Why become a member? ×

Fitting a Status Graphite neck...

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Status Graphite neck for my EBMM Stingray. Status claim this is easy to fit yourself with their easy to follow instructions. But with the need to makes holes for the tuner fixings (16 in total) the string tree, drill six holes for the neck bolts - I can't help feeling that there's a lot to go wrong here. The neck itself is pricey - I wouldn't want to make expensive mistakes.

What's the experience with fitting these? Can you do it yourself? Is it easy as Status claim? Or are you better off getting Status or a guitar tech to fit it?

The neck itself costs £336. And Status would charge £110 to fit and set-up the neck. Does their fitting cost sound right? Or is that expensive?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Derrick

I wouldn't do it again. Unless you're very confident and steady handed, have sharp tools and know a bit about carbon/graphite do's and don'ts.

The carbon fibre is very thin and brittle - ie the srews only grip 2-3mm of resin, then its fresh air inside the neck, with some foam. The holes have to be counter-sunk to avoid chipping as the screws go in - it all feels a bit high risk on an expensive neck. I did it fine, but its not a forgiving material.

I've got a lot of respect for Rob Green, making basses out of that stuff, and to such a high standard.

Edit for a PS: I also wouldn't do it again for sonic reasons - way too brittle/hard a sound for me...but lots of people love it :)

Edited by BassBod

[quote name='BassBod' post='825448' date='May 2 2010, 12:51 PM']I wouldn't do it again. Unless you're very confident and steady handed, have sharp tools and know a bit about carbon/graphite do's and don'ts.

The carbon fibre is very thin and brittle - ie the srews only grip 2-3mm of resin, then its fresh air inside the neck, with some foam. The holes have to be counter-sunk to avoid chipping as the screws go in - it all feels a bit high risk on an expensive neck. I did it fine, but its not a forgiving material.

I've got a lot of respect for Rob Green, making basses out of that stuff, and to such a high standard.

Edit for a PS: I also wouldn't do it again for sonic reasons - way too brittle/hard a sound for me...but lots of people love it :)[/quote]
Thanks for the advice BB and OTPJ. Got some enquiries and some thinking to do.......