Why become a member? ×

Recording Hangover

Low End Bee

We did some tracks with a proper producer/engineer in a proper studio who's worked with people even I have heard of on Saturday and it was really hard full on work.
We got what the producer called extremely rough mixes on Monday and all felt a quite down hearted. Although the instruments sounded great tonally and the mix and quality was miles ahead of anything we've previously done we could hear all the little bits where we a gnats out of time and fixated on that.
It's Thursday now and all I can hear is some good songs that will get even better once he's done his magic on them. The couple of timing issues will easily be fixed with pro tools magic apparently. I'm dead chuffed now with what we did. All I could hear when I first listened was the bit where I was a millisecond late on one intro and then I went stone deaf.

Just really putting this out as a warning to take time to reflect after you've done a recording that's out of your comfort zone.

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='843295' date='May 20 2010, 05:01 PM']We did some tracks with a proper producer/engineer in a proper studio who's worked with people even I have heard of on Saturday and it was really hard full on work.
We got what the producer called extremely rough mixes on Monday and all felt a quite down hearted. Although the instruments sounded great tonally and the mix and quality was miles ahead of anything we've previously done we could hear all the little bits where we a gnats out of time and fixated on that.
It's Thursday now and all I can hear is some good songs that will get even better once he's done his magic on them. The couple of timing issues will easily be fixed with pro tools magic apparently. I'm dead chuffed now with what we did. All I could hear when I first listened was the bit where I was a millisecond late on one intro and then I went stone deaf.

Just really putting this out as a warning to take time to reflect after you've done a recording that's out of your comfort zone.[/quote]

That seems to be a common occurrence with recording musicians. If you're on the clock payment wise, you've got to make every take count, and when you hear back the next day, you seem to be able to pick out the flaws in your playing, however small.

The engineer is right though. If its only a slight timing issue, using pro-tools elastic-time function will allow him to shift the note back into time without any degradation of the sound. Some people may call it cheating, but for the small time band, its perfect :)