Why become a member? ×

Stagg bass truss rod problem

stevew

Hi. I recently bought a Stagg BC300 3/4 sized bass for a home recording project, and got it home only to discover that it was impossible to adjust the truss rod. Pausing only to give myself a swift kick up the backside, I removed the plastic plate behind the nut to reveal the gizmo [url="http://www.violin-repairer.talktalk.net/other/stagg%20truss%20adjuster.jpg"]pictured here[/url]. If this is an allen-key truss adjuster, then the flats have become rounded. Clearly it needs replacing, but before I begin bodging I need to know whether the Stagg uses a double-action truss road. Stagg's web site only lists a snail mail contact option, and I'd prefer not to have to wait for a reply that (let's face it) would never arrive anyway, so I though I'd ask here. If the truss rod is an old-fashioned singleton, then the adjuster should be removable. I might, frinstance, use a counter-threaded bolt remover to do the job. If the truss is double action, then I'm guessing the entire truss would have to be replaced, meaning fingerboard removal. I'm also guessing that the adjuster is made out of a tube of metal with an allen-shaped insert at one end for the benefit of the general public, and a threaded insert at the other that locates on the threaded end of the rod itself. Is this correct? If so, then are these all a standard size? Allen head / thread?? Shops on ebay seem to sell stuff like this, but I'd prefer some feedback here first. If the adjuster is (theoretically) removable, but turns out to be stuck, or if the truss is double-action, then perhaps I might attach a new allen bolt in some way. Perhaps drill out the old adjuster (carefully), chase a new thread inside, and fit the new bolt. Of course it's likely the modification would protrude from the headstock, but then this is hardly a vintage instrument. Any thoughts would be appreciated ...

[quote name='Johnston' post='844964' date='May 22 2010, 11:25 AM']I just pulled my Stagg LP apart. The truss is a single action with a 5mm allen key.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Did you actually remove the 'truss rod nut' (or adjuster)? If so, is it effectively a hollow tube that screws onto the threaded end of the truss rod? I said in my original post that the flats had disappeared in mine, but since then I've had a closer look. Frankly I can't see any evidence of there having been flats at all. What I can see is a round bit of metal with a cone-shaped hole bored down the middle. Having cleaned out all the rubbish, I can see that the hole tapers to a [i]very[/i] small hole at the bottom. I spose it's possible this adjuster was an allen bolt at one stage, but it doesn't look that way to me. Are there any other tools that can be used to adjust truss rods?

[quote name='Johnston' post='845260' date='May 22 2010, 06:25 PM']Yea I pulled the nut right out . It looks and feels like very cheap and light metal, it's almost aluminium like mine has a wee hole at the bottom, almost like its the pilot hole for the threads[/quote]

aHA. Thanks for that!

(Great avatar BTW)

If you loosen a truss rod nut and it goes slack and then goes snug again, then you have a double-action rod.

When you replace the truss rod nut, blow the dust out of the hole in the bass and put some vaseline on the thread and the face of the nut. The rod works much better after this.

[quote name='7string' post='846029' date='May 23 2010, 09:16 PM']If you loosen a truss rod nut and it goes slack and then goes snug again, then you have a double-action rod.[/quote]

OK. I had another go at the thing, and having cleaned some volcanic ash out of the bore (I have a neighbour who swears her car's absolutely filthy with the stuff :) ), I succeeded in getting a 4mm allen key to bite. And lo and behold, it did perform like a double action rod. So I tightened it a bit, and the neck is now straight enough for jazz. I now need to raise the nut a little.

[quote name='7string' post='846029' date='May 23 2010, 09:16 PM']When you replace the truss rod nut, blow the dust out of the hole in the bass and put some vaseline on the thread and the face of the nut. The rod works much better after this.[/quote]

But how do you remove the trod nut if it bites when it's backed off? I'm missing something here, aren't I ...