Why become a member? ×

For those bored of politics, my 20yr old bass has had a revamp

Cat Burrito

I mentioned this in a few other threads but I've owned my 57RI Fender P-bass (MIJ) since I started playing seriously. It's a 1989 model and saw REALLY heavy use around 1994/5. Being young, drunk and dumb I kicked it about and mistreated it. In recent years I've discovered GAS but this is the one bass I'd never get rid of. Together it's been on TV with me, it's played the Marquee with me, it's toured most of England with me and I can account for every battle scar. When I half heartedly tried trashing it one night in Bristol I was told by my local shop at the time I'd permanently bent the neck but he'd straightened it out "best I could". However I've since been told this was not true. Recently I thought the neck was finally bowing so decided to get a new neck. I swapped the pickguard and added the ashtrays about 12yrs ago (oh, and the thumbrest). I've also recently become more of a rosewood convert so decided to give it a 62RI vibe. I acquired a 62RI neck and it's gotten a new lease of life. I hope you enjoy the pics.

and in it's original incarnation (the model has aged less well by the way!)

Funnily enough OTPJ I thought of your bass when I snapped the photos. It's all original and what the photo doesn't show is the fairly horrendous lacquer cracks along the underside of the bass. The neck is from a 2004 CIJ so it really is looking a lot newer now.

And Clarky, a hot sweaty night - I was spitting in that picture. How terribly uncultured of me. Turned out nice in the end though!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='835686' date='May 12 2010, 09:09 PM']Funnily enough OTPJ I thought of your bass when I snapped the photos. It's all original and what the photo doesn't show is the fairly horrendous lacquer cracks along the underside of the bass. The neck is from a 2004 CIJ so it really is looking a lot newer now.

And Clarky, a hot sweaty night - I was spitting in that picture. How terribly uncultured of me. Turned out nice in the end though![/quote]

Yes, with the new neck yours does look rather like a 'burst version of mine - Mine's now gone to a new home & has been replaced with a 50th Anniversary Jazz. It was the nicest Precision I've ever played as well. :)