Why become a member? ×

Having trouble with 5 string sets

G.D.

I've just bought a new 5 string Steinberger Spirit bass of these forums. I have also ordered an adaptor from the states that will let me string it with normal single ball ends instead if double ball ends. I enjoy playing my 5 strings (I have another as well) - the problem I always get is finding the right strings for them. The band I play in isn't heavy enough to warrant the low B and often has a lot of space where there is singing and minimal guitar picking - this gives me the space to play passages that little bit higher and not thunder away underneath the singer. So I like to string my 5 with a high C instead of a low B. Why don't string manufacturers accommodate this ? I can low B sets in every make and gauge under the sun but can't find a simple 5 set with a C. I have resorted to buying 6 string sets instead. Luckily my favourite strings are D'addario Nickel and they do a 6 string set but surely other people somewhere must have this problem as well ?

GD

Speak to [url="http://www.stringbusters.com/index.htm"]Stringbusters[/url] - they will probably be able to sort something out for you - great store. [url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/"]Newtone[/url] will also be able to sort you out, but you may need to buy 2 sets at once.

Edited by johnnylager

Interesting links you've sent - but they do highlight what I was saying, one of those is handmade another is available in Chrome or gold plated only. Is a high C string so unusual that main stream manufacturers (eg D'Addario Elixir etc) don't do them as a set ?

GD