Why become a member? ×

Fender P/J bass

solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' post='806167' date='Apr 14 2010, 02:52 PM']My G&L is a Tribute L2000. ... I find the G&L cuts through a band mix better and it gives me more tonal options at the flick of a switch. Also, I find the G&L neck marginally more comfy and less cramped ...

I've not given any thought to radius because I don't know much about the subject. ...

So, it may be that I simply use the G&L L2000 as No.1 bass, with the P as it's backup. Somehow seems a bit back-to-front - dunno why.[/quote]

The factors that determine profile might be playing a larger part in your perceptions than you first realise. The L2000 has a 12" radius, 21mm thickness at the first fret, and a relatively flat fretboard, so although the neck is fairly wide at the nut - 44.5mm - it feels quite shallow in comparison to MusicMan and Fender designs. Not completely certain, but think a Fender Precision uses a 10" radius - measurements of 7.5, 9, 9.5, 10 and 12 inch are all common.

If you find yourself getting along with the L2000, you might find joy taking a look at the older, discontinued G&L models - such as the first version of the SB, with the two J-style pickups, or the El Toro, which produces a sound with more mid-range than the L2000. There are also passive versions of the L1000 and L2000, from the early '80s, which have different tonal characters to the modern L2000.

And given that CLF described the L2000 as the finest bass he ever designed, I don't know why you think it's back to front either.

[quote name='BB2000' post='805329' date='Apr 13 2010, 08:38 PM']Isn't the OP after a C neck (ie a wide P-neck) rather than a B?[/quote]

T'was my understanding that the OP meant a 1.625" neck (or :) and not the C neck as they are indeed rare!

Both those I mentioned have a a B or 41.5mm nut width, however well spotted that man! :rolleyes: .

[quote name='BoomBass' post='806461' date='Apr 14 2010, 08:12 PM']Hm... I had these two that each (almost) meet your needs. Only, none of them are Fenders...

This is a passive J-bass with a chunky P-neck (and reverse headstock)

And this one is a P/J with a P-neck, but it's active...

[/quote]

A couple of lovely looking Celinders here. Most probably beyond my budget, however.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='noelk27' post='806242' date='Apr 14 2010, 04:49 PM']The factors that determine profile might be playing a larger part in your perceptions than you first realise. The L2000 has a 12" radius, 21mm thickness at the first fret, and a relatively flat fretboard, so although the neck is fairly wide at the nut - 44.5mm - it feels quite shallow in comparison to MusicMan and Fender designs. Not completely certain, but think a Fender Precision uses a 10" radius - measurements of 7.5, 9, 9.5, 10 and 12 inch are all common.

If you find yourself getting along with the L2000, you might find joy taking a look at the older, discontinued G&L models - such as the first version of the SB, with the two J-style pickups, or the El Toro, which produces a sound with more mid-range than the L2000. There are also passive versions of the L1000 and L2000, from the early '80s, which have different tonal characters to the modern L2000.

And given that CLF described the L2000 as the finest bass he ever designed, I don't know why you think it's back to front either.[/quote]

Thank you. I'll look out for the G&L's you mention. My "back-to-front" comment was driven along by price, really. I'm currently favouring the G&L Tribute over the USA P, despite The G&L consisting significantly less. The G&L is such good value - used it tonight at rehearsal, with the band members once again saying they prefer the tone over the P.

Steve

[quote name='chrisd24' post='805250' date='Apr 13 2010, 07:39 PM']i own an aerodyne precision, its a p/j configuration but the neck is slightly thinner than a precision, but slightly wider than a jazz.[/quote]

+1

I also own and often play one. It sounds like it could do all you need. And it's quite light and nicely finished, if that's your thing...