Why become a member? ×

London based double bassist required

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Put an advert up in the players wanted section.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93839"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=93839[/url]

May be to no ones taste at all, but thought it worth a shot.
All queries welcomed.

Cheers
Thomas

• 8 months later...
Guest Jecklin

Having been sidetracked by other projects over the past half a year or so I thought I'd bump this as I'd like to try and get going with it again.

Cheers
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin

• 1 year later...
Guest Jecklin

Ok it seems the original thread I've linked to above is so old it can't be added to, and I've had a couple of PMs with questions so I'll summarise here as the project is slightly more rduced than before.

The music is very simple (deliberately so). lots of sustained bowed tones with the percussion providing a background hiss and murmur behind this.
Gentle dissonances resolving to non-sacharinne beauty. Cylic clicky rhythms from the percussion emerging from textural sounds.
There are shifts into more pulse based playing with pizzicato providing a sense movement.
The music is as much about atmosphere as melody - I'd hesitate to call it ambient though.

As long as you can get a nice tone, technical ability isn't vital so this would suit an intermediate player or ambitious learner. There are lots of natural harmonics used too, so there is the facility to help with tuning/intonation as we go.
Grasping the vibe and reduced approach may be the most difficut aspect. ie having the interest and confidence in doing relatively little at times.

At first it would just be a very relaxed get together, establishing the aesthetic and working on textures and sounds. We'd then work through themes I've already composed and then have a go at collaboratively writing to extend these.

Edited by Jecklin