Why become a member? ×

Wiring help for speakon to XLR speaker cable with Trace Elliot cab

Delberthot

Out tomorrow night for a gig and there's a wee issue with the 1/4" input on my trace cab. It works fine but the socket just needs replaced.

I have a speakon-speakon cable that I bought from OBBM a while back so I was thinking, to get me through tomorrow's gig, about taking one of the speakons off and replacing it with an XLR to fire into the other input

I take it that I can go and buy a regular XLR connector but what wire goes to what pin? I've been reading a lot and some people reckon that pin 3 is hot and pin 1 is ground, others reckon it is 2 and 1 and some suggest that 2 and 3 are bridged for hot and 1 is ground.

I have no intentions of touching anything until I know exactly what goes where to I would appreciate some assistance to make sure I get this right

Thanks in advance

Think I've found it already - page 28

[url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/SERIES%206.pdf"]http://www.britishaudioservice.com/inst/SERIES%206.pdf[/url]

pin 2 positive and pin 1 negative so does that mean that it would go pin 2 on the XLR to 1+ on the speakon and pin 1 to 1- ?

does pin 3 just get left bare then?

Are they marked pin 1, 2, 3 on the XLR and 1+ and 1- on the speakon?

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='824513' date='May 1 2010, 12:34 AM']1. Does pin 3 just get left bare then?

2. Are they marked pin 1, 2, 3 on the XLR and 1+ and 1- on the speakon?[/quote]

1. Yes

2. Correct. If it helps, cable is red to 1+, blue to 1-.

You will have to leave the shell off the XLR as the 4-sq.mm. cable doesn't fit.

Edited by obbm

I'm actually beginning to doubt that its actually one of yours but i was sure i ordered it from you.

It looks like it has 4 pole speakon plugs on the end, one orange and one blue and the wires are brown and blue the cable has the details 'demko', 'nkt cables', '2x2.5mm'.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='824567' date='May 1 2010, 08:23 AM']I'm actually beginning to doubt that its actually one of yours but i was sure i ordered it from you.

It looks like it has 4 pole speakon plugs on the end, one orange and one blue and the wires are brown and blue the cable has the details 'demko', 'nkt cables', '2x2.5mm'.[/quote]

Nope, not one of mine. Only ever supplied Klotz cable. The fact that it's 2.5mm will make it easy to fit the XLR.