Why become a member? ×

Stiffed by a seller

Last night I won an ebay auction for a 30W Roland combo, collection only. (I'm always trawling the local collect only items on ebay, it's the best way of finding bargains).

I contacted him a couple of weeks ago asking him if I would be ok to pay cash on collection, to which he agreed. Come the auction end and I fell asleep...and missed it. Some lucky punter got it for £69 quid.

Then it was relisted. Alarm bells were ringing, but I hoped the previous buyer had just backed out. No feedback for the cancelled transaction was given or recieved. Second time around, I managed to stay awake and won the auction with a bid of £56. I immediately messaged the seller asking when would be convenient for me to collect and pay for the item. To which he's just replied...

"hi i can not acsept £56 i could not put a reservie price on if you can offer an better price ill acsept its just because ive only had it for 3 weeks and used once so ill be lossing alot of money thanks" :)

I haven't replied yet and obviously I can't make him sell me the item, but what can I do to make this situation as unconfortable as possible? I'm probably now at least the second person he's stiffed. :rolleyes:

[quote name='crez5150' post='834164' date='May 11 2010, 01:01 PM']Screw him and leave neg feedback[/quote]
+1
This sounds pretty much what WaynePD went through a couple of weeks back with a cheap bass. You can't make him sell it to you despite there being a binding contract :) but you can warn others that he is a cheating C U next Tuesday.

There's no excuse for doing this - if he wants more for the amp he should put a reserve price on it or start the bid at the lowest amount he's happy to accept.

Tell him you're not interested, leave negative feedback & report him to Ebay.

Tell him under the laws setout by Ebay that the price it sold for is the price you buy if for. So unless he sells you if for that, you will not pay him any different and will leave negative feedback and report him to Ebay.

I've just reported the item to ebay, telling them the seller refuses to complete the transaction and has asked for more money.
I don't think just leaving negative feedback will have the desired effect. He has zero feedback ATM and I suspect I'm dealing with a child, (his user name is m***o95 and I think the 95 might refer to the year he was born).

[quote name='Shambo' post='834197' date='May 11 2010, 01:31 PM']I've just reported the item to ebay, telling them the seller refuses to complete the transaction and has asked for more money.
I don't think just leaving negative feedback will have the desired effect. He has zero feedback ATM and I suspect I'm dealing with a child, (his user name is m***o95 and I think the 95 might refer to the year he was born).[/quote]

Have you paid for the item via paypal? I've heard of cases (don't know if they are urban legends or not) where someone complained that a seller refused to sell. But, as payment hadn't been made via paypal, the seller reported the buyer as a non performing buyer, and had the negative feedback removed.

On ebay forums the standard strategy seems to be to pay by paypal immediately that something is won at a cheap sum, and keep on paying every time the buyer is refunded. That way, when there's a dispute, there's a bit paper trail showing that the buyer attempted to pay for the item.

[quote name='Shambo' post='834197' date='May 11 2010, 01:31 PM']I've just reported the item to ebay, telling them the seller refuses to complete the transaction and has asked for more money.
I don't think just leaving negative feedback will have the desired effect. He has zero feedback ATM and I suspect I'm dealing with a child, (his user name is m***o95 and I think the 95 might refer to the year he was born).[/quote]

Had this before, get a phone number off ebay, you'll talk to his mum, and there will be shouting, followed by a parcel.

Raise a dispute through eBay before leaving negative feedback, it could lead to a ban or prevent him doing further relisting of the item. Particularly as it's re-listed item that might not of sold for the very same reason the first time around - make this clear to eBay.

Edited by derrenleepoole

I was bidding on this originally and then noticed it was re-listed so avoided it.

I am in agreement with Derren and would message him and explain the situation again and the consequences to him if he does not sell it to you and then report him to ebay under a dispute if you get no joy. I would not bother with the feedback until the situation is resolved one way or the other.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='834214' date='May 11 2010, 01:47 PM']Raise a dispute through eBay before leaving negative feedback, it could lead to a ban or prevent him doing further relisting of the item. Particularly as it's re-listed item that might not of sold for the very same reason the first time around - make this clear to eBay.[/quote]

[quote name='Prosebass' post='834239' date='May 11 2010, 02:10 PM']I was bidding on this originally and then noticed it was re-listed so avoided it.

I am in agreement with Derren and would message him and explain the situation again and the consequences to him if he does not sell it to you and then report him to ebay under a dispute if you get no joy. I would not bother with the feedback until the situation is resolved one way or the other.[/quote]
I agree. I'm resisting the urge to just leave negative feedback. I'm also resisting the urge to contact him and explain my unhappiness in case he just decides to cancel the transaction, I want ebay to look at the live listing because I doubt they'd be arsed dealing with a cancelled one.

Nothing insulting, just short and to the point.

Here's the link to the listing, in case he decided to list it again. I'd suggest giving it a wide berth.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230470907742&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]