Why become a member? ×

Studio or Live album's??

bubinga5

[quote name='JTUK' post='802069' date='Apr 10 2010, 07:54 PM']hmm... live against studio..??

I wonder how many tracks on people's websites here are live... ? and if not, why not..????
You are selling live gigs mostly..no..?????

We have a live edit...but had to run it through an editing suite to EQ the vocals better as we put a Zoom box at the side of the stage as an afterthought and that wasn't the best place for the vox...as it turned out

so I wouldn't complain if there was some post production on a live album as long as they didn't fix the playing..[/quote]

I couldn't agree more... I always try to post live tracks on the websites for my bands where I can. I think for cover acts this should be the law! Too many rubbish bands faking there way into gigs these days :0)

I think some bands are great live and not so good in the studio and vice versa.

Examples are Cheap Trick at Budokan, a great live album but their studio stuff is nowhere near as good.

Fairport Convention's Leige and Lief, Full House and Unhalfbricking are all great albums, but Fairport Live Convention and Farewell Farewell are dire by comparison.

Wilko Johnsons solid senders first album is rubbish, but the free bonus live album that came with it is brilliant!

Live if possible. But the music I listen to most is rarely performed live.

However I have about 80 concert DVDs in my collection of other genres. No metal, country or opera but have pretty much everything else from Avril Lavigne through to Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea. :)

I often find the kind of bands that i would listen too dont play wembley that often and as such any live recordings they do seem a bit shoddy quility wise. I sometimes (shamefully) find myself listening to the music on the quility of the recording alone so it rules out quite a lot of live stuff.

I like a mix, although some artists are particularly worth finding live recordings of because you'll hear extended solos etc that just use the studio version as a starting point. Other bands only seem to reproduce what they did in the studio as near note-for-note as they can.

But as has suggested, some live recordings get all the life sucked out in protools etc. Very disappointing when that happens. I was given Paul Baloche's latest CD at Christmas and all the live tracks are as lifeless as the studio versions.

[quote name='gary mac' post='802116' date='Apr 10 2010, 08:49 PM']The only live album I regularly listen to (to my wifes horror), is Humble Pie at the Filmore East.[/quote]

+1 for that one. Brilliantly atmospheric.

But bands can vary from performance to performance, can't they? Taking Deep Purple as an example 'Made In Japan' is, for my taste, just about the perfect live album. But if you listened to any of the other live performances from that era you'd get a pretty mixed bag. But the sound (and arrangements) on Made In Japan are, for me, way better than the studio sound on Machine Head in particular.

Ditto Wishbone Ash - studio stuff sounds a little weak and wishy washy, 'Live Dates' is up there with the best - powerful and melodic (that reminds me - add Ted Turner's guitar solo in 'The King Will Come' to best guitar solo thread - that wahwah!!).

[quote name='Doddy' post='801444' date='Apr 10 2010, 01:37 AM']Donny Hathaway's 'These Songs for You' is a great album,but check out
the album 'Donny Hathaway Live'. It's a masterclass in groove from start
to finish,culminating in one of the best Bass solos ever put on record,courtesy
of Willie Weeks.[/quote]
+infinity...
It is the archetype of groove, it has real freedom and musicality, with effortless style encompassing jazz and early soul vibes. A masterpiece!