Why become a member? ×

Noisy leads

solo4652

I have an expensive Van Damme cable + Neutrik connectors instrument lead. When I kick it out of the way during a song, you can hear the sound of its movement being amplified by the combo. My cheaper back-up lead is completely quiet in this respect. I'm puzzled - could somebody explain what's happening, please?

Steve

[quote name='escholl' post='876906' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:00 PM']Do you use a passive bass?[/quote]

It happens all the time with my passive Fender P (but only with the Van Damme/Neutrik lead). With my G&L, it only happens when the bass is switched to passive (again, only with the Van Damme/Neutrik lead). When the G&L is switched to active, I don't get the movement noise with either lead.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' post='876941' date='Jun 24 2010, 10:37 PM']It happens all the time with my passive Fender P (but only with the Van Damme/Neutrik lead). With my G&L, it only happens when the bass is switched to passive (again, only with the Van Damme/Neutrik lead). When the G&L is switched to active, I don't get the movement noise with either lead.[/quote]

Right, I thought that might be the case. What is happening is when your bass is in passive mode, it is acting as a high impedance source. The following is from [url="http://www.procosound.com/downloads/whitepapers/Understanding%20Microphone%20Cables.pdf"]this[/url] source:
[quote]The triboelectric effect that causes impact-related “slapping” noise as the cable hits the stage or is stepped
upon during use is related to capacitance, specifically the change in capacitance that takes place as the insulation
or dielectric is deformed. This causes it to behave as a crude piezoelectric transducer, a relative of an electret
condenser microphone. Because such transducers are extremely high-impedance sources, the drastic impedance
mismatch presented by a low-impedance microphone and its preamp or input transformer makes the extraneous
noise generated by triboelectric effects negligible except in cases involving very low-level signals.[/quote]
Basically, the cable itself acts as a microphone, but only when connected to a high impedance at each end, ie your amp and passive bass. When your bass is in active mode, it effectively creates a low impedance at one end of the cable, thus reducing the effect to negligible levels -- hence why it only happens with your passive bass.

As for why it only happens with that cable, it is entirely down to the construction of that cable. How old is the cable? Has it always done this?

[quote name='escholl' post='877440' date='Jun 25 2010, 02:36 PM']....As for why it only happens with that cable, it is entirely down to the construction of that cable....[/quote]
I thought cables went "microphonic" when they were damaged. I think you need a new cable.

[quote name='escholl' post='877440' date='Jun 25 2010, 02:36 PM']Right, I thought that might be the case. What is happening is when your bass is in passive mode, it is acting as a high impedance source. The following is from [url="http://www.procosound.com/downloads/whitepapers/Understanding%20Microphone%20Cables.pdf"]this[/url] source:

Basically, the cable itself acts as a microphone, but only when connected to a high impedance at each end, ie your amp and passive bass. When your bass is in active mode, it effectively creates a low impedance at one end of the cable, thus reducing the effect to negligible levels -- hence why it only happens with your passive bass.

As for why it only happens with that cable, it is entirely down to the construction of that cable. How old is the cable? Has it always done this?[/quote]

Thank you for providing the explanation - and also for providing a translation of it! The faulty cable is now in the bin. I've ordered a new one.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='878089' date='Jun 26 2010, 12:47 PM']Thank you for providing the explanation - and also for providing a translation of it! The faulty cable is now in the bin. I've ordered a new one.

Steve[/quote]

You're welcome! If it's not too late, you may want to just quickly cut the Neutrik connectors off the ends -- they will be fine, and it's always good to have some spares. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='escholl' post='878150' date='Jun 26 2010, 02:08 PM']You're welcome! If it's not too late, you may want to just quickly cut the Neutrik connectors off the ends -- they will be fine, and it's always good to have some spares. :)[/quote]

Amen bro', expensive and worth saving.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' post='880535' date='Jun 29 2010, 12:08 AM']I had one of these cables and the same thing happened to mine after only a few months.
Eventually the silent neutrik connector packed in too. Load of crap and waste of money in my opinion.

Dave.[/quote]

I've just got into the 'Silent' connectors, apparently tested for umpteen million uses, but one of mine makes a loud 'bang' when connected. Others are still good.

Any other experiences with these?