Why become a member? ×

I need to replace a 12" driver, any suggestions?

JamieBenzies

Hello everybody,

I recently managed to cause a small tear in the speaker cone of my Aguilar DB112.

While this may be possible to repair as the tear is between two bits that were previously glued together I am interested in replacing the speaker with one that can take more watts, so far I have looked into Eminence and Fane.

Any recommendations or things that I should take into account whilst replacing the speaker?

Thanks!

Jamie

Replace it with one of the same, Eminence Delta 12 is equivalent to the one in the GS cabs, bit of research might find if both are the same. There were some Aguilar drivers for sale on here. Aguilar seem pretty good at sensible cab designs, so probably just ask them directly, you likely won't benefit from using a different driver. The Delta neo apparently goes well in the GS cabs, again, I don't know what the difference is

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='821085' date='Apr 27 2010, 08:16 PM']Replace it with one of the same, Eminence Delta 12 is equivalent to the one in the GS cabs, bit of research might find if both are the same. There were some Aguilar drivers for sale on here. Aguilar seem pretty good at sensible cab designs, so probably just ask them directly, you likely won't benefit from using a different driver. The Delta neo apparently goes well in the GS cabs, again, I don't know what the difference is[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Yeah there is a guy selling two Aguilar 12" cones on here for £100 so hopefully I can get him to split and get a reasonable price one. I might consider going neo though... a night on google lies ahead I think!

Thanks

Speakers and cabs have to match. If a cab is too small you get a bass hump, lack of damping and the bass cuts out before it should. Too big a cab and the speaker will be overdamped and the bass will go low but at reduced volume. If the cab is a ported cab then it will simply not be tuned to the speaker you put in unless you are prepared to modify the cab or you are very lucky.

by choosing the drive unit carefully you might find one that matches your cab quite well and if it is sealed or you are prepared to block the port then you have a reasonable chance.

You can repair your speaker by using Copydex or any other similar latex based glue and the repair can be built up with layers of tissue laminated with copydex though it sounds as if you just need to stick two bits back together.

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='826970' date='May 3 2010, 11:18 PM']They're not Delta 12s in the GS series.[/quote]

[quote]Eminence recommends the Delta 12LFA 12" bass speaker as a replacement in the Aguilar GS 112[/quote]

Dunno what difference the cast frame makes, probably weight, and maybe smoother mid from less reflections from the frame (that might be marketing balls on some other speaker though).

I doubt the Aguilar DB12"s are identical to any of the Eminence non-OEM models, however I believe it's the same driver as in the GS112. Based on that and the similar enclosure size (and probably tuning) and the success other bassists have had with upgrading GS112s by putting in a DeltaLiteII 2512 then that driver is a safe choice. Expect more midrange with EQ flat and greater maximum LF output and thus max SPL.