Why become a member? ×

Is this a bad idea??

Linus27

[quote name='~tl' post='849343' date='May 27 2010, 12:37 PM']There are other companies who make aftermarket bodies/necks (WD, Allparts, etc), but I've not come across any that have the range of options that Warmoth do. Most seem to only offer bodies in alder/ash with maple/rosewood fingerboards.[/quote]

Ok, thanks. After adding up all the bits, its going to be quite expensive but I guess thats its going to be very unique and very good :)

The cost does tend to add up once you add in all the hardware, though it depends on what quality of parts you get. Obviously, you pay a premium for Schaller/Hipshot/etc over no-name parts. I've never used them myself, but Warmoth parts are supposed to be excellent quality.

Finishing costs should also be taken into account. Warmoth charge $170 to lacquer a body and $65 for a neck, which is pretty reasonable. It's possible to do it yourself, with a bit of time and patience. You can get satin lacquer from [url="http://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/lacquer.html"]Manchester Guitar Tech[/url]. An alternative would be to go for an oiled finish (which should work quite well on walnut) and is reasonably easy to apply yourself.

Still, putting together a bass is a fun project, and means you can get something that is exactly tailored to your personal choice.

[quote name='~tl' post='849349' date='May 27 2010, 12:50 PM']The cost does tend to add up once you add in all the hardware, though it depends on what quality of parts you get. Obviously, you pay a premium for Schaller/Hipshot/etc over no-name parts. I've never used them myself, but Warmoth parts are supposed to be excellent quality.[/quote]

This is one thing i would be aware of if you go the Warmoth route. The cheap Squier-mod project could turn into a very expensive but absolutely amazing project!

I don't think i've ever gone on the Warmoth site and not been tempted to put together something absolutely top spec, when you look at some of the basses people have put together it's very tempting to go all out and get your dream bass at any cost.
The quality is absolutely top notch on all Warmoth stuff, i couldn't find a single fault with the one i had