Why become a member? ×

How does a store buy Fenders?

Shambo

I was hoping a few of the music shop retail type forummers could shed some light on this for some initial research I'm undertaking.

Approaching Fender GBI with a view to purchasing new stock from them is something I can't find any information on. An email I sent them has been met with silence. A Google search brings up some some stories from the USA about having to become an official dealership without treading on the toes of any established dealers nearby. I wondered if this was the case for the UK as well?

I can understand why Fender mightn't want to sell in bulk to a retailler such as Tesco's and have their stock sold at discount but what about a start up business such as a small guitar shop or a musical instrument e-commerce venture? Fender products are conspicuous by their absence in some music stores. :) I heard they introduced a 'bricks and mortar' discount for retailers so I know they're trying to incourage high street sales over internet ones. If they do not wish to supply you, are there other ways to aquire their product in bulk/wholesale? Do they have minimum order quotas or do you have to purchase a variety of their lines?

I've got lots of questions and there must be other things I need to know about this and I'll graciously accept PM's aswell on this seemingly shady subject. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shambo

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='884697' date='Jul 3 2010, 11:48 AM']Are you starting a business?[/quote]
I'm trying to, yes. Lots of variables at the moment, the main one occupying my mind is the ability to get hold of new Fenders.

Been there, done that with just about everyone but Fender. They want you to cover an entire wall with Fenders. Quite a big commitment.

Other brands like Vintage (Hornby Skewes), Tanglewood, Burns, Yamaha etc' will queue up to sell you stuff.