Why become a member? ×

Little Giants by Ashdown !

bassman42

Poor build quality and reliability make this 'seemingly-good-option-for-the-price' amplifier a loser! The input section is very weak and you need a bass with a very high output indeed or preamp to get the most of the power on offer. Seriously, the input section is awful. May do as a backup amp, but I wouldn't trust it as a main gigging head, mine died from new within a month of ownership and I'm a light amp user. The Superfly head is a much better unit and can be had for little money these days. For the price they fetch you could buy two, one as a main and one as backup!

A Superfly isn't a great option if you don't want an unreliable amp though! There's also a pretty lame input section on those too, much like the LG. Used LMII all the way, only about £100 more

I read on one of the threads that putting a boost in the effects loop cures the problem with the weak gain section, not exactly a portable rig then though i suppose

Edited by lemmywinks

I guess we all form our opinions at least in part based on our own experience and I've been using the Superfly 500 head regularly for quite some time now with no issues or complaints.

I'd only be thinking of a move to the LG 1000 simply to gain more head room and I'd keep the Superfly as a spare/back up.

Having said that, my experience with the Ashdown product across the board ( or at least the ABM and Mag series) has all been 100% positive, so maybe I'm either lucky or simply have horribly low standards!!! :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='869769' date='Jun 17 2010, 11:22 AM']I guess we all form our opinions at least in part based on our own experience and I've been using the Superfly 500 head regularly for quite some time now with no issues or complaints.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, since taking mine out of the external casing it's been problem free, i've played through it for ages and all the gremlins seem to be gone.

However when i got it i had to send it back twice with 2 seperate faults, even then it kept cutting out (overheating i think - hence the case removal).
Fact is it's a bit of a lottery buying one, there are good ones but there's also an awful lot of bad ones with faulty mainboards, sounds like we've been lucky as ours are currently still alive and kicking!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='869854' date='Jun 17 2010, 01:02 PM']Don't get me wrong, since taking mine out of the external casing it's been problem free, i've played through it for ages and all the gremlins seem to be gone.

However when i got it i had to send it back twice with 2 seperate faults, even then it kept cutting out (overheating i think - hence the case removal).
Fact is it's a bit of a lottery buying one, there are good ones but there's also an awful lot of bad ones with faulty mainboards, sounds like we've been lucky as ours are currently still alive and kicking![/quote]

Indeed.

I took mine out of it's outer case too a few months ago. Not due to any problems. Simply to save another little bit of weight. :)

It does seem to be something of a lottery, and that can only be detrimental to Ashdown's reputation, however excellent their aftersales may be (and it certainly [i][b]is [/b][/i]in my experience!!).