Why become a member? ×

pickup output

nicker

Hi there

Apologies if I get format wrong etc as I'm new to the forum!
I've got an old Satellite through neck P bass with a brass through strung bridge that I'm doing a fret dress on at the moment. I thought i'd put some decent pickups on it so checked the resistance at the jack and got 15.55kohms (meter set to 20k range)! Am I imagining it or does that seem a teeny bit high. As far as I know P bass passives normally range from c9.5 to c12.5kohms so, my question (at last) is, is it possible to wire the separate bits up wrong and come up with a high figure? I had assumed that the pickups were just generics as they have no particul;ar distinguishing marks and don't look like they've been overwound.
Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Nick

The 2 pups on a P bass should be wired in series to get the mids-bump typical of the sound. If I remember, some of these old Satellites had DiMarzio pups which may indeed approach that figure. If it has poles adjustable via Allen Key, then it's possibly a Dimarzio.

You can also wire each pup independently to vol & earth, but wiring in parallel will fundamentally change the tone, giving a mids-scooped sound quite unlike the standard P Bass tone, although it can also be quite attractive.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='863713' date='Jun 10 2010, 09:06 PM']The 2 pups on a P bass should be wired in series to get the mids-bump typical of the sound. If I remember, some of these old Satellites had DiMarzio pups which may indeed approach that figure. If it has poles adjustable via Allen Key, then it's possibly a Dimarzio.

You can also wire each pup independently to vol & earth, but wiring in parallel will fundamentally change the tone, giving a mids-scooped sound quite unlike the standard P Bass tone, although it can also be quite attractive.

G.[/quote]

Thanks Geoff
Fixed pole pieces and single full length magnet so probably not DiMarzios. Thanks for the info on wiring in parallel, I might give that a try anyway to see what it sounds like.
Nick