Why become a member? ×

SOLVED = sort of

I've got a gig tonight and thought it would be a good idea to buy some nice new tubes from the lovely people at Watford Valves. I whipped out the old valves from my Ampeg SVT-6 Pro and didn't note which valves went where. Yes, I'm an idiot, I know.

To cut a long story short, I need to put the original valves back in.

There are four 12AX7 valves and two 12AU7 valves.

I've hunted high and low for a schematic - called Panic Music, spoken to Watford Valves, and left a message with Loud Technologies and no ones entirely sure what goes where.

Can anyone help??? I've attached a picture of the empty valve slots!

Thank you folks!!

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

A quick search turned up some guys that have the same amp.

Here's 2 of them, perhaps shoot 'em a friendly PM to see if they could have a squint in the backs of theirs.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=90983&hl=Ampeg+SVT-6+Pro"]1[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89989&hl=Ampeg+SVT-6+Pro"]2[/url]

These were just the first 2 there are plenty more.

Edited by Ou7shined

Ou7shined and Chris - thanks so much for taking the time to reply - I really appreciate it.

Problem is solved now - its four 12AX7s in J11, J14 and the front two slots... and two 12AU7s in slots J12 and J39.

Thanks again - people like you make this forum a godsend - cheers!

Steve

Well, I thought all was fine... then played gig and the sound was very crackly. It was actually going crackly when I first put the valves in. I put the old valves back in - same problem. So back in with the new valves, then I screwed the cover on, put it in the rack case, and all seemed fine... but was not to be...

Does anyone know what the problem might be and if/how it can be solved?

Thank you folks!

Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='864978' date='Jun 12 2010, 10:34 AM']Well, I thought all was fine... then played gig and the sound was very crackly. It was actually going crackly when I first put the valves in. I put the old valves back in - same problem. So back in with the new valves, then I screwed the cover on, put it in the rack case, and all seemed fine... but was not to be...

Does anyone know what the problem might be and if/how it can be solved?

Thank you folks![/quote]

was it crackling to begin with, and that was why you initially replaced the valves? It may very likely be a dry joint or loose connection within the amplifier. How handy are you with electronics?

[quote name='escholl' post='865237' date='Jun 12 2010, 02:49 PM']was it crackling to begin with, and that was why you initially replaced the valves? It may very likely be a dry joint or loose connection within the amplifier. How handy are you with electronics?[/quote]

Hi, I just changed the tubes in an outburst of GAS. There wasn't a crackle before I changed them. I'm not that handy with electronics unfortunately so I think I'll seek professional help!

Cheers

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='865339' date='Jun 12 2010, 04:49 PM']Hi, I just changed the tubes in an outburst of GAS. There wasn't a crackle before I changed them. I'm not that handy with electronics unfortunately so I think I'll seek professional help!

Cheers[/quote]

You may have just wiggled one of the valve bases loose when changing the valves, may have had a nearly dry joint already and the added pressure wiggled it free. Don't worry, there was no way you could have known it would happen. Should be a quick, easy fix for any professional tech. :)

If you happen to have any contact cleaner, have you tried using it to clean the valve sockets? It is also possible they are just a little oxidised, and just need a bit of a clean.

[quote name='escholl' post='865659' date='Jun 13 2010, 12:51 AM']You may have just wiggled one of the valve bases loose when changing the valves, may have had a nearly dry joint already and the added pressure wiggled it free. Don't worry, there was no way you could have known it would happen. Should be a quick, easy fix for any professional tech. :)

If you happen to have any contact cleaner, have you tried using it to clean the valve sockets? It is also possible they are just a little oxidised, and just need a bit of a clean.[/quote]

Thanks escholl, Ifalex, Mr Foxen...

Escholl... I think you're right - I'm taking it to an amp repairman this afternoon - I don't trust my fat fingers any more!

Cheers,

Steve