Why become a member? ×

64 bit OS with Cubase SX3... Any Point?

cheddatom

I've just got my hands on a nice PC. It's of considerably better specification than my current recording rig. I have XP on it at the moment, but as it has a 64bit CPU i'm considering installing XP64 or Win7 (I have both).

Will I see any improvement in Cubase SX3? Or is there a new 64bit version of Cubase which I need?

Unless it says it supports 64 bit then you'll have to get the new one. As for the operating systems, you're better off getting Windows 7 EH has WXP64 and the only reason i've not put windows 7 on it yet is b/c i need to get a hard disk to back up my stuff onto first. It's supposed to be even faster than XP so it's worth getting. Unforturnately, i don't find myself using cakewalk 64 that much because i haven't noticed any huge performance benifits and the trouble is that it doesn't work with most VST effects. I have both installed though and i use the 32 bit version when i need the effects like amp simulation and the 64 bit version when i don't.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='cheddatom' post='804746' date='Apr 13 2010, 12:11 PM']I've just got my hands on a nice PC. It's of considerably better specification than my current recording rig. I have XP on it at the moment, but as it has a 64bit CPU i'm considering installing XP64 or Win7 (I have both).

Will I see any improvement in Cubase SX3? Or is there a new 64bit version of Cubase which I need?[/quote]

I'm running Nuendo 4 32bit under 64bit OS[W7]. Works like a charm.
My improvement over XP P4 xenon is quite drastic.
Cubase 5 x64 on a 64 machine is not quite happening yet although it is getting there,
you have to use J Bridge to make 32 bit plugs work in Cubase 5 64, and some wont work at all.
Cubase will only access 4Gb of RAM.
Most DAWs aren't up to the task of 64bit at the moment, except maybe Sonar 8.5.
Infact Sonar 8.5 x64 does good on that front from what i have read.
Still have to use J- bridge or bit-bridge for the 32 bit plugs though [ or some at least]

So it is worth Installing x64 W7, nothing to lose.And it is already there for when things get a bit better from Cubase,
which they are working on all the time.

Garry

So by putting a 64bit OS on, I can still run SX3 and all my plug ins, and Cubase will be able to use all 4Gb of RAM as opposed to 3 in XP32 (right?).

Why would I go with win7 over XP64? This is purely for recording, it will never be plugged into the net.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='804834' date='Apr 13 2010, 01:16 PM']So by putting a 64bit OS on, I can still run SX3 and all my plug ins, and Cubase will be able to use all 4Gb of RAM as opposed to 3 in XP32 (right?).

Why would I go with win7 over XP64? This is purely for recording, it will never be plugged into the net.[/quote]

I've already said this but believe it or not, windows 7 in bench tests is actually marginally quicker than XP and on cakewalk a tester managed to get his latency down from 7 milliseconds on XP to 2.5 on windows 7 iirc. Vista was like 22 or something lolz. So there is a performance advantage and considering the extra cost of windows 7 home premium is marginal compared to windows XP i would say it was worth it. Don't bother getting the professional version. I remember them saying on a PC forum that the support and basic structure of the 2 operating systems are the same and any add-ons that aren't included on the home premium version will probably be able to be downloaded as 3rd party software anyway, should you even need them which is unlikely if you're not hooked up to the net. I don't know if you can use all of your ram on a 32 bit program on a 64 bit OS but you should be able to use the extra ram elsewhere still.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='804906' date='Apr 13 2010, 02:25 PM']When you say Win 7 is marginally better than XP you're on about XP64 yeh? I think i'll give Win 7 a go anyway.[/quote]

I'm almost certain it was the 64 bit version they were on about. You might as well i mean it certainly can't be any slower and if you don't like it i'll send you my copy of windows XP x64 for free :)

Edited by EdwardHimself