Why become a member? ×

ID this bass please

basswa

Can anyone please tell me what bass Gavin Shoesmith is playing on the "Betterman" track when he was with the John Butler Trio? Best place to see it is on you tube (search for "Betterman 2001 HD"). Its probably very obvious but I just cant pick it. Thanks!!

[quote name='basswa' post='807950' date='Apr 16 2010, 12:00 PM']Where is "here" Crazy??[/quote]

DOH! you meant a you tube link!!! sorry its been a long day!!!

Here goes.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXy__6TGxQ

Try that.

Thanks in anticipation.

No Idea what it is, tbh.

At first glance I wondered if it was a WAL, based on the shape of the top horn. But a quick screengrab (didn't know ALT+PRINTSCRN worked in Youtube - I do now) & some quick 'n' dirty Photoshoppery kyboshed that theory.

Jazz-style P/Up, Bijou headstockette, & a rather pointy scratchplate.

EDIT: Our man appears to be wearing a bottleneck as well...
EDIT 2: Quite [i]why[/i] he has one seems to be a mystery, I didn't hear it.

Attached is said screengrab...

Edited by Bloodaxe

I was wondering about the slide too.
I think it's a slap deterrent. Plugged into a Taser system. Any signs of slappage and ..zaaaaap! he gets a bit of therapy.

JB' nose ring works the same way. Duff note? pop!!

:)

Good band. Like that, Thanks for the pointer.

Thanks for the magic Crazy.

Thanks all for your your thoughts and replies. Glad Im not totally dumb for not recognising an obvious bass!

Also glad it was a new discovery for some of you. Excellent band....they are in their 3rd line up now (Shoesmith was their 1st bassist) but I particularly like the style on this track. He plays a pretty simple line but it just sounds so good.

Hmmm....so that bass. I am sure I have seen the headstock design before but just cant think what it was on.

Maybe a custom as suggested.

Any more ideas?????

Edited by basswa

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='808054' date='Apr 16 2010, 05:52 PM']Is he Australian? If so, perhaps it's an Australian luthier bass of some description?[/quote]

Yes he is......you may well be right. I know of 1 or 2 over here in WA.....will have to have a search on the net.

Thanks.