Why become a member? ×

Does anyone here use auto-tune?

EdwardHimself

[quote name='escholl' post='859968' date='Jun 7 2010, 03:15 PM']Haha, brilliant :)

I've used it before, my old band used it as an effect the intro to one of out tracks. The beginning of "Miles and Years" [url="http://www.myspace.com/stopstartpenguin"]here[/url].[/quote]

I agree that it can make a cool sound on vocals, if you're going for that effect. Cool song. I think the singer certainly sounds a lot like Simon out of Biffy. What i find it's also good for on recordings is sorting out out of tune basses!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='860858' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:04 PM']It's kind of horrible the way every pop song on the radio has a vocal that sounds more like a keyboard. It's what people have come to expect now though. They even seem to do it with technically good singers.[/quote]

It's true. And I catch myself sometimes watching a vid on TV from pre-autotune days and thinking 'ooh, that was a bit off-key' so the rot has really set in.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' post='860893' date='Jun 8 2010, 12:37 PM']It's true. And I catch myself sometimes watching a vid on TV from pre-autotune days and thinking 'ooh, that was a bit off-key' so the rot has really set in.[/quote]

I agree that it appears to be everywhere these days, even a lot of "metal" bands are using it. The problem i have with it is that i really just don't think it sounds very good unless you're going for it as an effect sort of thing. I'm not so keen on the way it sounds too perfect, like when they did a "cover" of queen on glee that i just happened to flick onto when it was on BBC breakfast one time. It just sounded so fake and just not really very good, imo. Because the thing is that Freddie Mercury was one of the great performers of recent years but even he wasn't perfect. It just can't really be done by a human being. But that's what added the carachter to the songs. You even hear it as i say in many modern rock and metal songs. I think possibly one problem is that the modern studio simply doesn't want to spend the time or effort going over dud notes and re-taking them so they just go over it with the auto tune, and don't bother much trying to hide it's use either just so they can start shifting units. Well that's my view on it but since i did these takes even though they were only a joke i feel like i've really began to notice the use of auto tune that i didn't notice before in all different manners of music.