Why become a member? ×

Uneven sound

I'm somehow dissapointed with how my Ibby sounds.

It's strung E-C, 34 scale.

E sounds very bassy (probably from wearing, strings are Elixirs.. it's the only string already 'worn out'..), A sounds ok, D and G..?

They sound dry, not bassy enough.

C string sounds very thin, but that's something to do with my bass scale, as far as I know..

All in all, sound is uneven, when going from string to string in the same position..

The 'lower end' strings are too bassy, and uppers are too dry.

The thing is, I tried to adjust pickups, lowering them, where E and A strings go, and, putting 'em up by the upper strings..

That didn't help much somehow..

There's a sound example of my bass, flat eq, I'm playing on bridge pup (hand position, I mean..):

[attachment=48716:bass_scale.mp3]

What do I do, guys? :)

Any thoughts appreciated..

Faith

Have you tried different strings? I've had issues with one make of string making quite a different tone in the same type and gauge of string.

Your bridge could be the next place to look. Saddle height and break angle can effect the tone of some strings.

There is a definite change across the fretboard as you describe. Are you just looking for a more uniform sound or a specific sound?

My bass came with Elixirs, they were all fine then..

I'm not sure about the bridge, though.. Guess, there's no other way, than showing bass to a proper luthier (and there are none of those here..)

All I want from my bass, is, that it would sound as even as possible (and, properly set up bass [i]does [/i]have to sound even, as I suppose..?)..

Does that my any sense?
BTW, did you listen to the sound example?

Edited by Faithless

How was the clip recorded - through an amp, or direct?

Any reason you can't use some EQ - just drop the bass a bit?

Possibly your top strings might be choking a little because the action's too low, but otherwise it just sounds like it needs a bit of bass cut...

It was recorded direct, DI, so you get the picture..

The fact is, I'm playing with EQ a lot, cutting bass, cutting higher mids, but I'm doing this for my sounding issues, not to solve 'unevenness' problem..

What about the action, yep, it very low, but I'm playing very softly, so I don't have problems with clanking.. Well, I cut the highs completely off when playing, but this time everything was flat..