Why become a member? ×

1973 Rickenbacker 4001 FG

Stacker

This one's still around, guys. No trades, thanx. Blurb is as before:-

Reluctant yet necessary sale of this rarely seen bass.It has picked up a few scratches over the decades but it was worn well. Here's how it goes:-

Wavy Grover keys
Non-full-width inlays
Cheq binding
Toaster front pup
Rear pup has adjustable pole-pieces
Original black RIC case
Bit of buckle-rash and a few scratches, given its age
4mm tail-lift
All original bar one pickguard screw
No neck/rod issues whatsoever

The backs of the wavy Grovers are secure and not prone to popping off. There is a split from the bottom of the toaster down to the edge of the scratchplate; this is not uncommon on Ricks from that era. Strung with .040-.095 Warwick Reds since I've had her. Instrument dates to May 1973. Comes with original black RIC case. More pix available on request.Would prefer local pick-up and that buyer arranges own courier service and appropriate insurance. May also meet halfway, within reason. Failing that, actual freight will be arranged after auction end and must include insurance. Would prefer cash/cheque/bank draft/bank transfer.

Asking £1600-ish on this site.

Any Qs, fire away.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='molan' post='824684' date='May 1 2010, 11:17 AM']Last of the checkerboard binding years :)

Could do with some pics to show how nice this looks :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ok, here's one up; PM me if you are interested and I'll supply more pix.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='825172' date='May 1 2010, 09:31 PM']ric novice! whats the diff between a 4001 and a 4003?[/quote]

Truss-rod system still twin but more contemporary on the 4003; you also don't have to 'shift' the neck manually ona 4003 before you tweak the rods like you have to do on a 4001. Diff pups on the 4001: the fron toaster on this one is, to me, a lot warmer than the Hi-Gain. The toaster makes the the old 4001 sound, really. My bass has the rare adjustable pole-pieces on the rear pup and for thos of you who know about weak Es and Gs on Ricks, you'll know how beneficial this is.

Cheq binding, wavy Grovers. That's it.