Why become a member? ×

Funk and fusion into jazz and drum and bass... My album 'Homespun' - available now on iTunes

urb

Hey Peeps

I've finished my mini-LP - you know what I do by now (hopefully you're not bored witless by it :) ) - produced and mixed all by myself - mastered by my friend Niraj Chag

[url="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/homespun/id377612906"]Click here for more sounds [/url]- or on the banner below - thanks again for listening

Made a silly little promo clip - just to give folks an idea of what it sounds like...

Thanks for listening (and buying it!)

Mike

[quote name='jmesa' post='867981' date='Jun 15 2010, 01:13 PM']Nice one mate! Good luck with the sales![/quote]

Thanks

Here's a link to a page where you can listen to all the tracks from the album on good quality streams

[url="http://www.munkio.com/urb.html"]http://www.munkio.com/urb.html[/url]

Let me know what you think

Cheers chaps

Mike

Small bump for this, as I'm sure a few of you guys will dig this I'd love to know what you think of the sound, style, playing etc... check out the streams on the link above... thanks

Just added this to Bandcamp as well - better quality MP3s now available:

[url="http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/"]http://mikeflynnsurb.bandcamp.com/[/url]

Cheers

Mike

I heard a few tunes earlier and just bought the album from Bandcamp.

I was really surprised, I don't really dig this sort of jazzy D&B gig, but I actually really like it and it really evokes memories of places I've never been :) If you get me.

Mike's playing is truly accomplished, immense technique and the compositions really allow him to stretch out, but they groove so well too. They have feel, they're not just a bunch of tunes to solo over, they are clever, harmonically and melodically rich and the drums are ace!

Congratulations Mike, I hope it gets great reviews and that you get the recognition you deserve.

Cheers.

[quote name='silddx' post='876813' date='Jun 24 2010, 08:21 PM']In fact the more I listen, the more I wonder which horse steroids you are taking :) HTF do you get your picking fingers to move that fast?![/quote]

Thanks fella - in answer to your question that's my stunt double Munkio - he does all my 'dangerously fast' playing for me :rolleyes:

Really glad you enjoyed the tunes and thanks for buying it as well

See you at the bash

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thoroughly enjoying listening to the album, downloaded it this morning. Some blistering but tastefully done playing, the album certainly doesn't strike me as pure bass jamming for the sake of it, I think the tunes stand up as a whole with some nice hooks to pull you in.

Outstanding drum tracks, always good for a bass players album, and some nice brass too, including on my favourite track "Hinterlands".

It's always good to get the kids involved, and on "Mr Ben" it sounds like a little Urb is getting in on the action, which made me smile.

Highly recommended by me.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='893547' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:16 AM']Nice one Mike. Seen your signature but never read it. Ha ha. (Does that mean I automatically filter out ads?) Shall check it out tonight![/quote]

Hey Russ

I know what you mean :) - hope you like the tunes - let me know what you think

Cheers

Mike

• 8 months later...

I finally got round to buying this a week or so ago, so I've had plenty of time to live with it and mull it over. Here's what I think:

I'm finding great difficulty in searching for anything to criticise, and shed loads to rave about. Great hooks and melodies, the way things knit together with the chordal structures and accompanying tonal 'dabs' from all instruments blending beautifully. I find I'm listening to the music rather than the performance, and this is the mark of really well constructed music to me. It just puts a big smile on my face and I couldn't say that for all the musice I've bought.

Great variety of mood, tempo and feel. Some of it makes me grin from ear to ear This is not a bass player's solo album in the typical sense. It's a complete album that has been made by someone who happens to be a bloody great bass player. Big difference. Yep, the way some of the hooks pan out is just so fresh and unexpected. (Sing your own Anthem for example)

When I do listen to the performance, there is little wrong and another shed-load that is right. All the instruments are played to staggering levels of technical proficiency in the main, with great feel and 'bounce' in the rhythm section. The last track is probably the one that's the weakest, but that's a relative term - weakest in comparison with genuinely excellent is still good.

I think I've detected a couple of slightly rushed sections on the bass, but as I've said, I've had to be ultra critical to find faults, but I'm judging from the perspective of how I would judge this if it were a big label, big artist release - no holds barred. In any case it's so far in advance of any bass playing I could even imagine never mind actually play. :)

Oh bollocks to this - it's just a f*cking great album and I'm chuffed to bits I've bought it.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1171151' date='Mar 21 2011, 07:30 PM']I finally got round to buying this a week or so ago, so I've had plenty of time to live with it and mull it over. Here's what I think:

I'm finding great difficulty in searching for anything to criticise, and shed loads to rave about. Great hooks and melodies, the way things knit together with the chordal structures and accompanying tonal 'dabs' from all instruments blending beautifully. I find I'm listening to the music rather than the performance, and this is the mark of really well constructed music to me. It just puts a big smile on my face and I couldn't say that for all the musice I've bought.

Great variety of mood, tempo and feel. Some of it makes me grin from ear to ear This is not a bass player's solo album in the typical sense. It's a complete album that has been made by someone who happens to be a bloody great bass player. Big difference. Yep, the way some of the hooks pan out is just so fresh and unexpected. (Sing your own Anthem for example)

When I do listen to the performance, there is little wrong and another shed-load that is right. All the instruments are played to staggering levels of technical proficiency in the main, with great feel and 'bounce' in the rhythm section. The last track is probably the one that's the weakest, but that's a relative term - weakest in comparison with genuinely excellent is still good.

I think I've detected a couple of slightly rushed sections on the bass, but as I've said, I've had to be ultra critical to find faults, but I'm judging from the perspective of how I would judge this if it were a big label, big artist release - no holds barred. In any case it's so far in advance of any bass playing I could even imagine never mind actually play. :)

Oh bollocks to this - it's just a f*cking great album and I'm chuffed to bits I've bought it.[/quote]

Thanks Ian, very humbling words, thanks so much.

I'm hoping the follow up will be much better - but this will do for now :)

Just to respond to your comments about 'listening to the music, not just the bass playing', that was and still is my goal overall, and it remains a priority in the new music I'm working on now. Thanks again for such amazing compliments - it's not why I do this stuff but it's great to get such encouragement to keep doing it!

Cheers

Mike