Why become a member? ×

NS upright magnetic pickups

dub

Hi there
I was wondering if anyone could describe the tone of the NS upright magnetic pickups.
I've installed a magnetic pickup on my own EUB which compared to the piezo has stronger mid frequencies which combine well with the piezo.
I wondering how the NS EMGs might work as pickups for a bass guitar.

[quote name='dub' post='799562' date='Apr 8 2010, 10:13 AM']Hi there
I was wondering if anyone could describe the tone of the NS upright magnetic pickups.
I've installed a magnetic pickup on my own EUB which compared to the piezo has stronger mid frequencies which combine well with the piezo.
I wondering how the NS EMGs might work as pickups for a bass guitar.[/quote]

The sound from the NS EMG's is quite similar to what you're describing with your own pickup and is a nice strong level tone. You do tend to get a bit too much sustain though, especially with the stock NS strings. Whether this is down to the bass materials or the EMG's I don't really know. I tend not to use the EMG's too much on my CR4M though, favouring the polar piezo.

Can't really imagine these going on a bass guitar. When you look inside the NS, the EMG's are quite deep, maybe about 5 or 6 cms. Still, maybe it could be done by someone who really knew what they were doing. Wouldn't it be easier to just put in bass guitar specific EMG's?

[quote name='BassBus' post='800767' date='Apr 9 2010, 12:39 PM']Like Bobby K I don't use the mags too much but they can add a bit more depth to the sound of the bridge pickup. On their own the mags sound not unlike a fretless Jazz with the bias towards the bridge pickup.[/quote]

Agreed Bassbus.

In hindsight though, if I were to go back, I'd probably buy the CR4 instead (without the EMG's).

Could've saved myself some money on an already extremely expensive bass :)