Little bit sad about it, really, but it has gone to a good owner and helps me fund my daughter's saxophone. Thanks all.

Hello,

I came across this forum while looking up background info on my Fender Musicmaster, which I’m looking to sell. I hope it’s okay to offer it here as it would be nice if it could go to someone who would take good care of it.

I checked the year on the Guitar Dating site and it was built at Fullerton, CA, apparently. I bought it new from Tempo in Ealing, which I don’t think exists anymore (slightly depressing to see it described as “vintage”… what does that make me?). I’m a guitarist and have used it pretty sparingly, mostly for home use. It’s in pretty good condition for its age and plays nicely, I think, although I’m not a great bassist.

Everything is original, the only thing missing is the thumb rest. It has a 30” bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. No case. There are some light marks here and there but nothing too terrible. There are also a couple of tiny chips on the back but relatively minor.

I’ve done a fair bit of reading on it, including all the threads on basschat, and have seen Musicmasters described as “pigs” or “beauties”. Prices seem to vary wildly, anywhere from sweet FA up to a jaw-dropping £975 in one Denmark Street shop. I’m looking for £450 (plus P&P or buyer collects), which I hope is reasonable middle ground.

Hope that’s okay. I live in Hornchurch, Essex.

thanks (I hope I've done the pics right)

Edited by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond

That might be my dodgy photography. The strings are old and will need replacing, but they aren't the originals. I did try some flats, but didn't like them so put roundwounds on, I don't remember for sure but I think they are Rotosounds (whatever they are, unless anyone's keen on antique strings, they will need replacing).

RIP Malcolm McLaren, by the way. Punk was what got me into playing and this was from the era. Bit of a sad night, really.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond' post='813554' date='Apr 21 2010, 10:57 AM']Final bump for this. I had someone looking but it's still available if anyone is interested.

I'm not going to fuss with going through eBay. I'm quite happy just to keep it - it has sentimental value to me as I've had it since I was 18 - but I'd be equally happy if it went to someone who was going to play it.[/quote]

Hello Sir Sid

Have you still got this bass by any chance?

Wow! My first ever bass was one of these. Nice to play but very neck-heavy. Also, it had a chrome finish soap-bar pup rather than the one this bass has.... Sorry to reminisce!

I had no idea they were worth this much! Wish I'd kept mine now...