Why become a member? ×

Meatball, Korg G5, EBS Octabass for sale

bozzbass

So I have a few pedals to sell. They have been sitting in a cupboard not seeing much action for a few years now and I figure it's far better that someone is using them to make music. All of them are in excellent condition, boxed with the manuals.

1. Lovetone Meatball - [color="#0000FF"]Sold[/color]
Super juicy juicy envelope filter with lots of knobs, lots of tweakage and lots of possibilities. Stick an octaver and fuzz in the effects loop for synthy goodness. This one is dated 1998 for those that are interested.

2. EBS Octabass - [color="#0000FF"]Sold[/color]
This is the old grey model. I never bonded with this and much prefer my old EHX Octave Multiplexer.

3. Korg G5 - [color="#0000FF"]Sold[/color]
Excellent bass synth that I gigged a lot with at one point. I've restored it to the factory settings and it comes with the original power supply.

All prices are of course flexible so feel free to make offers, however I am not looking for trades. Cheque (must clear), cash (if collecting) or bank transfer please. Price includes Royal Mail P&P.

Edited by bozzbass

Hi there everyone

I've had a few PMs now asking about the comparison between the Meatball and the fabled Mutron III so, given I also have a 'tron, I thought I would offer my thoughts on how the two square up.

The Meatball is way more flexible than the Mutron, both in terms of features - it has an effects loop for keyed inputs, the envelope itself is far more tweakable - and in sound. The Meatball's filter frequency is tweakbale from subterranean to ear bleed whilst the Mutron sweeps only in that pleasingly phatt mid range.

I reckon the Meatball's flexibility is both a plus and a minus. On the plus, like the filter on a synth or 'studio' filter, it can go more extreme/weird on bass or pretty much any other sound source, where as in my experience the 'tron is good for those kind of generically funky midrangey filtering sounds on bass, guitar and keys. The minus is that it can produce a lot effects which are just not useful on a bass, and given it has way more knobs than a Mutron, until you get know it the Meatball can be tricky to set up on gigs. It is a pedal that takes a bit of time to learn but what I have found is on bass I don't touch the sens (12 o clock), attack (about 10 o'clock), colour, intens and blend controls (all maxed), trigger half/full (full). This leaves me tweaking decay, up/down, filter range and filter type which are pretty much the same controls as on the Mutron.

Sound-wise can the Meatball match a Mutron? I did such a test before putting it up for sale and I would give it an 8.5 out of 10, that is as good as you can get without having a Mutron. For the purposes of normal usage - that is on a gig or in a studio mix - I would say unless you are a filter geek or someone who buys into pedal mojo, the Meatball will easily satisfy your Mutron desires. On the other hand if you want to compare filters in your bedroom, the Meatball will be slightly different to the 'tron (not worse, just different). If you set the Meatball's Attack to around 10 o'clock and back off the Colour to about 3/4 o'clock, it easily replicates the Mutron's lazy triggering.

In short, the Meatball will give you Mutron-ness with a whole lot more. That 'whole lot more' will either be felt as deeper (quite literally in terms of frequency range) possibilities to be explored or an annoying distraction depending upon what you want.

Hope this is helpful and thanks for the interest so far.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...